You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

We're not winning the title this year

WhiskeyJar

Since January 20, a whole 3 weeks ago, when Everton drew with West Brom, every team in the top half has dropped points to a team in the bottom half. Also in that time, every team in the top half has dropped points at least twice with the exception of Chelsea (0-0 with West Ham the only points dropped)

All that happened before European competition resumes next week, which will affect City, Chelsea, the Mancs, Arse, Spurs. Everton are struggling a bit with some tougher fixtures of late. Fucking hell, City failed to even score against the might of Norwich and amazingly have their squad depth being tested despite spending a trillion dollars.

How people can see results like that and say the title race is a foregone conclusion is beyond me. Jim Beglin summed it up best during his commentary of the Arsenal game- It's one of those seasons where if you can just hang in there, all of a sudden you could find yourself in the mix with a handful of games to go, when every team feels the pressure and crazy results are regular. 

Totally agree.

Which is why it would be so invaluable to string 5 or 6 wins together. Now.

It could see us right in the mix with a month or so to go.

I'm certainly, certainly not ruling us out.

• Upvote 1

I think of the games we have left we will lose to Southampton. The Chelsea and City games at home I fancy us but they both could end as a draw or  a loss. The United away and Spurs at home we should win both but Spurs will be out for revenge and United will be up for fucking us up for fourth place.

Of the rest I have a sneaky feeling we will drop points to Palace.Of the other teams I dont think Chelsea will lose more than two more but I can see them drawing a few games. I think City may be a bit unpredictable till there goal scoring machine returns. Arsenal I dont think will lose many points either. Beneath us I reckon the bitters have burnt out and I can see a possible Spurs late surge which will make the game against us into a fourth place decider.

How the fuck are spurs 3 points behind us? Anyway as for the title, i think we can win it. I had a dream a year or 2 ago about us winning the league with an unproven manager getting the best from our team. 

Chelsea wont win every game, they drew at home to west ham so results can go our way. But realistically we have to win almost all our remaining games.

Can't see it this year. Good as we are when we're good (and we're very good), when it doesn't click early on, we do become quite laboured more often than not. We're not going to blitz everyone away in the first half for the remainder of the season.

Our first choice 12 or 13 players can get us relatively close. However to win the league, at some point we'll have to come from behind and stage a great comeback or two.

I just don't see us having the quality on the bench (players such as Aspas, Moses, Alberto) that can come on and unlock a resolute, 10 men behind the ball defence, or change a game and rescue three points for us a couple of times.

In a way it makes it all the more frustrating that we bought poorly in the summer and didn't strengthen in January. However, we'd have all taken this at the start of the season and we certainly look to be getting somewhere.

Just imperative we do get into that top four, and then win our qualifier.

• Upvote 1

Of course we can win it. We should definitely be aiming for that.

Agree, the club should be, but every time I hear someone in the club talk about it I wait for the inevitable crash. Rogers is playing it right... say no publicly, but hopefully, privately, with the team, he's urging them on to better things. 

Just imagine town after the Newcastle game on

11 May if we were to win it. 1 of the best nights I've ever had was Mathew St after the last game V Coventry in 1990. And it was regular back in the day. This would be 24 times better. Let's fuckin 'ave it. Play every game like its Arsenal. Tempo, pressing, 100% effort, not like that shit we served up v West Brom & we got a chance

I think that's basically what would have to happen for us to win the title, actually.

If we put together a very good close to the season, I think we could end up as high as 81 points.  The only way 81 points is winning the league is if City and Chelsea slip up.  Now, Chelsea have just dropped 2 points last night, so it's not exactly out of the realm of possibility, but the fact is that it's quite unlikely.  81 points is almost never enough to win the league, so it would mean that we would win it more due to inconsistency of the top teams rather than true brilliance from us.  

If we won it on the back of a 5-0 win away over Spurs, a 4-0 win over Everton, a 5-1 win over Arsenal... and potential home wins over Chelsea and City... I'd say we'd have shown as much brilliance as the others had inconsistency.

It would be a brilliance-sprinkled stumble, as far as stumbles go.

Just imagine town after the Newcastle game on

11 May if we were to win it. 1 of the best nights I've ever had was Mathew St after the last game V Coventry in 1990. And it was regular back in the day. This would be 24 times better. Let's fuckin 'ave it. Play every game like its Arsenal. Tempo, pressing, 100% effort, not like that shit we served up v West Brom & we got a chance

Oh, wow, I hadnt even thought of that! I was just thinking yesterday that it might be good to try and get a ticket for the last home game as I like that end of term atmosphere but if......if......no....it couldnt happen. But what if it did....