You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Simon Mignolet

He was very good today. Overall a better game than the Stoke game for him. All bodes well.

Don't need to make comparisons with his predecessor.Thats irrelevant.

Although Danny Agger should take note that not all goalkeepers are good enough footballers to control a hefty backpass!

When he made that save from Benteke, the first thing that came into my mind was that Reina wouldn't have saved it. Not the Reina of last year anyway.

Utter bollocks. Even if you'd said, "the Reina of 2 years ago" I'd have been tempted to argue, but last season Reina's form improved dramatically.

Anyway, since we're in the cherry-picking business, here's the Reina of last year, not making any saves.

[YOUTUBE]TdcQkOuMfmc[/YOUTUBE]

De Gea took a while to settle in, but ask just about anybody who watched United and they'll tell you how good he was after a bit of a shaky start. He's certainly not shit. That's just bollocks.

Anyway. Like I was saying, the distribution might be different, but so is this:

SIMON-SAVE-VS-VILLA.gif

n_B0r_Sj_L7_bc.gif

He's still not cemented his place, is someway off the level of Barthez, Van Der Saar or Schmeichel and so far had been closer to that italian flop they signed in goal around the time of Bosnich and Van Der Gaaw, cant recall his name.He was also third choice for his country when they signed him.

Thats why I call him shit, he has been to me, most their keepers have been legends or spectaularly shit and he's come down on that side thus far. ID RATHER NOT SPEAK TO PEOPLE WHO SUPPORT THE MANCS.

He's yet to reach Reina's level but might catch him on the way down, if he is on the way down Reina might get better as he ages.

I had to wash my brain out after thinking it, and will wash my typing fingers out next, but he reminds me of the first few games Schmeichel senior played.

Won't mind if he continues on that trajectory. (Was in Manchester then, so saw lots of highlights of theirs :)

I think thats fair when I think about it. His kicking I always thought was shite as well and never understood why he didnt get called on it, be it him or the defence he was playing behind or uniteds attacking, he came out on top so often it really didnt matter much apart from maybe in the cl where it got found out with teams who kept the ball when given to them.

So far he's done some good things and some bad things. The positives have definitely outweighed the negatives for me though.

Including pre-season, he's already made 6 really top saves that I can think of.

His distribution is nowhere near as good as Reina's and he doesn't seem to command his box very well but a goalkeepers main job is to stop goals and he's doing great on that score so far.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Christ, Pepe looks terrible for all 3 of those goals, he doesn't actually dive for any of them, just falls over with his arm held out.

Out of respect for the player - who served us very well for many years - I restricted it to only the goals against Villa. There are many others. I think they slip our minds, but the amount of things like that last season and the season before from Reina are pretty startling.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Kicked into touch every single time.

Fungus' mental process before posting this:

"God, I miss Reina"

"How can I slag off Mignolet?"

"How many goals has he conceded... None. Hmn"

"Right, but what about pre-season. One in seven games. Fuck"

"Ah, but how many points has he earned... 4 already. Oh"

"Reina probably would have saved them anyway... drat, look at those gifs"

"He kicked out of touch. Yeah, post about that".

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but a goalkeeper's primary purpose is to stop the ball hitting the back of the net. Hence the term goalkeeper. Anything else is a bonus and and what isn't there can be worked on.

Mignolet is by no means the finished article, but those who want to dwell on his sometimes errant distribution and forget what he does are negative, picky & frankly dumb. The old saying goes that a good keeper will earn you around 10 points a season. Mignolet has earned us 4 so far. In his first 2 games. Which were both clean sheets.

Reina had run his race here, I think he'd lost some of that hunger that defines top class from their lesser rivals. That absolute burning desire to not concede. That same desire that Mignolet clearly shows.

Whatever Mignolet can't do that Reina does, the baton has been passed.

The badly King has gone, long live the King.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but a goalkeeper's primary purpose is to stop the ball hitting the back of the net. Hence the term goalkeeper. Anything else is a bonus and and what isn't there can be worked on.

Mignolet is by no means the finished article, but those who want to dwell on his sometimes errant distribution and forget what he does are negative, picky & frankly dumb. The old saying goes that a good keeper will earn you around 10 points a season. Mignolet has earned us 4 so far. In his first 2 games. Which were both clean sheets.

Reina had run his race here, I think he'd lost some of that hunger that defines top class from their lesser rivals. That absolute burning desire to not concede. That same desire that Mignolet clearly shows.

Whatever Mignolet can't do that Reina does, the baton has been passed.

The badly King has gone, long live the King.

Correct

the question on everyones lips is would Patrice Luzi have made that save?

I've been giving this some thought as well.

I'm really hoping that every single time Mignolet makes a save someone mentions how Reina wouldn't have done so. Then, when Mignolet flaps at another cross someone can mention how Reina would have taken it down on his chest before playing a short song on an oboe.

It just makes for such an exciting discussion. Especially as there isn't even the slightest hint of agenda. I mean, there is absolutely no correlation between the people who think Rodgers' shit smells of a mixture of bacon and two stroke (it may well do for all I know) and those that keep mentioning how Reina probably caused the plague. Nor is there any between those who think Rodgers is an aids riddled terrorist and those who think Mignolet is a shitter Belgian than Denis Feron.

Mouthwatering.