You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Foodie thread

Champ

9 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Whores Pasta is the direct reference as it tastes and smells like, well, we’ll leave it there…

Bollocks. Strange ladies you've been tasting - unless you've overdone the amount of anchovies.

From Wikipedia

Because puttana means roughly 'whore' or 'prostitute' and puttanesca is an adjective derived from that word, the dish may have been invented in one of many bordellos in the Naples working-class neighbourhood of Quartieri Spagnoli as a quick meal taken between servicing clients.

3 hours ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

Bollocks. Strange ladies you've been tasting - unless you've overdone the amount of anchovies.

From Wikipedia

Because puttana means roughly 'whore' or 'prostitute' and puttanesca is an adjective derived from that word, the dish may have been invented in one of many bordellos in the Naples working-class neighbourhood of Quartieri Spagnoli as a quick meal taken between servicing clients.

The word ‘May’ is doing a lot of heavy lifting there, Big Man.

2 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

The word ‘May’ is doing a lot of heavy lifting there, Big Man.

My link gave 3 or 4 possible origins, all linked to the profession in some way, none quite so "on the nose" as your own.

6 minutes ago, Bob said:

My link gave 3 or 4 possible origins, all linked to the profession in some way, none quite so "on the nose" as your own.

Oh, yeah I took some artistic license.

Anyhow's, yeah whore's pasta has it origins in prostitution and whorehouses.

Staying at a nice hotel with work for a change, so getting good food for a change too.

Unfortunately the restaurant is called Scoff and Banter, which fucking ruins all of it, but still, food was nice.

I never eat steak at home now - pretty much avoid beef of all types at home - so a rib eye was a rare treat even if it took £28 of my £30 meal allowance on its own.

And who can resist French onion soup? Not me.

20240411_190925.jpg

20240411_192413.jpg

• Upvote 5

Hmmm fascinating. Finished reading Penn Jillette’s weightloss book “Presto” in which he details going from death’s door to a healthy lifestyle with a prognosis of ‘good long term health’.

His ‘reset’ started with 2 weeks of nothing -and I mean absolutely nothing- except potatoes. Not even any added salt..in fact definitely no added salt, because it raises blood pressure and Penn’s blood pressure was 240/120 when he rocked up to ED after collapsing in a show. No caffeine (little known fact-caffeine temporarily raises blood pressure, but if you have a caffeine ‘allergy’ blood pressure does not return to normal after having caffeine)

Anyway! My blood pressure has been edging up of late, so I thought, bugger it, I’ll try this. Lasted one week, and literally got so sick of spuds I had to introduce bananas (another starch) so 2nd week spuds & bananas. I’m watching my blood pressure TUMBLE from a very stubborn 160/90 to anything from 125/80 to 108/75. Brilliant. Weening myself off meds and slowly introducing more whole food plants. Not sure where I’ll end up, in terms of a lifestyle food plan, but I think I’ll be permanently decaf, no added salt (using a potassium salt instead) low fat no ultra processed food for life from here on in.

• Upvote 6

One of the easiest tastiest veggie scrans around this one. Halloumi cut in half, smeared with crunchy chilli oil/sauce wrapped in tinfoil. Bung it on a roasting tray surrounded by small spuds, sliced onion, mushrooms, toms, and courgette tossed in salt n pepper and a teaspoon of oil. Bake in oven for 30 minutes. 

IMG_5171.jpeg

• Upvote 8

12 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Not just any roast, a roast with two frozen burgers as the focal point. 

burgers? Are you sure?

Might be chicken cutlets or something. But looks breaded to me. Surely fish is a step too far in this situation even for CD...

1 minute ago, Pidge said:

burgers? Are you sure?

Might be chicken cutlets or something. But looks breaded to me. Surely fish is a step too far in this situation even for CD...

You’re right. I’ve read this thread long enough to know I should have zoomed in. Rookie mistake.