You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joel Matip

aRdja

1 hour ago, clangers said:

Giving some of the most well known perma-crocks a run now, Darren Anderton etc.

Older posters might remember Everton buying a much vaunted lad from Wrexham , David Smallman, in the mid-70s for £100k who became a byword for being injured. Just checked and he played 21 times in 5 years and was offloaded to Oswestry Town !!

2 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Older posters might remember Everton buying a much vaunted lad from Wrexham , David Smallman, in the mid-70s for £100k who became a byword for being injured. Just checked and he played 21 times in 5 years and was offloaded to Oswestry Town !!

Small man Syndrome he had.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Has there ever been a better player in the sicknote category? Most players drop fastly in performance level when they enter the sicknote or permacrock category.

For us I’d say Aurelio was similar to Matip. Every time he played it was obvious he was a good player, and you knew he’d get injured again probably before the next game.

Others imo like Sturridge, Lallana, Ox and even Agger clearly dropped to lower levels due to all the injuries. I’m a massive fan of Hansen as a player, but even if he was good at the end of his time here he was never the same player after all the injuries.

I definitely can't think of a better Liverpool player that is so injury prone. I mean for me when he plays he is one of the best defenders in the world.

At times when I've watched him, I've nearly thought that he was on Virgil's level, which is about the highest compliment I could give him.

It's a genuine shame because he seems like a good lad as well. 

2 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

I definitely can't think of a better Liverpool player that is so injury prone. I mean for me when he plays he is one of the best defenders in the world.

At times when I've watched him, I've nearly thought that he was on Virgil's level, which is about the highest compliment I could give him.

It's a genuine shame because he seems like a good lad as well. 

Aurelio was a real talent

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Did he just go in at half time and his body went SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER 

How did he even make it professionally. How did he get enough time to practice to be good  i reckon as a toddler his dad said kick the ball which he did but then clutched his hamstring and gave it the substitute hand gesture. If mechanics took all those broken parts they replace in cars and made a car it would be called a Matip.

Matip must be owned by Audi. He has a VW engine with Skoda bodywork.

11 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

It has to be the final straw this time. He needs replacing. He’ll see out his contract because nobody will buy him but any games he plays in the future should just be seen as a bonus. He should be seen as the fifth choice CB, meaning we need to buy two more players. 

This rubbish about his injury not being as severe is a joke , when he returns is moot as he will get injured immediately anyway.

4 minutes ago, sir roger said:

This rubbish about his injury not being as severe is a joke , when he returns is moot as he will get injured immediately anyway.

This is was my argument last week. Even if he'd come back and stayed fit for the rest of the season (which he wouldn't), he would still mis 1/3 or more of our games as he can't play twice in a week. Anybody looking at our squad depth wouldn't count matip as any viable option. 95 games in almost 5 years and his injuries are getting more often. 

Out for the rest of the season.

Just confirmed on the offal.

Jürgen Klopp has confirmed Joel Matip is set to miss the remainder of the 2020-21 season due to an ankle ligament injury.

The defender sustained the issue in a challenge to thwart Tottenham Hotspur’s Son Heung-min during the first half of Liverpool’s 3-1 win in London last Thursday.

Further diagnosis of the problem has revealed Matip will be unable to play any further part in the Reds’ campaign.

The champions are already without fellow centre-backs Joe Gomez and Virgil van Dijk due to long-term injuries; however, Klopp’s defensive options have been bolstered by the deadline-day arrivals of Ben Davies and Ozan Kabak.

Detailing Matip’s setback, the manager told Liverpoolfc.com: “Unfortunately, we found out now after everybody looked at it that Joel will be out for the rest of the season.

“But he will be ready for the start of the next pre-season and finally everything will be sorted.”

Praising the No.32’s efforts to play through injuries and sacrifice his own fitness on behalf of the team, Klopp added: “In the end, we have to admit that he probably did that.

“The situation is just, the season started and Joel was injured when the season started, unfortunately. We should not forget that at Schalke when he was there he played pretty much all the time completely through, he never had something.

“Then he was unlucky with a Koulibaly challenge against Napoli in the last second, in the Everton game kind of things, a little bit with the foot here and there. If something started and then the situation is like our situation – that nobody can really wait because of our situation with Virgil out and Joe out – we always had to try to find the first moment when he is able to play again.

“It was really unlucky because it was a brilliant challenge he made actually, he saved our life in that moment in the Tottenham game when he won the challenge against Son.

“But he injured his ankle and played the game on and now is out for the season, so you can imagine how much he tried to stay on the pitch and tried to help us.

“We will wait for him. He has now the rest of this season, then the summer, then the pre-season to get ready again and he will be ready again.”