You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

AC/DC

Bjornebye

I was reading about the night Bon Scott died this morning, loads of crackpot conspiracy theories around it but it seems he just drank too much one night & didn't wake up. Apparently this is the last photo of him with the UFO bassist, Pete Way in February 1980, he died on the 19th of that month.

UFO035.jpg

And a recent-ish interview with Alistair Kinnear, who was the last person to see him alive (& whose car he died in).

http://www.bonscott.com.au/kinnear.htm

I know people go on about 2016 being a bad year but what about 1980, Bon Scott, John Bonham, John Lennon & I think Steve McQueen died that year too, most of them in the prime of their life.

I was reading about another Bon Scott bender, this time a night out on the lash with that other well known rock n roll hellraiser Cliff fucking Richards !

Anyway, Bon and Cliff were out and about round London on the lash and Bon is out of his face, out of drugs and totally skint when Richards tells him that he knows where he can lay his hands on a mountain of ching at daft o'clock in the morning, and they jump a cab to Richards' second home...the now notorious Elm Tree Guesthouse, where Richards was a platinum member.

So the story goes that Richards did indeed sort Bon Scott out with bottles of spirits and a bag full of charlie and the story ends.

Or does it, because several weeks later a demo tape from Australia lands on Cliff's doorstep with a cryptic postcard attached of the Sydney Opera House with the message "This rounds on me my old china", and on that demo tape was a gift, the demo was Devil Woman, from Bon to Cliff and the rest is history.

• Upvote 1

I was reading about another Bon Scott bender, this time a night out on the lash with that other well known rock n roll hellraiser Cliff fucking Richards !

Anyway, Bon and Cliff were out and about round London on the lash and Bon is out of his face, out of drugs and totally skint when Richards tells him that he knows where he can lay his hands on a mountain of ching at daft o'clock in the morning, and they jump a cab to Richards' second home...the now notorious Elm Tree Guesthouse, where Richards was a platinum member.

So the story goes that Richards did indeed sort Bon Scott out with bottles of spirits and a bag full of charlie and the story ends.

Or does it, because several weeks later a demo tape from Australia lands on Cliff's doorstep with a cryptic postcard attached of the Sydney Opera House with the message "This rounds on me my old china", and on that demo tape was a gift, the demo was Devil Woman, from Bon to Cliff and the rest is history.

I don't know if you've been bumping old threads or this is just spooky, CD:

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/index.php?/topic/110364-classic-songs-you-would-have-liked-to-hear-performed-by-others/?p=4671166

I'm convinced that Devil Woman is an AC/DC song that somehow came by Cliff Richard through misadventure.  Probably Bon Scott and Cliff were having a heavy session, and Bon exchanged the master tape for another line of Cliff's ching.

The rhythm guitar is classic Malcolm Young, there's Angus riffs throughout, Phil Rudd's chugging drumline.

It's just missing Bon's wail and Mutt Lange's production.

I know it's 40 years too late, boys, but make it so!

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

Happy that I was able to see them with Bon on his last tour ( Liverpool Empire 1979)......Back In Black had its moments but they lost me after that, I wouldnt bother with them now given Malcolm has checked out ( Angus always said it was "his brothers band"). A great frontman for a band that knew how to push the buttons, they were great.

• Upvote 3

The day I went to see them at Wembley on the Black Ice tour remains one of the best days of my life.

Talk of a new album & tour with Brian Johnson back again this year. 

The Bon Scott stuff is obviously more consistently good but even after Back In Black, there are quite a few great songs (if not albums). 

Anyways, quite simply one of the best songs ever recorded...

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

The day I went to see them at Wembley on the Black Ice tour remains one of the best days of my life.

Talk of a new album & tour with Brian Johnson back again this year. 

The Bon Scott stuff is obviously more consistently good but even after Back In Black, there are quite a few great songs (if not albums). 

Anyways, quite simply one of the best songs ever recorded...

I saw them in Birmingham on that tour. Just superb. 

• 7 months later...

PWR/UP will be released on November 13, with the album‘s first single, Shot In The Dark, being released at 05.00 UK time on Wednesday, October 7. The band released a second teaser video for the single yesterday (October 5).

https://www.loudersound.com/news/acdcs-pwrup-album-gets-november-release-date-brian-johnson-hails-bands-electricity

28 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

PWR/UP will be released on November 13, with the album‘s first single, Shot In The Dark, being released at 05.00 UK time on Wednesday, October 7. The band released a second teaser video for the single yesterday (October 5).

https://www.loudersound.com/news/acdcs-pwrup-album-gets-november-release-date-brian-johnson-hails-bands-electricity

Boss!