You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Would you accept a Stadium name change for £50 million+ a season?

Megadrive Man

Big money Stadium name change  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Would you accept a stadium name change for £50 million + a season?

All the teams we hope to compete with will eventually do this, so that money won't be of any real value to us for long, as it will be a payment we rely on to just stay in touch. The only way we could benefit from it, is if we do it first to get additional revenue in.

I would do it, because the only way we'll ever win the league again in my lifetime, is with investment.

Would it be contrite to suggest that if we act like every other club then we just become just another club?

• Upvote 1

Yep, I'd take the money. Nobody but broadcasters would mention the new name anyway.

Me too and even broadcasters still refer to Newcastles stadium as St James Park irrespective of whatever Ashley calls it. There are some stadiums in the country that are just too well established for a new name to ever take hold.

If we're going for a new name I'm going to suggest the 'Dunkin Doughnuts Arena'.

So what do we do with the 'This is Anfield' sign, chuck it int bin, or maybe we could come to some sort of compromise with the sponsors and just cross out 'Anfield' then scrawl in lipstick over it 'The twyfords toilet bowl' or whatever, it will still be anfield in our hedz so whats the issue?

They cant get in there, can they?

We already have thought crime and conspiracy charges without actually committing an act, it is in the preparation of the preparation in the thought of the act or planning the thought of planning the act, like a hall of infinite mirrors their reach is, tapping our hedz with the corporate spoons, how do you eat yours? Cos they normally tap the scull lever off the top of the cranial cavity and spoon out the gooey fluids and who are you to object, they arent really eating your brains of course, they will be delighted to address your objections in writing and then they will reply outlining how it isnt actually you they attacked as its been 4 months since and in that time every single cell in your body will have expired and been replaced so its not really you that needs redress, its the former you, or the shedded dead cells, maybe they would like to claim damages. If only your body hadnt been that arkward process called apoptosis that when the cell is ready to die it starts packaging itsself into little bits called "blebs" the blebs are then "swallowed" by immune cells called phagocytes that break down the blebs into parts and reuse them. Ya wudv gotten away with it too if it hadnt been for them blebs. Tap, tap.

• Upvote 3

Would it be contrite to suggest that if we act like every other club then we just become just another club?

We are like any other club to everyone on the planet apart from us. Until players are turning down transfers to city and Chelsea because they only want to play for Liverpool, then looking down our nose at others whilst they pick up the trophies every season is the opposite of the modest club we used to pride ourselves on being.

Liverpool exist to win trophies, not to project a superiority complex. 

• Upvote 2

This is why companies prefer naming rights for new stadia rather than existing or redeveloped stadia. A new build provides a blank canvas for everybody and any company paying for naming rights will get better value for their investment, particularly as the company name will always be mentioned when referring to the stadium.

As stated by others above, there are loads of examples where people just refer to a stadium by its old or common name regardless of naming rights. Leicester's stadium is still commonly referred to as the Walkers despite the naming rights switching from Walkers Crisps to King Power (the owners' company in Thailand). Middlesbrough's ground is always called the Riverside despite having naming rights in the past from BT Cellnet. Southampton's ground is still called St Mary's despite once having a naming rights deal with Friends Provident. I bet Derby fans still call their stadium Pride Park despite the official name changing to iPro Stadium recently. When the likes of Bolton and Stoke's stadium names eventually change, I bet people will still refer to them as the Reebok or the Britannia.

So what do we do with the 'This is Anfield' sign, chuck it int bin, or maybe we could come to some sort of compromise with the sponsors and just cross out 'Anfield' then scrawl in lipstick over it 'The twyfords toilet bowl' or whatever, it will still be anfield in our hedz so whats the issue?

They cant get in there, can they?

We already have thought crime and conspiracy charges without actually committing an act, it is in the preparation of the preparation in the thought of the act or planning the thought of planning the act, like a hall of infinite mirrors their reach is, tapping our hedz with the corporate spoons, how do you eat yours? Cos they normally tap the scull lever off the top of the cranial cavity and spoon out the gooey fluids and who are you to object, they arent really eating your brains of course, they will be delighted to address your objections in writing and then they will reply outlining how it isnt actually you they attacked as its been 4 months since and in that time every single cell in your body will have expired and been replaced so its not really you that needs redress, its the former you, or the shedded dead cells, maybe they would like to claim damages. If only your body hadnt been that arkward process called apoptosis that when the cell is ready to die it starts packaging itsself into little bits called "blebs" the blebs are then "swallowed" by immune cells called phagocytes that break down the blebs into parts and reuse them. Ya wudv gotten away with it too if it hadnt been for them blebs. Tap, tap.

Woah that was straight out of the Daily Mail/Fox.

We are like any other club to everyone on the planet apart from us. Until players are turning down transfers to city and Chelsea because they only want to play for Liverpool, then looking down our nose at others whilst they pick up the trophies every season is the opposite of the modest club we used to pride ourselves on being.

Liverpool exist to win trophies, not to project a superiority complex. 

Exactly, which is why am wondrin you wish us to flex our transfer penis envy on other clubs?

We dont have to be corporate whores, thats in fashion now but class is permanent theres a reason old fashioned values are called old fashioned values.

I dont see Barca whoring themselves out to rename the nou camp so they can afford a £50m player, they dont need to they grow it from within. It works better.

• Upvote 1

Exactly, which is why am wondrin you wish us to flex our transfer penis envy on other clubs?

I'm not sure how that is a response to my post. I just want us to have more money to get the players we want. We blatantly don't have that at the moment, so I have no idea what the solution is, other than generating more revenue.

"Mes que un club" only works when you're the best football team in world football, otherwise it's just clutching at straws.

I'm not sure how that is a response to my post. I just want us to have more money to get the players we want. We blatantly don't have that at the moment, so I have no idea what the solution is, other than generating more revenue.

"Mes que un club" only works when you're the best football team in world football, otherwise it's just clutching at straws.

Or Arsenal, or Dortmund, or the rest.

Heres the nub, and many a corporate whore has forgotten, you dont have to spend like City and Chelsea to get to the top, we have never done that and we couldnt compete that way anyway, these types wipe their arse on £50m. Barca didnt beat Real by playing their megawads game (And no, they werent the biggest club at that time when they began to challenge Real, Real emphatically were the biggest club in world football, and in financial terms etc they still on but no nuetral would put real ahead of barca as a force right now, even Mourinho and bags of cash couldnt really compete with Barca as an on pitch force.

Ask why, when did Barca start splashing the cash, or the team at the top of our league? Didnt they build largely from within? Is that a better model for us or shall we try and fight cash with cash by whoring everything we can out, rip off our fans and we still wouldnt be a drop in the ocean compared to City's resources.

Build from within and have a world class manager and you dont need to throw billions at the problem. The manager is ten times more important than the actual players at his disposal and its easier to predict the placings at the end of any given season by the qualities of the managers in charge of the clubs in the league, than any other factor (History, spending power, talent of players.in the squad, manager and also chairmen in  power trump all that.

• Upvote 1

As nice as that sentiment is Dennis, its a load of bullshit. You need money to compete at the top level domestically and in Europe. This is a fact and not one generated by corporate whores. Of course, we can all go off and watch out local side if we like, at the have not been touched by the hand of these corporate devils.

Or Arsenal, or Dortmund, or the rest.

Heres the nub, and many a corporate whore has forgotten, you dont have to spend like City and Chelsea to get to the top, we have never done that and we couldnt compete that way anyway, these types wipe their arse on £50m. Barca didnt beat Real by playing their megawads game (And no, they werent the biggest club at that time when they began to challenge Real, Real emphatically were the biggest club in world football, and in financial terms etc they still on but no nuetral would put real ahead of barca as a force right now, even Mourinho and bags of cash couldnt really compete with Barca as an on pitch force.

Ask why, when did Barca start splashing the cash, or the team at the top of our league? Didnt they build largely from within? Is that a better model for us or shall we try and fight cash with cash by whoring everything we can out, rip off our fans and we still wouldnt be a drop in the ocean compared to City's resources.

Build from within and have a world class manager and you dont need to throw billions at the problem. The manager is ten times more important than the actual players at his disposal and its easier to predict the placings at the end of any given season by the qualities of the managers in charge of the clubs in the league, than any other factor (History, spending power, talent of players.in the squad, manager and also chairmen in power trump all that.

Building from within us easier whrn you take 1billion of the tv money from 2006-2013.Nice when two clubs take half the yearly money between themselves, sort of makes it a two horse race and guarantees champions league football and additional money money.

As nice as that sentiment is Dennis, its a load of bullshit. You need money to compete at the top level domestically and in Europe. This is a fact and not one generated by corporate whores. Of course, we can all go off and watch out local side if we like, at the have not been touched by the hand of these corporate devils.

I didnt say you didnt need money, I said we dont need to whore ourselves out, easily confused people might struggle grasp that.

Barca, Dortmund, Arsenal have broken the law of the whore quite a lot of times since it all became about money.

Maybe in some peoples minds, if we can get enough of the dunkin donut type deals done we will win the league but thats not reality, even if the media push that.