You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Ballache 2016

Bjornebye

If we end up replacing Coutinho with Gotze for half the price, I won't be too bothered.

The only problem with this theory is if Gotze really doesn't want to come, then who are we going to be able to attract that's better than Coutinho? It's not as if he's irreplaceable but he might be irreplaceable if you take out all the players who wouldn't come to Liverpool.

Our history of replacing Torres with Carroll and Luis Suarez with Lambert and Balotelli means the thought of selling Coutinho terrifies me.

Welcome to LFC Wes Hoolahan.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

If we end up replacing Coutinho with Gotze for half the price, I won't be too bothered.

The only problem with this theory is if Gotze really doesn't want to come, then who are we going to be able to attract that's better than Coutinho?  It's not as if he's irreplaceable but he might be irreplaceable if you take out all the players who wouldn't come to Liverpool.

If we sold Coutinho we wouldn't need to replace him with another attacking midfielder as we already have Firmino and Lallana who also play the position. It wouldn't need to be a like-for-like replacement. It could be a winger, a forward, etc...Replacing Coutinho's production wouldn't be that hard either as for example, Mane had 15 goals and 9 assists to Coutinho's 12 and 7 this season. This wouldn't be like losing a Suarez who scores 30 goals a season, there are players out there who would make worthy replacements.

• Upvote 1

we got more spanners to get rid of first than snap-on tools. why the fuck would we even consider getting rid of our top man before he has had the chance to play in a proper super Klopp line-up? then we'll really see how consistent he is.

if we can get a solid base in, which we are starting to do with a new keeper and central defender, we also got other good creative players that I am sure will thrive under the great man. they need that platform that has not been there.

it's our backline and keeper that's been the problem. with a proper DM in front of that, we'll be laughing.

Klopp knows.

If we sold Coutinho we wouldn't need to replace him with another attacking midfielder as we already have Firmino and Lallana who also play the position. It wouldn't need to be a like-for-like replacement. It could be a winger, a forward, etc...Replacing Coutinho's production wouldn't be that hard either as for example, Mane had 15 goals and 9 assists to Coutinho's 12 and 7 this season. This wouldn't be like losing a Suarez who scores 30 goals a season, there are players out there who would make worthy replacements.

I sort of agree with this, but Lallana is worse than Coutinho and even if you say "no problem, just move Lallana up in the order" you still need to replace Lallana then as a backup.  And I don't think we have another player capable of that.

As for Mane, I think he's overrated and will be hugely overpriced.  Good player but we could do much better on the continent for the money he'd cost.  Southampton won't need to or want to sell so we'd have to give them 35m or so in the end.

I do think that a wide player who is capable of scoring 7-10 league goals is what we need, though.  Sterling would be perfect, actually.  I know I've been accused of a hardon for him in the past but Lucas Moura would fit.  I'd love it if we went for Jese from Real Madrid.  Or even go back in for Salah, but he'd cost the earth.  Anyway, I don't know the specific player but I think even if Mane isn't the exact player I'd want he's at least in the right vein of player, that sort of pacy wide forward who scores goals.

I sort of agree with this, but Lallana is worse than Coutinho and even if you say "no problem, just move Lallana up in the order" you still need to replace Lallana then as a backup.  And I don't think we have another player capable of that.

As for Mane, I think he's overrated and will be hugely overpriced.  Good player but we could do much better on the continent for the money he'd cost.  Southampton won't need to or want to sell so we'd have to give them 35m or so in the end.

I do think that a wide player who is capable of scoring 7-10 league goals is what we need, though.  Sterling would be perfect, actually.  I know I've been accused of a hardon for him in the past but Lucas Moura would fit.  I'd love it if we went for Jese from Real Madrid.  Or even go back in for Salah, but he'd cost the earth.  Anyway, I don't know the specific player but I think even if Mane isn't the exact player I'd want he's at least in the right vein of player, that sort of pacy wide forward who scores goals.

Yeah, agree with the last paragraph. A winger should be the biggest priority in terms of our needs in attack. Mane was just an example really. I too think he is overpriced, although I am a fan of him as a player. Salah would have been absolutely perfect. Missing out on him should be one of the club's biggest regrets. He's as dangerous and dynamic as it gets.

I personally think Moura is someone we should swerve. Would cost a fortune and his end-product isn't the best. Don't think he's improved much as a player in his 3 years at PSG either, although that could be because of the inconsistent game time he's gotten there.

Jese is a great shout, though and I'd also look at players like Keita Balde, Inaki Williams, Berardi, Yarmolenko etc.. Wingers who could also play upfront and are a big goal threat.

If we sold Coutinho we wouldn't need to replace him with another attacking midfielder as we already have Firmino and Lallana who also play the position.

Jesus Christ... Say that to a non Liverpool fan, you'd be laughed out of the room.

They're nowhere near as good as Coutinho. Lallana produced very little last year, and Firmino started and ended the season woefully. Sell them, and replace them with wide players.

Your certainty that Firmino is "nowhere near as good as Coutinho" is amusing, I'll give you that.

On his day he is, definitely, and has a higher ceiling IMO. But both are wildly inconsistent so it's hard to say.

This isn't the thread for this discussion but there is zero indication that Coutinho is miles better than Firmino or that his ceiling is higher. Firmino is only 6 months older and has been more productive (more goals and assists than Coutinho) in every single year of their professional careers except for the 12/13 season.

Also Coutinho has come nowhere near Firmino's 13/14 season of 22 goals and 16 assists. If anything, you could make a great argument that Firmino is the better player.

Not if Sturridge misses his normal 5-6 months they arn't. Origi started to look very good but Firmino isnt in the box to get the tap ins.

I hate to disagree with you on Firmino, however, he managed to pop up for tap ins on three occasions. Palace (A), United (EL, 1st leg) and Villa (A)? Potential is there. If not tap ins, at least in the penalty area. Man City away was close range, for example. Yes it's not often enough, but he can do it.

United are showing if you show enough ambition it doesn't really mater if you can offer champions league football right away.

We've got a manager the equal of theirs but unless the owners back Klopp, we'll not be competing with them anytime soon.

The FSG gangsters showed their ambition by putting our best players (Coutinho, Firmino, Sturridge, Sakho) in the market for sale. That's their ambition, to rob the Football Club from within and sit 8th in the league. Klopp will be gone soon. 

• Downvote 1