You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

It's like some sort of social experiment in lunacy this thread.

We don't sign a striker by the close of the window then by all means go nuts. But let's not create this self perpetuating story that seems to be gathering steam and being added too on each repetition that's winding people into a frenzy based on nothing.

• Upvote 3

Pre season or otherwise, we didn't score from open play against the 7th best team in England. And we conceded 3. Again.

Yes a few were missing, but the same can be said of the 7th placed team.

Hopefully that injects those in recruitment at the club with the sobering reality that we still need quality. And quick.

A week on Sunday and we go again.

Chop chop

By my reckoning, they were only missing Van Persie.

We were missing (probable starters) Lovren, Enrique, Lallana, Markovic, Sturridge.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Nor am I but this isn't some star struck teenager and it would have been reasonable to expect Lambert to hit the ground running. The signs are not good which ever way you spin it

He has been playing well for two seasons. Some pretty season games matter little.

Nor am I but this isn't some star struck teenager and it would have been reasonable to expect Lambert to hit the ground running. The signs are not good which ever way you spin it

He hasn't played a competitive game yet, there are no signs as it's no more than a running session and hopefully some time for his team mates to get to know him and vice versa.

After spending almost £100m on players, is this our strongest XI?

Mignolet

Johnson    Skrtel    Sakho    Enrique

Gerrard

Allen   Henderson

Sterling            Coutinho

Sturridge

Why is everyone posting about how much we need a striker?

Of course we need a striker.  We're going to buy another striker.  Brendan has already come out and said so.  You can say what you like about our overall transfer window plan (and I have already, with the Lallana signing for me being particularly puzzling if we knew Suarez was off) but the window is far from over.

When we entered the window we needed a few things:

- 2 new fullbacks who know how to defend

- a centreback who, again, knows how to defend

- a "presence" in midfield who can slow down opposition counterattacks while also contributing to our own attacking play when on the ball

- some sort of combination of attacking players that can replace at least 20 of the 31 league goals Suarez scored between them

As far as I can tell, we're about to get Moreno/Manquillo this week.  That would be point one checked off the list.  We already got Lovren, I'm not his biggest fan but I'm hoping it's not all just hype and that he actually is that good.  Carra's description of his defending gives me some hope there.  And anyway, when you spend 20 million on a central defender, at the very least you can't make the argument that the transfer committee failed to try to prioritise the problem.  So that's number 2 ticked off the list.  

Can seems to be, improbably for 10 million, a possible answer to number 3.  Early days but the signs are very good.  That leaves just number four, and Rodgers has already said that he will bring in another attacking player.  Turan?  Lavezzi?  Benzema?  Firmino?  Bony?  Lacazette?  Fischer?  I don't know who it's going to be, and until we see who it is we probably shouldn't complain too much.  In any event, Lallana was hugely overpriced but he gives us depth and probably about 5 or 7 league goals.  If Markovic can add about that number as well, then all we need out of this additional striker is 8 or 10 league goals and we've accomplished all our objectives (even if Lambert only scores 2 or 3).

So yeah, it might look a bit bleak at the moment but add Manquillo, Moreno and a decent striker to the players already brought in and everything looks much, much rosier.

• Upvote 2

Mignolet

Gerrard

Allen   Henderson

Sturridge

We'll have deals done for the two Spanish fullbacks very soon you'd think.

There was definitely interest from Liverpool for Arda. He was available for €18m last summer. Rodgers wanted him a lot, according to him.

Turan for the price of Aspas and Alberto, assuming he was available for that price.

YouKnowWhatSucks.gif

• Upvote 1

Hopefully Moreno will be a big upgrade on the left back position but Manquillo is a 20 year old who played 3 league games for Atletico last season, I'd be stunned if he displaced Johnson from the starting XI this year.

I always think the best way to add depth to a squad is to sign improvements on what you already had on the pitch and let the previous starters either up their game or drop down the pecking order. We seem to have spent a lot of money buying players who are, at best, on par with what we had, giving us greater depth but no great injection of quality. We'll have to wait and see how the new arrivals do but with almost £150m to spend and Champions League football on offer, I'm a bit underwhelmed by the window so far.

Mignolet

Gerrard

Allen   Henderson

Sturridge

So the 40+ odd mill on Lallana and Markovic was to warm the bench ?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Turan for the price of Aspas and Alberto, assuming he was available for that price.

We should have got him for 8m before Downing.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Mignolet

Johnson Skrtel Sakho Enrique

Gerrard

Allen Henderson

Sterling Coutinho

Sturridge

Nope.

Mignolet

Manquillo(or Flanno)              Lovren                       Sakho                               Moreno              

Gerrard

Can                         Henderson

Sterling                                                Coutinho

Sturridge

The above is how I see the team shaping up come Sunday week.

I know Brendan loves Allen, but I think Can will have made a big impression on him since his arrival and I have this feeling he might nick a spot in the starting 11 by the beginning of the season. He looks like a powerhouse and seems to be technically excellent.

I can't see Johnson starting the season with the rapidly improving Flanno who would run through brick walls for us moving back to his natural position and the supposedly excellent Manquillo (he could be shite - I'm suspicious that Athletico seem to have given us such a brilliant deal). If Moreno isn't signed, then Flanno will be at left back in my opinion. At centre half, I think Brendan views the partnership of Sakho and Lovren as his future long term pairing, so I would expect them to begin the season together. Alot of changes in defence which is normally a very bad thing for a team, but in our case, we can't do any worse defensively than last season, so there should be an improvement.