You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Early thoughts on Rodgers

fowler9

Can you imagine how many games Rafa'd get before people were on his back? One? Two?

I suppose the crucial difference is that Benitez arrived as perhaps the most highly-sought after young manager in the world, having just won two La Liga titles and the UEFA cup for Valencia, and Rodgers arrived as Swansea manager.

If you're talking about Benitez returning as manager, well, that's another story given that some of our more er...."challenged" fanbase expressed a preference for Roy cunting Hodgson over Benitez.

I suppose the crucial difference is that Benitez arrived as perhaps the most highly-sought after young manager in the world, having just won two La Liga titles and the UEFA cup for Valencia, and Rodgers arrived as Swansea manager.

If you're talking about Benitez returning as manager, well, that's another story given that some of our more er...."challenged" fanbase expressed a preference for Roy cunting Hodgson over Benitez.

Exactly and in addition Benitez had the pulling power to get the likes of Alonso/ Garcia and subsequently Torres on board. Rodgers couldn't even get some Icelandic bloke from Swansea or get the money to buy Dempsey.

Exactly and in addition Benitez had the pulling power to get the likes of Alonso/ Garcia and subsequently Torres on board. Rodgers couldn't even get some Icelandic bloke from Swansea or get the money to buy Dempsey.

1. He didn`t want to pay more than the icelandic blokes worth.

2. Did you expect him to pay out of his own pocket?

3. Fuck off.

Mmmm...... you have a point there.

Code's still a prick for his dismissive attitude towards BR though.

Nothing would give me more satisfaction than BR doing well. The thread, however, is early thoughts. Old ground for me, but KK never should've been sacked after two cup finals, one of which we won.

But not wanting Kenny sacked isn't prejudicing my early thoughts about Rodgers (i.e. I'm concerned he isn't that good on many levels). I'm just taking a viewpoint on him s'far.

I think Tom R mentioned he can't see some huge evolution in how we play from last season. And other teams are not just going to sit back and go "let's let Liverpool finally get it all together as pretty soon they'll be playing us off the park Tika Taka style". The good sides will keep buying better players and will no doubt outwit BR tactically.

Yet he could get a Bundesliga winning captain on loan from Real Madrid.

Swings and roundabouts.

Even after they'd seen how we performed under Hodgson, some insisted that his appointment was still a positive as the club was easier to sell with him in charge.

Boundless enthusiasm, brave decision making i.e. giving young players their chance, attractive style of play, freezing out the shite from the worst transfer spree in our history. There's 4.

Boundless enthusiasm - sorry what has this got to do with taking the team forward, thats the reason you change manager is it not?

Brave decision making i.e. giving young players their chance - Have we got better results because of this or is it okay just to play youngsters without actually achieving anything, would youngsetrs have gotten a chance under another manager if they were good enough and are they good enough?

Attractive style of play - the most attractive thing is to win, we played far better football last season than we do this season.

Freezing out the shite from the worst transfer spree in our history - are they really that shite, could our results have been better this season if we had played and kept some of these shite players instead of freezing them out, sell them and loan them out. Based on what we achieved with these players last season I'm not sure they are as bad as the majority want you to believe.

So would I if I was on a Liverpool manager's wage. Although I could probably live off the compo if I reused my teabags and left things on stand-by less.

Read somewhere Rodgers is on a much low wage than Kenny? Anyone know what is Rodger wage?

Maybe part of the reason why Rodger has tried is uttermost to shift near every player who's on a better wage than him!

Lets turn this around.

What good exactly have Rodgers done in his 5 months here?

I cant see anything positive at all, unless of course you think playing youngsters without actually getting results is some kind of achievement.

Actually, I DO think that stimulating our youth set-up has been a great achievement to date.

It's hard to task him with doing 'good' things when players like Downing have even got worse since last year, as has Reina, and Enrique, and Skrtel.

However, maybe it's his fault? Who knows/cares. Let's get Scolari in, or O Neill, or Ron Atkinson, or Mourinho. I bet the outcome is largely the same for all of them with the same set of players over the course of a 38 game season.

Boundless enthusiasm - sorry what has this got to do with taking the team forward' date=' thats the reason you change manager is it not?

Brave decision making i.e. giving young players their chance - Have we got better results because of this or is it okay just to play youngsters without actually achieving anything, would youngsetrs have gotten a chance under another manager if they were good enough and are they good enough?

Attractive style of play - the most attractive thing is to win, we played far better football last season than we do this season.

Freezing out the shite from the worst transfer spree in our history - are they really that shite, could our results have been better this season if we had played and kept some of these shite players instead of freezing them out, sell them and loan them out. Based on what we achieved with these players last season I'm not sure they are as bad as the majority want you to believe.[/quote']

Hi there Code!

Do you fancy answering my question now?

If you were appointed manager of Liverpool Football Club, would you want more than five months to implement your ideas?

Hi there Code!

Do you fancy answering my question now?

If you were appointed manager of Liverpool Football Club, would you want more than five months to implement your ideas?

Code doesn't deal in gotcha questions, don't you know.

Seriously, what kind of response do you expect from someone who thinks, Kennys biggest mistake last season was to let Meireles go?

His partnership with Evans sort of taxied Evans' win(I jest)..... but if we're being really honest about it, he only really became the full manager the arse end of that season.

Can you see us doing anything this season?

Houllier came in with Evans in 98/99. He took over in November of that season. His first full season was 99/00 which he didnt win anything either.

00/01 was the treble season and that was his second full season in charge.

Not really sure what you mean by that. In regards to Rodgers i mean.

It's not really fair to compare Benitez coming in, with Rodgers. Obviously you are right that Benitez came with a bigger reputation and a proven record, thus his pulling power in terms of getting players was bigger, and especially talent from Spain. However Rafa also had the benefit to offer CL football, he got to spend something like £25m net, while Rodgers could not offer CL football, and he got to spend something like £8m net whilst also being forced to cut the wage bill.

He obviously could have signed both Sigurdsson and Dempsey, if he had made different priorities in the transfer market, but i think almost everyone would agree both CM and a forward/wide attacker should be prioritised, which it was with Allen and Borini, where the vast majority of our funds went towards. Now the jury is still out on both though.