You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Islamic Positive Thread

Anny Road

Guest Numero Veinticinco

nothing, but then there is no reason to say that its only a minority that bothered about the cartoons.

Out of interest, and totally leaving aside the maths issues, who said that?

nothing, but then there is no reason to say that its only a minority that bothered about the cartoons.

Being bothered about the cartoons has never been the issue. Trying to impose censorship on another country or using violent retribution is the issue here. The cartoons clearly break the tenets of Islam and peaceful protest is fine by whoever feels it is appropriate.

When Lennon said the Beatles were more popular than Jesus, it was the right of every Christian to stop buying Beatles records. They just didn't have the right to have the Beatles banned or to try to kill them

• Upvote 1

The majority of the followers of the religion in question, do not allow their mothers, sisters, wives and daughters to go to a beach and swim. Some West residing followers of the religion in question allow their flock of female creatures to swim in female only community centre pools while wearing burkinis.

There are no beaches in Crewe.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

you hinted it in #214

Nope, I didn't. I said, quite explicitly, that those making death threats were in the minority. I then asked if a few ambassadors were the majority. None of that is saying 'that its only a minority that bothered about the cartoons'. Had he said that a lot of Muslims were bothered and boycotted products, we'd not have had the conversation. Instead he was banging on about beheading and subjugation, and then death threats about cartoons. These are entirely different things.

Nope, I didn't. I said, quite explicitly, that those making death threats were in the minority. I then asked if a few ambassadors were the majority. None of that is saying 'that its only a minority that bothered about the cartoons'. Had he said that a lot of Muslims were bothered and boycotted products, we'd not have had the conversation. Instead he was banging on about beheading and subjugation, and then death threats about cartoons. These are entirely different things.

Can I clarify here? Are you challenging the stance that the mainstream, majority views of muslims in many, many countries (some of the most populous) are utterly abhorrent? And we're talking very specific religious views here - like the punishment for choosing to no longer be of that religion.

When I hear muslim my pre-judgement (which we all do, in every contact with other people) is pretty much that I'm willing to give everyone a chance but that statistically they are more likely to hold some fucked up views. Reality will do that to a man.

• Upvote 1

There were protests and riots all around the muslim countries, hundreds died and many embassies were attacked, dont try to down play it please.

All this happened over 12 cartoons.

Hundreds died and Embassies attacked?

I heard of embassies being protested against but didnt hear about the hundreds of deaths.

How did these deaths come about and have you got some sources so I can read about it?

Hundreds died and Embassies attacked?

I heard of embassies being protested against but didnt hear about the hundreds of deaths.

How did these deaths come about and have you got some sources so I can read about it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jyllands-Posten_Muhammad_cartoons_controversy

After the Danish government refused to meet with diplomatic representatives of the Muslim countries and would not intervene in the case, a number of Danish imams visited the Middle East in late 2005 to raise awareness of the issue. As a result, the issue received prominent media attention in some Muslim countries, leading to protests across the world in late January and early February 2006. Some escalated into violence resulting in more than 200 reported deaths, attacks on Danish and other European diplomatic missions, attacks on churches and Christians, and a major international boycott.

Happy to help.

None of that is sourced on wikipedia.  Imagine that.

You have to go to the detailed page for that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_Jyllands-Posten_Muhammad_cartoons_controversy

To pick a few:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4684652.stm

At least five people have been killed in Afghanistan as protests against European cartoons mocking the Prophet Muhammad swept across the country.

Two people died when protesters turned on the US airbase at Bagram - although the US has had no involvement with the images, which originated in Denmark.

Meanwhile in Somalia, a teenage boy died after protesters attacked police.

Iran announced it was halting trade with Denmark, as protesters pelted the Danish embassy with petrol bombs.

Police fired tear gas in a bid to keep back hundreds of angry demonstrators, some of whom attempted to scale the wall into the embassy compound. Earlier, the Austrian embassy in Tehran came under attack.

http://in.rediff.com/news/2006/feb/15cartoon1.htm

An Indian sailor was allegedly beaten to death by his colleagues on board a Norwegian oil tanker in the international waters off the coast of Fujairah in the United Arab Emirates following an argument over the publication of cartoons of the Prophet Mohammad in some European newspapers.

A fight ensued among the seamen after an argument over the issue, causing the death of one sailor, a media report said.

Official sources confirmed the death of 31-year-old Sudhir Jagannathan, a native of Mumbai.

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/africa/02/17/libya.cartoons/index.html

Eleven people were killed and an Italian consulate was burned in Libya on Friday night during protests to denounce the publication of cartoons depicting the Prophet Mohammed, sources in Libya said.

There also was a "high number" of injuries, said an official with the Italian Embassy in Tripoli.

http://archive.today/M29e8

Demonstrators in Afghanistan, joining an international wave of Muslim fury over the publication of offensive cartoons, attacked a Norwegian-led military base on Tuesday. Four demonstrators were killed and at least 20 others injured, including five Norwegians.

The demonstrators threw stones and hand grenades at the offices and military camp of the Norwegian-led troops in the town of Maymana, capital of the Faryab province in western Afghanistan. That turned the protest action, which began peacefully, into "a violent episode," according to an observer.

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/africa/02/18/cartoon.roundup/index.html

LAGOS, Nigeria (CNN) -- Sixteen people were killed and 11 churches were burned Saturday in Nigeria as part of the continuing violence over cartoons of Islam's Prophet Mohammed.

The violence comes a day after at least 10 people were killed in Libya and another in Pakistan, where five deaths have been reported in the past week.

Happy to help.

Thanks for the help.

Wish those damn journos would stop using words like 'allegedly' and 'according to a bystander' it might just have people questioning some of those events happening.

The vast vast majority of Muslims are good people and have a very close community. I'm even mates with a few of them despite their dislike of bacon.

Actually a couple of them eat bacon, drink booze and are just like me.... Crazy times!!!

It is funny when they tell you not to let on that they were hammered the weekend before if their Ma is around though.