You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Foodie thread

Champ

40 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

A fairly trivial foody thing, but whilst I'm off sick from work I've tasked myself with streamlining our kitchen utensils and gadgets. Over the years, from multiple homes and house-shares, etc, we've accumulated far too many useless or cheap things and multiple tools to do the same task. 

For example, a modest purchase of a good microplane grater has replaced half a dozen poorer quality items in the drawer, some decent wooden spoons have replaced all the shitty plastic ones. 

A simple but immensely satisfying task that means I enjoy cooking more. Next, ditching the fondue kit, and other gadgets that we've been bought over the years. 

Can anyone recommend a good non-stick, non-toxic frying pan? I've been looking at the GreenPan ones but have never used them.

Oh and I made my first sourdough loaf yesterday since the little one arrived two years ago - I finally have a slither of time for this stuff. Or I need to get back to work.

IMG_20240112_101401.jpg

Looks like it’s just been dug up by this lot…

IMG_4860.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Photos of curries seldom look good but here goes. 

A lamb & pea keema, and an egg molee (pronounced moo lee) on the side. So much flavour it's rude. Served with plain steamed basmati, a couple of poppadoms and some kronenburg. 

20240112_201556.jpg

20240112_211236.jpg

• Upvote 4

Not home made unfortunately, though on the theme of curry - today had a buffet Indian at the Ravi Shankar restaurant, just off from Euston…. oh my word, lovely is an understatement.

£35 buffet for 2. Including 4 coffees. Worth a dabble if you have an hour or so before your train. 

IMG_0274.jpeg

IMG_0276.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Chip Butty said:

Not home made unfortunately, though on the theme of curry - today had a buffet Indian at the Ravi Shankar restaurant, just off from Euston…. oh my word, lovely is an understatement.

£35 buffet for 2. Including 4 coffees. Worth a dabble if you have an hour or so before your train. 

IMG_0274.jpeg

IMG_0276.jpeg

That's one hell of a load on the bottom picture. Have you been eating loads of grapefruit?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Karl_b said:

Can anyone recommend a good non-stick, non-toxic frying pan?

You might want to take a look at carbon steel. They don't have the non stick surface per se but release just as easily when seasoned and are oven safe for broiling.

Not sure what brand would be over there - mine are Merten Storck which I think are German. Solid stuff.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

You might want to take a look at carbon steel. They don't have the non stick surface per se but release just as easily when seasoned and are oven safe for broiling.

Not sure what brand would be over there - mine are Merten Storck which I think are German. Solid stuff.

We currently have some Salter carbon steel ones - large and small frying pans and a wok. They're pretty good, especially as we paid less than £50 for the set. They're holding up pretty well but I'm after a medium non-stick one just for the variety and for the odd thing, IE eggs, that are tricky to cook in the carbon steel. At some point I'll probably invest in some proper cast iron but hopefully these last a few more years

• Upvote 1

On 13/01/2024 at 19:49, Bjornebye said:

Looks like part of the Game of Thrones map 

On 13/01/2024 at 19:36, Karl_b said:

A fairly trivial foody thing, but whilst I'm off sick from work I've tasked myself with streamlining our kitchen utensils and gadgets. Over the years, from multiple homes and house-shares, etc, we've accumulated far too many useless or cheap things and multiple tools to do the same task. 

For example, a modest purchase of a good microplane grater has replaced half a dozen poorer quality items in the drawer, some decent wooden spoons have replaced all the shitty plastic ones. 

A simple but immensely satisfying task that means I enjoy cooking more. Next, ditching the fondue kit, and other gadgets that we've been bought over the years. 

Can anyone recommend a good non-stick, non-toxic frying pan? I've been looking at the GreenPan ones but have never used them.

Oh and I made my first sourdough loaf yesterday since the little one arrived two years ago - I finally have a slither of time for this stuff. Or I need to get back to work.

IMG_20240112_101401.jpg

Looks like he used my oven for half of it. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Back doing keto as it works best with my blood sugars so trying to find some spice blends to keep things different

I love the jerk spice mix below but its gone from £2 to £3.50 a jar now and i think they've changed the mix as the salt contents seems far higher

1500x1500.jpg

I know i can make my own but for speed on work days i like to just by some. 

Anyone got any go to spice mixes, i normally add some hot sauce and cream if needed. Looking for dry mixes rather than sauce. For all meats and fish