You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Welcome back Luis Suarez

WhiskeyJar

Just my opinion. But I think it's ridiculous to say Suarez is better then Ronaldo. He's just not. Suarez is not them best player in the world right now, and for him to be better then Ronaldo then he'd have to be.

He's brilliant, but he's in that 2nd tier with Aguero and the likes.

• Upvote 3

Just my opinion. But I think it's ridiculous to say Suarez is better then Ronaldo. He's just not. Suarez is not them best player in the world right now, and for him to be better then Ronaldo then he'd have to be.

He's brilliant, but he's in that 2nd tier with Aguero and the likes.

Of course he's not better.  Anyone who isn't a Liverpool fan or Uruguayan would piss themselves at the idea.

He's not even clearly ahead of that other tier.  And I dare say if we had Aguero, we'd have our fans saying he's the 2nd/3rd best in the world.

Just out of curiosity, I'd be interested to hear when other people think was the last time we had a player who you could say was among the top 5 players of the world.

I know Torres was among the leaders for the Ballon d'Or voting in 2008.  Before that it was probably Gerrard in around 2005 or so, I would guess.  Maybe Owen in 2001?  

Who would it have been before then?  I don't think Barnes was ever acclaimed that highly so would it go all the way back to Kenny?  Early 80's I would think he would have been in that group right behind Platini as far as world perception of top players would go.

Just out of curiosity, I'd be interested to hear when other people think was the last time we had a player who you could say was among the top 5 players of the world.

I know Torres was among the leaders for the Ballon d'Or voting in 2008.  Before that it was probably Gerrard in around 2005 or so, I would guess.  Maybe Owen in 2001?  

Who would it have been before then?  I don't think Barnes was ever acclaimed that highly so would it go all the way back to Kenny?  Early 80's I would think he would have been in that group right behind Platini as far as world perception of top players would go.

Oh hi curiosity, have you ever heard of Luis?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

For me, personally, I'd say he's the best striker in the world and on current form he's at least on par with any player in world football. He has ridiculous amounts of talent, and he's performing.

Ronaldo is a more effective footballer. If football is purely maths for you, if that's the only way you determine "better", then fine. It just isn't for me. Perhaps you prefer to watch speed and strength in football, and Ronaldo is a complete athlete. He also strikes the ball brilliantly with both feet. In these respects he's comfortably the best, maybe ever. But he lacks the vision, creativity, and touches of pure genius that Suarez is capable of, and it's that side of the game I find "better".

It is, obviously, just an opinion. On a subject that cannot have a categorical "oh he's definitely the 17th best left back in France, and yeah he's the 9th best deep lying playmaker in Sierra Leone...etc"

It isn't "ridiculous" for anyone to think a certain player is better than another, and anyone who thinks that the context free world of football statistics is going to prove anything one way or another is sadly misguided.

And fucking boring.

• Upvote 2

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I agree with Jairzinho. That hasn't been happening as often as it once did, so it's nice to fully agree with him. By saying Suarez is a better footballer than Ronaldo, that's not saying Ronaldo is shite. Nobody would say Ronaldo is shite, it's about ordering the cream of the cream. The variety of goals scored by Suarez is ridiculous. His fighting spirit, his awareness, his skill. Everything is top notch. Plus, at the moment, he's scoring goals every few minutes. Almost literally. I wonder how many goals per minute or goals per game he has scored this season. 

Ronaldo is a more effective footballer. If football is purely maths for you, if that's the only way you determine "better", then fine. It just isn't for me. Perhaps you prefer to watch speed and strength in football, and Ronaldo is a complete athlete. He also strikes the ball brilliantly with both feet. In these respects he's comfortably the best, maybe ever. But he lacks the vision, creativity, and touches of pure genius that Suarez is capable of, and it's that side of the game I find "better".

Sacchi used to make the same distinction between great footballers (Messi) and great players (Ronaldo).

Ronaldo is a more effective footballer. If football is purely maths for you, if that's the only way you determine "better", then fine. It just isn't for me. Perhaps you prefer to watch speed and strength in football, and Ronaldo is a complete athlete. He also strikes the ball brilliantly with both feet. In these respects he's comfortably the best, maybe ever. But he lacks the vision, creativity, and touches of pure genius that Suarez is capable of, and it's that side of the game I find "better".

It is, obviously, just an opinion. On a subject that cannot have a categorical "oh he's definitely the 17th best left back in France, and yeah he's the 9th best deep lying playmaker in Sierra Leone...etc"

It isn't "ridiculous" for anyone to think a certain player is better than another, and anyone who thinks that the context free world of football statistics is going to prove anything one way or another is sadly misguided.

And fucking boring.

I think when talking of who's the best footballers out there then you have to look at cold hard facts of who can dictate a game and who contributes the most it making their team excellent. It's not "maths", it's just common sense when assessing who's the best. I think if we swapped Ronaldo for Suarez then we'd come close to winning the title this year. As it stands, I think we're going to struggle for top 4. All subjective of course, but that's the impact I think he'd have.

A persons personal preference might be for miss timed, late, dirty tackles, and so to them Shawcross is the best footballer in Europe. Or it's the vision and touches of brilliance that you talk of, and so 15 years ago LeTissier was the best football in the world. I'd strongly disagree.

Suarez is brilliant. No question. But when talking about who's the very best in the world, then everything has to be taken into account for that opinion to be serious, not just personal preferences for one part of a game.

If Suarez wasn't a Liverpool player then I don't think one single person on this forum, or in the ground would say he's the best in the world. Buts that's the way of support and what makes having a team you love all the more fun.

Luckily though, in the free world if opinions, we are allowed think an opinion is ridiculous. Not allowing that would be, well, fucking boring.

• Upvote 2

I think when talking of who's the best footballers out there then you have to look at cold hard facts of who can dictate a game and who contributes the most it making their team excellent. It's not "maths", it's just common sense when assessing who's the best. I think if we swapped Ronaldo for Suarez then we'd come close to winning the title this year. As it stands, I think we're going to struggle for top 4. All subjective of course, but that's the impact I think he'd have.

A persons personal preference might be for miss timed, late, dirty tackles, and so to them Shawcross is the best footballer in Europe. Or it's the vision and touches of brilliance that you talk of, and so 15 years ago LeTissier was the best football in the world. I'd strongly disagree.

Suarez is brilliant. No question. But when talking about who's the very best in the world, then everything has to be taken into account for that opinion to be serious, not just personal preferences for one part of a game.

If Suarez wasn't a Liverpool player then I don't think one single person on this forum, or in the ground would say he's the best in the world. Buts that's the way of support and what makes having a team you love all the more fun.

Luckily though, in the free world if opinions, we are allowed think an opinion is ridiculous. Not allowing that would be, well, fucking boring.

Ridiculous.