You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New York. What to do there?

Anny Road

Good. I flew with United and it was horrible.

My experience of American officialdom is universally efficient but cold and uncompromising and the polar opposite of Americans in all other situations

• 1 year later...

On topic, the things I did in New York included.

One world trade center - both impressive and haunting. I'm not the soppy type but seeing where the buildings were, with the thousands of names around the memorials really hit hard. Not just thousands of office workers, but the names of the police and firemen who went into the rubble to help and never came back out.

Top of the rock - less depressing than the above. Phenomenal views. 9/10. Also, I went up during the day then back at night (had to pay an extra $15 a head for the pleasure) and it was worth it. However, if you have some time, you can go up before sunset and get daytime, sunset and night time views. They don't rush you back down.

Food - Foursquare and TripAdvisor are your friend. I don't think I had a bad meal my while time there. Other people have the same ideas too though so sometimes there's a wait and if you can, book a table ahead and save the waiting.

Subway/Metro - something like $35 for a weeks transport by subway or bus. Excellent value. Regret not taking the bus more and seeing more of NYC topside.

Central park zoo - pretty standard zoo but with an unparalleled skyline surrounding it. Surreal. Also the tropical house was excellent. A lot of birds roaming free, very close to us. Parrots, peacocks etc.

Will add more when I'm not on my phone.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...
30 minutes ago, Mook said:

Very sad to read yesterday that Jimmy Glenn, proprietor of Manhattan's best boozer (Jimmy's Corner) has died of Coronavirus.

https://www.ringtv.com/599140-jimmy-glenn-1930-2020/

Screenshot_20200507-195919_WhatsApp.jpg

That's a cunt. Nice fella him and I love that bar. His son has been running it for a few years, so hopefully it'll keep its character. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

That's a cunt. Nice fella him and I love that bar. His son has been running it for a few years, so hopefully it'll keep its character. 

Aye, he was a great guy & hopefully the bar stays the way it is, I'd love to go back at some point in the not too distant future.

On 08/05/2020 at 16:38, Mook said:

Aye, he was a great guy & hopefully the bar stays the way it is, I'd love to go back at some point in the not too distant future.

I was there in January. Fucking loved it.

Sad news to hear. A legend of the sport and his city.

• Upvote 2

• 2 years later...