You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Rodgers becoming a laughing stock?

Megadrive Man

Ultimately, expecting progress in such a short period of time, is asking too much when a club like ours is the one spiraling out of control.

This was my whole argument against the sacking of Dalglish after his first full season in charge. Now that we can look back at the season somewhat under Rodgers, it's easy to see that we were not failing under Kenny at all, and that progress, albeit slow, was actually there. This is the kicker - As the BBC reported this week, the players brought in at the start of last season are coming good (Carroll the exception, but then, he was hardly given a chance- although, I'd argue, considering the failure of Borini / Assaidi who would argue against Carroll if he'd have started most games with Suarez?)

Unfortunately, because of the lack of continuity in management over the last few years, FSG want to, nay, have to give Rodgers the benefit of the doubt, when in reality, for me, the benefit of the doubt should always have been given to the Dalglish / Clarke management.

I'll be fucked off about this for quite awhile yet, because frankly, success is even less likely under the current management. At the end of the day though, he'll probably get next season, and in view of the fact that Rafa is now at Chelsea and Dalglish is back on the golf course, options are few and far between.

When you look at how all of us are banging on about prioritising league placing v cups etc, were UEFA to allow a single CL qualification spot to the winner of the Europa League (as I think they should, just following the trend of domestic cups allowing teams into the EL in the first place, as well as give the EL a massive credibility boost), it would change the dynamic of this argument so bloody much it isn't even funny. Could very well have had an impact on Kenny's unfortunate dismissal too.

The winners of the Europa League automatically qualify for the next seasons EL group stage unless they also qualify for the Champions League. Bit pants really.

Unfortunately, because of the lack of continuity in management over the last few years, FSG want to, nay, have to give Rodgers the benefit of the doubt

I wouldn't count your chickens. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they were to sack Rodgers should we not improve on last season.

Filthy rumour going round in France that we have been courting Ancelotti.

Ok, the only site reporting this French rumour is Liverpool Kop but thought it needed airing.

No way FSG would sack him in the summer, maybe before the January transfer window if no improvement is seen but not in the summer.

Their silence these last few months is a bit strange.

Are they looking on flogging the Red Sox?

Filthy rumour going round in France that we have been courting Ancelotti.

Ok, the only site reporting this French rumour is Liverpool Kop but thought it needed airing.

No way FSG would sack him in the summer, maybe before the January transfer window if no improvement is seen but not in the summer.

Their silence these last few months is a bit strange.

Are they looking on flogging the Red Sox?

I would be worried if we were not looking at our options.

Fail to qualify for Europe next season and he should be sacked.

Unfortunately, because of the lack of continuity in management over the last few years, FSG want to, nay, have to give Rodgers the benefit of the doubt, when in reality, for me, the benefit of the doubt should always have been given to the Dalglish / Clarke management.

I wouldn't count your chickens. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they were to sack Rodgers should we not improve on last season.

With absolutely all due respect to Rodgers, this is the FSG-created rock and hard place I can see.

While Kop Out's scenario is what's needed to be seen to be done (and I agree, should have been last season)... so might Zig's, simply because of FSG's fairly ruthlessly worded "results" rationale for last year's sacking.

To avoid a mess, I hope last week's result was the last of the hiccups. But I'm so not sure about that being the case.

Fuck.

Absolutely. He would have been regarded as a calculated risk, was he second choice too after Martinez? And was supposed to work under an experienced head but they backed down on that plan. All of those things point to very much a 'up for review' situation.

Out of the cups, out of the CL running, no longer considered one of the big guns of English football. It doesn't bode well.

How long would you give Ancelotti before you wrote him off, Dave? The full 6 months that you have given Rodgers? More? Less?

Ancelotti has proved he knows what it takes to win both as a player and a manager and that buys him time compared to someone who has never won anything his entire career.

You back winners and sack losers.

How long would you give Ancelotti before you wrote him off, Dave? The full 6 months that you have given Rodgers? More? Less?

I could be wrong but people may have more faith in a double European cup winner and someone who has won league titles and had cup success and has a record of success not just abstract ideas.

I could be wrong but people may have more faith in a double European cup winner and someone who has won league titles and had cup success and has a record of success not just abstract ideas.

Dunno. The antipathy towards Rodgers from a lot of our fans after only a short time has surprised me.

Ultimately, expecting progress in such a short period of time, is asking too much when a club like ours is the one spiraling out of control.

This was my whole argument against the sacking of Dalglish after his first full season in charge. Now that we can look back at the season somewhat under Rodgers, it's easy to see that we were not failing under Kenny at all, and that progress, albeit slow, was actually there. This is the kicker - As the BBC reported this week, the players brought in at the start of last season are coming good (Carroll the exception, but then, he was hardly given a chance- although, I'd argue, considering the failure of Borini / Assaidi who would argue against Carroll if he'd have started most games with Suarez?)

I'll be fucked off about this for quite awhile yet, because frankly, success is even less likely under the current management. At the end of the day though, he'll probably get next season, and in view of the fact that Rafa is now at Chelsea and Dalglish is back on the golf course, options are few and far between.

A vey well argued post.

I could see the case for sacking KK, I could also see little advantage in doing so.

The problem for KK was that a £35m mistake is hard to hide.

Until we have a quality CEO and some sound football experience appointed to the Board it is dificult to envisage how any substantial improvement will be made apart from by luck.

Theres a fucking herd of elephants in the room. FSG dont have enough money!

Of course all these top guys will talk to us, we're Liverpool they would be mad not to, but as soon as Mourinho et all are told they cant have a massive transfer kitty, off they fuck.

I think they will be looking at options becuase thats what sensible owners need to do. Prepare for all eventualities.

I think I'm pretty safe in assuming that the owners would have expected better than what is happening so far. Now I'm not calling for him to be sacked yet, and I don't think that anyone is, however things must improve.

My expectation was top 6, a cup run to at least the QF's in one competition (or at least getting knocked out early by someone worthy). He still has the remainder of the season to do that of course, and he should be given that. But if we lose to Zenit over two legs and the league form continues like it has then his position must be looked at in the Summer.

And if the decision is that he is to be replaced is what comes, then I would understand why, even though I don't like us sacking managers. But as I said earlier, there is no point persisting with a manager who isn't cutting it, just to keep up the ideal that LFC is not a sacking club. That in a lot of ways is worse than the Abramovic method of firing someone after 3 months.

If Rodgers gets the team above 60 points and top 6 then he will stay (in fact stay where we are an he will stay), if he adds in a good run in the Europa League he will definately stay. You don't appoint a young manager and then sack him after one year - FSG won't do it and it is just wishful thinking for those who think they will.

There is more than enough evidence on the field to point to progress - however some prefer to focus on the negatives - and will continue to do so.

FSG will look at our league position and the financial cost of achieving it. They will then compare that to the other teams\managers in the league. They will not bring in a big name manager with a promise of limitless funds and they no doubt think the club needs a period of stability.