You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

14 minutes ago, Boss said:

you're talking about a generational talent here. 

Undoubtedly a generational talent from a marketing side - which is why I don't understand why the club wouldn't make a deal.

Forget about football player, he is probably the most recognizable African on the planet.

Who doesn't love Mo?

• Upvote 1

I’m in the camp where I think we should pay him the big bucks as it’d be cheaper to keep him, however, if as what seems to be the case with agents getting a big percentage of the players wage from the club now instead of from the player then I can see why we’re stalling. 

We don’t want to be weighing him in for £30k+ a week on top of Mo’s wages. 

If he won’t sign, then we’ve got to weigh up whether it’d be better getting a massive fee this summer and rebuild the front line with the money. 

He’s been a great servant and he doesn’t owe us anything now nor us to him. Let’s hope it doesn’t get nasty as we’ve had more than enough of that shit. Both sides should take the money and run and part on good terms.

He’s great but there’ll be diminishing returns soon you’ve got to imagine. Especially at the end of the next contract. You can’t have a 34 year old whose game is based on pace getting 400 grand a week, most players are finished by then. We’ve had the most of his best years. He might well go somewhere else and be amazing for a year or two but that won’t last and whoever signs him will have paid a fortune in transfer fee and wages. 

6 minutes ago, M_B said:

He's leaving this summer isn't he.

Real shame.

I was pretty confident he'd stay but with his agent being the twat he is, I really dont think the agent is budging in negotiations.

Do you remember Alonso's last ever game at Anfield and at the end of the game he was thumping his heart while waving to the crowd, signalling Im off boys, forever in my jeart?

Mo did something similar in the game against Norwich or Leeds when he celebrated a goal at the Kop. I kind of got the same impression as I did with Alonso.

Just now, dockers_strike said:

£87m with add ons based on appearances so never got close to £100m.

Well €100m, and Salah is better than Hazard ever was. You’d want similar if not higher. I for one would keep him at all costs. He’s the best player in the league. A 4-year contract at whatever De Bruyne is at. He’ll still be very good for the next couple of seasons at least.

3 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Well €100m, and Salah is better than Hazard ever was. You’d want similar if not higher. I for one would keep him at all costs. He’s the best player in the league. A 4-year contract at whatever De Bruyne is at. He’ll still be very good for the next couple of seasons at least.

Yep but football finances are in a different place now to when Real bought Hazard.

18 minutes ago, M_B said:

Depends on the number of suitors with deep pockets.

PSG will be interested. Madrid will be too. And City.

Madrid won't be able to afford both Salah and Mbappe. Not with their finances still hurting from covid.

PSG will be in for him. They'll need a big name to replace Mbappe.

City is the unthinkable option. I can't think of a Liverpool player who has done anything as cunty as that.

2 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

You could see this coming a mile off. Cant think why anyone would have had confidence in FSG to do the correct thing. 

I don't know. As much as I think he values player welfare, I can't imagine Klopp is a big fan of them acting the Billy big bollocks either.

4 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Madrid won't be able to afford both Salah and Mbappe. Not with their finances still hurting from covid.

PSG will be in for him. They'll need a big name to replace Mbappe.

City is the unthinkable option. I can't think of a Liverpool player who has done anything as cunty as that.

Bales wages are off the books this summer and they’ll be looking to get Hazard out too. Both of them are on 600 pwk so the wages can be met

Daily Wail running an exclusive city have a deal 'in place' for Haaland which if true, could mean Real in for Mo if Mbappe stays at PSG. Blah, blah, blah!

Mo's agent stired up shit when he was at Fiorentina. Id think Mo was his stellar client but dont know who else is on his books.

9 hours ago, No2 said:

Has anyone changed their thoughts on Mo's situation? There was an awful lot of "pay him what he wants" and "I'll never forgive FSG" if they let him go. With the signing of Diaz and the return of Elliott there was universal agreement we had the best squad we have ever had. The people that built that squad are the same ones making a call on Mo, I'm happy to put faith in them.

Something about laughing at Klopp through emojis really grinds at my gears. Its getting like the Sterling situation from 2015 when the agent is being such a prick you would like to tell the player to get rid of him or get fucked.

This 100%. That fucking parasite can fuck right off. Perfect symbol of everything that’s wrong with football these days. 

59 minutes ago, Geoff Woade said:

He’s great but there’ll be diminishing returns soon you’ve got to imagine. Especially at the end of the next contract. You can’t have a 34 year old whose game is based on pace getting 400 grand a week, most players are finished by then. We’ve had the most of his best years. He might well go somewhere else and be amazing for a year or two but that won’t last and whoever signs him will have paid a fortune in transfer fee and wages. 

He's 29. Benzema just laid waste to PSG in the Champions League, and he's 34. Lewandowski is 33 and is averaging more than a goal a game. He's the most professional player we've ever had at the club. He's never injured. He comes back after playing an insane schedule in the AFCON, and gets declared to play. The man is a machine and only getting better.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Red74 said:

I’m in the camp where I think we should pay him the big bucks as it’d be cheaper to keep him,

I'd guess that part of the reluctance to give him the top top wage is it'd end up costing us far more to keep him rather than it being cheaper.

You're not just talking about Salah's wage, you're looking at every contract for every player going forward using Salah's wage as the yardstick for negotiations.