You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Agger: Rodgers doesn't think I'm good enough

tlw content

That video has convinced me Lovren is the man!

wait I had a read of his wikipedia and found this.. He sounds like a major nerd. Should probably avoid. 

He is also a huge fan of the popular trading cards "match attax" and is the fifth biggest collector of the cards currently residing in the UK.[25

When I see stats of Agger vs Sakho, I try to remember how people would ridicule Code for using them so much, mainly because they simply cannot tell you everything, and in some cases miss out important aspects. I hope some on here can remember that when they see that "statistically", Sakho is better than Agger.

Maybe he is better than him, but I definitely won't be trusting stats for that information.

For instance, I keep seeing how Sakho is better in almost every department. So a couple of mins ago decided to search for clean sheets, and found this.

I'm not trying to use stats to show why people shouldn't rely on stats, it's more about how omitted stats can cause issues in this case. Wherever this is missed out, it could play a big part in giving a badly imbalanced view (that's if these stats are right of course.) :

Q9qU1oq.png

http://eplindex.com/54133/daniel-agger-to-leave-liverpool-agger-stats-compared-to-sakho.html

For instance, I keep seeing how Sakho is better in almost every department. So a couple of mins ago decided to search for clean sheets, and found this.

I'm not trying to use stats to show why people shouldn't rely on stats, it's more about how omitted stats can cause issues in this case. Wherever this is missed out, it could play a big part in giving a badly imbalanced view (that's if these stats are right of course.) :

Q9qU1oq.png

http://eplindex.com/54133/daniel-agger-to-leave-liverpool-agger-stats-compared-to-sakho.html

Sit tight.   Numero will be along in a minute

Sit tight.   Numero will be along in a minute

With respect to Numero I don't think it really matters, because I wasn't using those stats to show how Sakho has to be worse. Was just trying to point out that selective stats (individual in this case.) showing how Sakho is better aren't giving the full story.

Stats never tell the full story and the Clean Sheet stat is a particularly muddy and bollocks one. 

The best way to make a judgement is to watch football games and have a good background of having watched, coached and played a lot of football, combined with being clever, open-minded and good looking.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Sit tight. Numero will be along in a minute

What's the point, mate? If people use the clean sheet stat in the first place, I think you're already onto a losing battle. It's a stat for the hard of thinking.

Another thing that should be affecting that, not that I'm trying to focus on it anyway, is that Sakho clearly has to adapt to playing for us, and work out how to play with Skrtel properly. Agger obviously didn't have that problem so there's an instant advantage from the start. Then there's the nerves the team had to endure in the final games which would've been clearly worse for the players, so yeah, just another example of how stats don't give the full picture.

Shouldn't have posted those stats, I thought it'd backfire and should've just stopped after the first post.

The intention wasn't to show or hint at how Agger must be better because of those clean sheets, it was the opposite : to show how stats don't give the full picture.

Looking at some of them again though I'm surprised at how much Sakho is better in them than Agger, because in the past Agger has often been a lot better in several areas when his have been shown against other players. Maybe if Sakho settles into the side next season our defence will actually start improving more, and those stats do actually give a decent indication. It just bothers me that things are reduced to stats so often.

I blame Rafa and Lucas.

I cant see why its such an issue for folk to say Sakho isn't a £16m player. He might turn into one but we definitely overpaid for someone who was warming PSGs bench. But that's been the case with most our transfer dealings the last 2 windows. Let's see what next season brings when he's been settled a year.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Another thing that should be affecting that, not that I'm trying to focus on it anyway, is that Sakho clearly has to adapt to playing for us, and work out how to play with Skrtel properly. Agger obviously didn't have that problem so there's an instant advantage from the start. Then there's the nerves the team had to endure in the final games which would've been clearly worse for the players, so yeah, just another example of how stats don't give the full picture.

Mate, you need to rewatch the games Agger and Skrtel played. Even if it's the opening half against Newcastle. Agger has been costing goals all season. He has been costing chances all season. This is an absolute myth that we are better with Agger in the side.

I cant see why its such an issue for folk to say Sakho isn't a £16m player. He might turn into one but we definitely overpaid for someone who was warming PSGs bench. But that's been the case with most our transfer dealings the last 2 windows. Let's see what next season brings when he's been settled a year.

He played 35 times for PSG last season, with the vast majority of them being starts. He played almost double the amount of games last season for PSG than he did for us this season. We didn't pick up a second rate bench warmer. We picked up a top performer, an experienced young centre back, leading at club and youth international level for years, who has long been heralded as one of the best young players around.

I saw a stat that said Sakho lose 50% of his headers while Agger only lose 30%, for a CB thats pretty damning in Sakho's case.

I haven't seen one that recently, but I remember earlier in the season when this Agger/Sakho thing came up they were about the same in % of "aerial duels won", as Opta calls it.  About 65% for both it was.  Skrtel was similar as well I think, whereas Toure was about 40%.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I saw a stat that said Sakho lose 50% of his headers while Agger only lose 30%, for a CB thats pretty damning in Sakho's case.

There's a 9% difference between their 'headed duels'. However, that stat likely doesn't include all the times that Agger loses his man and doesn't even jump. I doubt either the pen vs Stoke or the goal vs Southampton are even covered by that stat.

Mate, you need to rewatch the games Agger and Skrtel played. Even if it's the opening half against Newcastle. Agger has been costing goals all season. He has been costing chances all season. This is an absolute myth that we are better with Agger in the side.

Might do in the near future, and thanks.

So we know what we need now : Ayre to pull off a swap deal with Barca for Pique and Agger, and because we swapped Agger, get a reduced price on Pedro.

Sounds easy this transfer business lark. Yes I'll get my coat.