You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

Having £20m to spend and no CL football means that you're very, very likely to buy players who aren't good enough for the CL but also overpay for them.

Credit to Rodgers that he hasn't done that yet.

Even the seemingly very good players at lesser teams like Ben Arfa, Cisse, Cabaye, Michu, Sessegnon, Ruiz, etc all come with drawbacks, but that's why they ended up at mid table teams and not CL teams.

There's only two players I think we have a genuine chance of buying, who could be world class, and that's Benteke and Eriksen.

The other option is to target under 20 players and wait, and that's something we've been doing. As hard as it is, we've got to wait another season for a realistic shot at the CL. I'm not saying we can't do it next season, but I won't be disheartened if we just fall short again. Our future is very bright, and 2014/15 will be the key season for us. Ibe, Sterling and Wisdom are through the door now, but Sinclair, Yesil, Smith, are around the corner, but really it's Allen, Coutinho, Sturridge, Borini, and Alberto who will come on leaps and bounds as they get that bit more maturity and experience.

It is what it is, we are where we are, you can't rush this. £20m is much more likely to get us a Downing rather than a Suarez. If you've noticed, money isn't moving around too freely in this division. So if you float around with £20m looking for a player then you'll be offered a lot of shite and sooner or later you'll get nervous and take one of them because its mid August. No, we've got money and when a player is available we go in hard and fast, that's what we are doing.

Excellent post

Point one - We are not in the champions league so don't have the revenue or pull.

Point two - We don't have rich owners (I also don't know why a trillionaire prefers the likes of Fulham, but they do)

Point three - As much as it pains me to say it, we don't have the attraction for players we had back in my day.

Signing players who don't want to come to a club not playing in Europe is tough. I don't want a Ridsale paying stupid fees and salaries and bankrupting the club like he did at Leeds.

I'm off to that positive thread thingy now for a massage and to listen to whale songs.

All this shit started way before Rodgers and way before FSG. I don't love them, I don't hate them.

And this one

Can't be arsed to compile a list of players I'd like us to sign, apologies.

But look at some of the players that have already joined other clubs in the Premier League that finished outside the top six last season -

Deulofeu

van Wolfswinkel

Fer

Amorebieta

Lovren

Giaccherini

Bony

Absolute nonsense to suggest we simply can't get quality players in when fucking Norwich can.

Good post.

Ben Smith tweeting that Suarez won't push for a move and won't hand in a transfer request as he knows it'll make no difference to our stance. Another bit of raw material for the rumour mill.

Ben Smith - 'So Suarez, are you going to hand in a transfer request?'

Suarez - 'No, as I know it wont make a difference to Liverpool's stance'

Jeez. Exactly does Smith get his informtion?

Can't be arsed to compile a list of players I'd like us to sign, apologies.

But look at some of the players that have already joined other clubs in the Premier League that finished outside the top six last season -

Deulofeu

van Wolfswinkel

Fer

Amorebieta

Lovren

Giaccherini

Bony

Absolute nonsense to suggest we simply can't get quality players in when fucking Norwich can.

Deulofeu is a kid who only went on loan, if we got him he wouldnt be considered a first team player and people would still be moaning.

Van wolfswinkel is a name i have heard for years and no top clubs have come in for him. So im not sure how good he really is.

The rest are names that smaller clubs can take a punt on, those players will probably improve them but im not sure how much they would improve us.

Deulofeu is a kid who only went on loan, if we got him he wouldnt be considered a first team player and people would still be moaning.

Van wolfswinkel is a name i have heard for years and no top clubs have come in for him. So im not sure how good he really is.

The rest are names that smaller clubs can take a punt on, those players will probably improve them but im not sure how much they would improve us.

No.

The thing is, Levy knows that unless Bale drops dramatically in form they'll be back next year anyway.

He knocked back big money for Modric, kept him for a year, then sold for practically the same price. To him, all this shows is that Madrid will be back as you don't offer that kind of sum for someone you'll go off in a year.

LIARS!

GRRRRR.

YOU TOLD US WE'D GET MONEY AND STUFF.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN 'WHO AM I'? I'M NIGHTCAT, I TAKE A PASSING INTEREST IN LIVERPOOL ON THE INTERNET. WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU MORE LIKE, LIAR HENRY?

Anyway.

See Soldado going to Spurs for £28m.

Mmmmm, tasty.