You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Garth Crooks Wisdom Thread

3 Stacks

I love Garth Crooks. What’s not to like about an oddball with a turn of phrase? I look at him and wonder if the impairment is some sort of special needs or class A situation as mentioned above. But then again, perhaps he’s just zany, in the best British sense, and while other countries will put people like that on the sidelines, we put them on the Telly.

You need a bit of that.

Section's remark that he always speaks like he's telling a ghost story is one of the funniest, most apt observations I've ever heard on Crooks.

Given what he spews out when knowingly being recorded for national media, imagine the throwaway shoulder-chewing mentalisms he dispenses in everyday life. 

If ever someone was made to be on one of those Celebrity Big Brother set-ups.  

• 4 weeks later...

He's off on one about Gareth Southgate not taking g a black coach to the World Cup because of the racism problem in Russia. He says it is a "dereliction of duty".

Oh dear.  He's treading on thin ice playing the racism card,  People like him because he's eccentric and wacky certainly not as a crusader for equal opportunities, 

• 3 weeks later...

Picks both Smalling and Young in his team of the week despite the fact City could have been five up at half time.

According to Garth even though Smalling was at fault for the first goal he produced the performance of a lifetime after it.

And his thoughts on Young even though he could have broken Aguero's leg...."Yes it was a pen but just because Atkinson didn't see it is not Ashley's fault .

Not sure why he didn't just put the whole Utd back four in his team of the week....Fuck it he should have just put them all in

• 2 weeks later...

"I've gone on record as saying I don't think Salomon Rondon is good enough for Premier League football and that's probably why West Brom are staring at relegation.

That said, I can't fault his effort and that is why I have chosen Rondon instead of Alexandre Lacazette, who scored twice for Arsenal on Sunday."

Amazing.

• Upvote 1

From the BBC website:

Liverpool could have been 3-0 up before Mohamed Salah even had his golden chance.

I think he might have been watching Gardener's World instead. His comments certainly bear no correlation to the game I've just watched.

"I can't believe Everton's fans at the moment. Everton were on the floor when Sam Allardyce took over and he's saved them. He's steadied the ship, kept them up and the fans won't give him any credit.

I think some Everton fans are reacting to what is happening across the road at Liverpool, they're seeing what Liverpool are doing, and not concentrating on their own team."

Really Garth, you think Evertonians are more concerned with Liverpool than their own team? Really? Don't know if you've read any news lately Garth lad, but someone's invented something called a 'wheel'.

• Upvote 3

"I can't believe Everton's fans at the moment. Everton were on the floor when Sam Allardyce took over and he's saved them. He's steadied the ship, kept them up and the fans won't give him any credit.

I think some Everton fans are reacting to what is happening across the road at Liverpool, they're seeing what Liverpool are doing, and not concentrating on their own team."

Really Garth, you think Evertonians are more concerned with Liverpool than their own team? Really? Don't know if you've read any news lately Garth lad, but someone's invented something called a 'wheel'.

And then he comes out with that on the same afternoon. Shine on, you crazy diamond!