You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Would you accept a Stadium name change for £50 million+ a season?

Megadrive Man

Big money Stadium name change  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Would you accept a stadium name change for £50 million + a season?

It seems like Real Madrid are about to start playing in either the Microsoft or Coca Cola stadium.

Reports saying that they will get in the region of 50 to 80 million!

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11835/9011436/primera-division-real-madrid-have-confirmed-talks-over-renaming-santiago-bernabeu

http://www.mundodeportivo.com/20140116/real-madrid/coca-cola-podria-pagar-80-kilos-al-ano-para-unir-su-nombre-al-del-bernabeu_54398177597.html

Simple question, would you be accept the renaming of our historic stadium if we were offered a huge amount of money to do it?

I am sure FSG will be watching the developments of this Real Madrid deal with interest. 

Who knows, it could go the way of Sports Direct Arena or whatever the fuck it's called now, people still refer to it as St James' Park. That ends up being the best of both worlds, the stadium retains its history in one sense, yet reap the commercial benefits of a name change. Especially if it funded a revamp of Anfield and retained the 'Anfield' part in any renaming.

To compare it to two stadiums in Melbourne- one was built in 2000 and has had 3 different sponsorships in that time (Colonial Stadium, Telstra Dome, Etihad Stadium) and people generally come around to using the new name each time it changes.

The other is the Melbourne Cricket Ground. Now as unlikely as it is that it will ever change its name, from my own point of view, it is and will always be known as the MCG, or simply 'The G' for short, as many people call it. So regardless of whether any sponsor wanted to tack their own brand on the front of it. I know I wouldn't be alone in still using the famous old name.

We're going to build a round, brown outer-shell around Anfield as it is now. It'll have a pink roof, open, and covered in giant multi-couloured mini stripes. It'll look like this (but with a pink roof) and will be re-named The Donut.

krispy-kreme-donut.jpg

As Liverpool FC is such a common name, I expect the owners to lobby the FA to change it to something more commercially friendly such as Liverpool Dunkers. Have that Hull Tigers!

No.

I dont see anyway what the advertising benefits a sponsor would gain from a stadium being in their brand name, a huge outlay of cash to hear your company name once a week on sky sports which will not reach every household.

Does the sportdirect or jjb stadia make me want to shop there? no it doesn't.

No.

I dont see anyway what the advertising benefits a sponsor would gain from a stadium being in their brand name, a huge outlay of cash to hear your company name once a week on sky sports which will not reach every household.

The advertising clearly does benefit the sponsors in some way or you wouldn't get companies willing to pay 50 million for the rights.

No.

The main purpose of advertising is not to make you buy their product but to buy their brand. If you are in the market for sports goods, JJB would hope you go to one of their stores through knowing their name. If you are not in the market for sports goods, their advertising is not aimed at you.

And the PL is a global product. That we would still refer to it as Anfield, doesn't mean when the game is being shown in Asia - or wherever - the people there wouldn't refer to the stadium as the 'Dunkin' Donuts Dome'.

Renaming a stadium like Anfield would have a massive global reach and would massively appeal to sponsors.

No.

The advertising clearly does benefit the sponsors in some way or you wouldn't get companies willing to pay 50 million for the rights

The tax benifits are huge. If they 'pay' out money for promotions it's none tax deductable, which means, perversly, that the more they spend, within reason, the more they siphon off as profit.

That's the logic of capitalism for you!

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Suarez + Sturridge + Coutinho = 44m

Yeah, I'd just about manage hearing the commentator hilariously saying, 'welcome to Anfield... Oops, I mean the dunkin donut arena' every match of it mean that extra fire power.

No.  I just couldn't stomach it.  It will be some global brand and I hate them all.  I am sick of the entire world being taken over by these ever-consolidating corporations.  In Britain alone, every supermarket is Tesco, every pie shop is Greggs, every petrol station is BP and every hotel is Premier Inn.  Don't get me started on cafes.

It might come as a shock to those younger than 30 but there used to be independently owned supermarkets, pie shops, petrol stations and hotels.  Diversity has been lost and nobody cares.

• Upvote 3

Its going to happen eventually anyway.

I wonder if companies can sponsor two stadiums?

I suppose coca cola could get away with it. Bernabeu will be The Coca Cola Stadium whereas Goodison could become The Coke Zero stadium.

It most probably will happen.

Any posters on here that remembers when Hitachi first sponsored us, were people pissed off then?

City & Arsenal have it and as Newcastle proved, fans will still call its original name, Christ I still call Arsenals Highbury and they moved near 10 years ago.

It might come as a shock to those younger than 30 but there used to be independently owned supermarkets, pie shops, petrol stations and hotels. Diversity has been lost and nobody cares.

I've just been to get my hair cut at a locally owned family barber, on the way there I stopped in a locally run, family owned newsagents and on the was out u stopped in a locally run family owned butcher (incidentally for four amazing steak pies and some homemade sausages).

They haven't gone away and an American company sponsoring a stadium for millions of pounds won't change that.

All the teams we hope to compete with will eventually do this, so that money won't be of any real value to us for long, as it will be a payment we rely on to just stay in touch. The only way we could benefit from it, is if we do it first to get additional revenue in.

I would do it, because the only way we'll ever win the league again in my lifetime, is with investment.

All the teams we hope to compete with will eventually do this, so that money won't be of any real value to us for long, as it will be a payment we rely on to just stay in touch. The only way we could benefit from it, is if we do it first to get additional revenue in.

I would do it, because the only way we'll ever win the league again in my lifetime, is with investment.

Or aliens abducting the whole of Manchester and London.