You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Goodbye Suarez

boots123

The manager is always the main man. The riches of Chelsea and Man C doesn't change that.

Yeah, and we seem to have a particularly ace one. Which is why I'm not as worried about losing the best player in the world as I should be

Going on about Suarez being a mediocre/shit red is cringeworthy. He came here here to further his career, did so and moved on. Deal with it.

I have, that's why he's a mediocre red. He never embraced the club like the very best Liverpool players did, despite being given far more support for his behaviour than any Liverpool player I can remember in recent times. There's more to being a great Liverpool player than simply being a great player.

• Upvote 3

Yeah, and we seem to have a particularly ace one. Which is why I'm not as worried about losing the best player in the world as I should be

Good for you. I'm very worried. Not only because we've lost Luis, but more because who we seem to look to replace him with.

Players come and go and that is life, he is a special talent, who always wanted to play for one of the two spanish clubs, not sure he was that arsed which one but either or really.

He brought a lot of brilliant times to the club but he also dragged us through the mud but all said and done I am sad to see him go.  Talent like he has is hard to find and coupled with his work ethic is next to impossible.

We move on, the move had to happen, we could not have held on to him and waited for the next bit of madness, which would have been the end. 

So good luck you little genius, thanks for the memories and just remember the adulation you had at a very special place, you will never get it again, our loss and your loss.

Liverpool legend my bollocks, one of the best players to wear the shirt yes but that does not make you a legend.   

• Upvote 3

I hav'nt read the whole thread, and I have no idea of the details of the transfer. Genuine question from ignorance on the matter. Was he pushed out?

No, it appears that once he realised that his profile here was attracting interest from Spain that was where he was headed.

He never played a full season for us, and his self-destruction in the most important tournament of his life will always raise questions about his psyche.

Spot on those who've said he brought back the excitement and love for football. If I could think of a perfect antidote to my sense of apathy with the focus having shifted away from our immediate fortunes on the pitch via the infighting, increasingly awful football and political sides taken during the latter era of Rafa, the unremitting awfulness of Hodgson and the all-encompassing death roll with crocodile tears of Duke and Duke, it would be Luis Suarez.

Though he went on to be even better, and his goal return improved several times, my abiding memory of him will be just destroying United on Kenny's 60th, that ridiculous dribble through the middle of their defence for Kuyt's first, the massacring of Fulham - including that one movement he controlled the ball away from Schwarzer and scored with - and just how much riotous fun the second half of that season became, out of the ashes of something truly dreadful.

The team and fanbase just seemed to be collectively letting off steam after such unbelievably grim times, and he was personally emblematic of the party spirit and joyous sense of rebirth. In reality, he gave us a whole lot more than just the Champions League football he propelled us back to and we trebled our money on him. As far as successful signings go, few will match that in many a long year.

I won't be able to help watching him for Barca, he makes compelling viewing and fuck all the faux moralising and skirt hitching of the wider media. I watch sport for escapism, to see things which make me jump up, laugh at how absurdly good the very best are, and above all to be surprised and entertained. He's a streetwise, wildman genius, and all the more gratifying to watch for it.

• Upvote 9

Anyone care to take a guess at what stunt he'll pull at Barca when he implodes again ?  Which he invariably will.  Could he really be as loopy as to have another public chew on someone, what other naughtiness can he get up to on the pitch ?

I hav'nt read the whole thread, and I have no idea of the details of the transfer. Genuine question from ignorance on the matter. Was he pushed out?

Would be nice if the truth willed out. LFC's first stance in any of this was in fee negotiation with Barca. We could be forgiven for believing any of the media bullshit over the last few  weeks saying that we had to sell him. We most certainly did not.

But what does it matter now anyway.

I think Barcelona is a great city and I love the Nou Camp, but bollocks to going out of my way to watch Barcelona just because Luis Suarez has signed for them.

You say you don't go out of your way to watch Liverpool Tony, so that might not shock too many people.

Anyone care to take a guess at what stunt he'll pull at Barca when he implodes again ? Which he invariably will. Could he really be as loopy as to have another public chew on someone, what other naughtiness can he get up to on the pitch ?

He's got Barca/Madrid cauldron explosion written all over him, especially as players will be going out of their way to wind him up. He may actually eat Ronaldo.

• Upvote 1

Would be nice if the truth willed out. LFC's first stance in any of this was in fee negotiation with Barca. We could be forgiven for believing any of the media bullshit over the last few  weeks saying that we had to sell him. We most certainly did not.

Cos you know.