You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Suarez bite v2

Chippo

If Barcelona want one of the biggest names in world football, and in doing so, weaken our first team, then I fully support our demanding the full sum up front.

If they can't afford to do so, then they can fuck off. Performance related payments my arse.

Fuck off Barcelona.

It's going to happen however much you're against a payment structure, so it's pointless getting wound up by it.

It's going to happen however much you're against a payment structure, so it's pointless getting wound up by it.

What winds me up about this is that we are going to be weakened by the loss of one of the world's top strikers, that is a fact. If we only get dribs and drabs from Barcelona, how can we seriously hope to fund a genuine replacement?

We do need another body upfront without a shadow of doubt...Sturridge is first class, but is prone to injury, and we will, unless we are very lucky this season, lose him for so many games. Borini? Yes did a job for Sunderland but he didn't convince me in a Liverpool shirt. Lambert will stick penalties away for sure...but at the end of the day we will still be looking at a Suarez sized hole to fill. For that to happen we need the bulk of any transfer fee upfront or we are going to look like mugs when it comes to transfer business.. again.

It doesn't work like that though. You don't just give tens of millions of pounds regardless. The way it happens is that you show you can afford to pay it and selling Suarez will show that we are good for the money in any subsequent signing we make.

What winds me up about this is that we are going to be weakened by the loss of one of the world's top strikers, that is a fact. If we only get dribs and drabs from Barcelona, how can we seriously hope to fund a genuine replacement?

The fact we've got £75m coming in over however many seasons gives us the credit we need to spend £75m and structure it similarly. It's common place as I understand it, we're not being had off and other teams will be happy to negotiate the same sort of deal.

The fact we've got £75m coming in over however many seasons gives us the credit we need to spend £75m and structure it similarly. It's common place as I understand it, we're not being had off and other teams will be happy to negotiate the same sort of deal.

We will have the sale in our accounts as a receivable and the money will be in the P+L which effectively allows us to spend it. Obviously having cash instead of debtors is better but I'm sure we will be charging Barca the interest and any insurance costs if we extend the terms

Just out of curiosity, does FFP affect the payment structure?

By that I mean, normally, Liverpool might be ok with a payment plan from Barca, but with FFP in place,  do Liverpool need more money up front from Barca?

I'm assuming (I don't know) that if they were to get 25 million for the next three seasons, that's only 25 on the books this year, when it might be a lot more useful to have 50+ or even the full whack. 

And of course, the same applies to Barca... can they afford to lose 75 in one single year? 

I'm not talking about the ability to afford it, just how it ends up looking on the books for FFP.

Maybe it's a factor for either or both clubs?

By that I mean, normally, Liverpool might be ok with a payment plan from Barca, but with FFP in place,  do Liverpool need more money up front from Barca?

I'm assuming (I don't know) that if they were to get 25 million for the next three seasons, that's only 25 on the books this year, when it might be a lot more useful to have 50+ or even the full whack. 

And of course, the same applies to Barca... can they afford to lose 75 in one single year? 

I'm not talking about the ability to afford it, just how it ends up looking on the books for FFP.

Money spent on players is amortised over the length of the contract. So Barca's spending will be reported as £15m each year for the next five years. I'm not sure how it works with money received

Possibly. I guess if we do find ourselves in trouble we can always cheat the system using phoney sponsorship deals due to our grossly wealthy owners. Then we could get away to buy vast hoards of world class players, many of whom will play only a handful of games, and just about win the league whilst celebrating as if we did something noteworthy.

• Upvote 1

Possibly. I guess if we do find ourselves in trouble we can always cheat the system using phoney sponsorship deals due to our grossly wealthy owners. Then we could get away to buy vast hoards of world class players, many of whom will play only a handful of games, and just about win the league whilst celebrating as if we did something noteworthy.

Like the Murphys?

I wish we would tell Barca to fuck off. We should be keeping the lad. Selling one of the best players in the world seems fucking stupid, biter or not.

Well, I have seen some reports suggesting we're demanding the full fee up front. So there's a chance Barca either can't or won't do that. Doesn't necessarily mean he's staying though as for all we know Real are just letting Barcelona do the grunt work and will stump up the full fee later.

If it turns out Barca can't/won't and Real really aren't interested it would effectively mean we've kept our best player and denied him a move without actually coming out and denying him the move. Not saying it's likely as I do think he'll be sold but it's certainly a possibility.

FIFA have rejected the appeal. BBC reporting

He can apparently go to the Court of Arbitration in Sport whatever that might be but seems the 4 month blanket ban is staying.

Cue Barca fucking about with the price and terms . I suppose there's a very slim chance this deal might collapse now. Wenger will be looking even more miserable than usual unable to unveil his marquee signing. 

There is no way the four month ban will stand in CAS. I'd be very surprised if it did. The main problem with associations like FIFA, FA etc. is that they make the laws, prosecute and enforce them which is unacceptable under any other circumstances in life but somehow not in this case. This mock ban is just ridiculous and extremely harsh compared to much worse things that have happened on a football pitch.

There is no way the four month ban will stand in CAS. I'd be very surprised if it did. The main problem with associations like FIFA, FA etc. is that they make the laws, prosecute and enforce them which is unacceptable under any other circumstances in life but somehow not in this case. This mock ban is just ridiculous and extremely harsh compared to much worse things that have happened on a football pitch.

I don’t think the ban would be reduced if it went to the CAS.

Third offence, simulating injury, then lying about the offence subsequently, is an unprecedented rap sheet. Compound that with the stage in front of hundreds of millions, and he has not much to complain about (unlike us).

At some point, if you are sorry ( and I don’t think he is) you have to take your medicine. Devoting his banned time to charity, and his wages to that charity while banned, would be a good start.

• Upvote 1

@JamesPearceEcho: Suarez appeal rejected. 4 month ban upheld. That hugely genuine apology appears to have cut no ice.

Pay £75M or fuck off then Barca. Either way he won't be seen at Anfield before November, so do your worst with attempting to piss us around, as we're actively planning without him for the season's start.

One thing that will be interesting is if he goes to CAS and gets the ban reduced the implication is that we could have had his ban last season reduced too.

I'm not 100% on this but I read somewhere that CAS only consider taking up the case once the sportsperson or team have gone through all available dispute resolution channels within their particular sport. Since Suarez's ban was laid down by FIFA - which is football's highest authority - he'd be able to take his case directly to CAS. Whether they'd take on the case is another matter.