You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Ballache 2016

Bjornebye

I agree with what you say, but what do we have to offer top quality players no Europe will be a major factor. The way I see it, we have to follow FSGs plan on young and up and coming players. Getting it right is the problem. With Jurgen at the helm I am quietly confident he will pull some decent signings out the hat.

The same as Utd and Chelsea can offer them with no Champions league/European football.

The club has been run down so much that people just accept it now and buy into it which is sad. We're not some

small provincial club no matter what people say. We've got a world famous stadium that players should want to play in, we're one of the richest clubs in the world, we've just had massive increases in TV revenue and people just accept that we can't attract top players? Nah, not of me. We can attract them but we aren't prepared to do what it takes to attract them.

The image we put out is terrible. All players and agents will talk, we lowball the club for every player we are interested in and often leave the player hanging like Texeira. We offer shite wages in comparison to our competitors, we sell our best players year after year and could continue that this year with Coutinho. The fact we aren't seen as an attractive option is entirely of our own making. That could be reversed but the will isn't there to do that in my opinion.

• Upvote 9

Leicester are the FF version of Godwin's law. Are we really saying NOT spending money is how you win things now? Leicester had a perfect storm of the big clubs collectively shitting there beds and having arguably the 3 best players in the league last season.

It's clearly not a model to follow if you want long term success.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Leicester are the FF version of Godwin's law. Are we really saying NOT spending money is how you win things now? Leicester had a perfect storm of the big clubs collectively shitting there beds and having arguably the 3 best players in the league last season.

Yeah, exactly. I mean, I think you can do very well without worrying too much about spending money, but you really need to just pick the right players for the positions you have available and then judge the player on his attributes.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

In fairness, buying players who play as a team and who turn out to be much better than the money you've spent on them is a fantastic model for success.

Yeah, so is just buying the worlds top players, which is what almost every single winner of the two major competitions have done for the last decade.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Which still fits what I said.

I'm not sure it does with the second part, either way it most certainly doesn't fit what rapey was talking about that you responded to.

Has any team other than Leicester won the league in the last 25 years without spending a decent wedge?

Of course you need to buy the right players and build a team that works but that invariably involves splashing a decent amount of money to get those players, providing you want to Compete at the highest level.

You can go back further than 25 years.

Even when it was ourselves,Everton and Arsenal in the mid to late 80s we could spend more than most when we needed too. Leciester was a freak occurrence but will be used by those that want to as a new model for moving forward

Id settle for some short term success. Had a gut full of 5 year plans

• Upvote 5

Agreed Rapey, we're obviously not signing Gotze and probably not Dahoud either or they would have already been done.

By that logic we aren't signing anyone. Infact no team will sign anyone so we might as well close the window.

Matip and Karius are decent additions, but there's an uneasy feeling among many that these are the type that we usually pat ourselves on that back about, before doing nothing for eight weeks (watching, monitoring, preparing to swoop) and finally spunking double the money saved on panic signings at the eleventh hour.

It's nice not to be linked with Swansea players, but the final piece of the jigsaw is the negotiations, and until we've closed a deal for a decent player who isn't out of contract or has a release clause, I won't be fully convinced things are going to be entirely different under a new manager.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, so is just buying the worlds top players, which is what almost every single winner of the two major competitions have done for the last decade.

The world's top players are either unaffordable for us (in bulk anyway) or don't want to come here as we stand right now, and yes I do think it has more to do with wages than Europe as City proved that for me when they got taken over. I have no doubt that if we had ridiculous sums of money to offer the lot of them they'd all flock here and most would be "boyhood reds" and all that but the fact is we don't. We can spend a large amount on a few priority signings and the others are going to have to be more reasonable fees and wages, whether that's because of their talent level or not is another story.

The owners have signed a manager who has their same ideology. Buy players who want to be at Liverpool and who are okay with being paid less now to earn more as their contract goes up. Perhaps it's a bit old fashioned but if that's the case we need a large influx of money whether it be from FSG winning some sort of financier's lottery which they then spend on the club or us being bought out buy some rich oligarch.

We buy players with potential to improve, then when the small percentage actually work and improve they want to leave because we just keep buying potential so the original players don't want to wait till the new ones improve. It's a shit model for a club like Liverpool with title ambitions, constantly going around in circles.

• Upvote 2

The most annoying thing for me about our transfers is how everyone knows who we buying and its dragged out for weeks and we more times than not don't sign them. This is either just stupidity or else planned?

The mancs were linked with that CB then two days later there's a pic of him with the jersey.

By that logic we aren't signing anyone. Infact no team will sign anyone so we might as well close the window.

Not at all. When we sign someone it goes through relatively quickly - Grujic, Karius, Firmino, etc. Every time the rumours go on for ages we never close the deal, Mkhitaryan, Salah, Sanchez, Etc.

We can still sign someone we haven't started negotiations for or been linked with yet. It's when the names have been in the press for weeks that you know either the player doesn't want to come or we've fucked the deal up.

Benteke is the exception to the rule I'll allow you.

Not at all. When we sign someone it goes through relatively quickly - Grujic, Karius, Firmino, etc. Every time the rumours go on for ages we never close the deal, Mkhitaryan, Salah, Sanchez, Etc.

We can still sign someone we haven't started negotiations for or been linked with yet. It's when the names have been in the press for weeks that you know either the player doesn't want to come or we've fucked the deal up.

Benteke is the exception to the rule I'll allow you.

Depends what you mean by relatively quickly.

Would Matip be a long time or short time for example?

I would say the euro exchange rate is having an effect too. I reckon Ayre is frantically refreshing the Moneysavingexpert travel money maximiser every 5 minutes to get a better deal.

That's a great point. Maybe we will see more movement after the referendum.