You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Early thoughts on Rodgers

fowler9

So it's the 'Sky Generation' who don't get dazzled by Rodgers' self-serving hype and the myth that he's re-inventing the wheel with his (wow!) passing style? Bollocks. It's more like the Sky Generation are the ones who lap up all this tosh and think this loquacious dwarf is as clever as he thinks he is.

yes it's the 'Sky Generation' type who write off our manager after 9 games and judge him on the back of a documentary that he's contracted to do... give him a fucking break - allow him to impose a very pleasing to the eye football style of play back in the Club and let's see how he's doing after signing a couple of goal scoring wide forwards and perhaps this time next year...

just don't understand why he's been written off so early, especially as we deserve at least 7 points than we've got .. most of our goals conceded have either come from defensive lapses (see Coates last night) or goals on the counter where we have been attacking and which may not have happened had a fit Lucas been covering the attack...

yes it's the 'Sky Generation' type who write off our manager after 9 games and judge him on the back of a documentary that he's contracted to do... give him a fucking break - allow him to impose a very pleasing to the eye football style of play back in the Club and let's see how he's doing after signing a couple of goal scoring wide forwards and perhaps this time next year...

just don't understand why he's been written off so early, especially as we deserve at least 7 points than we've got .. most of our goals conceded have either come from defensive lapses (see Coates last night) or goals on the counter where we have been attacking and which may not have happened had a fit Lucas been covering the attack...

He's a coach isn't he? That's what he keeps saying. So it's up to him to use this brilliant coaching brain to cut out the defensive 'lapses'. Maybe he's too hoarse from bigging himself up non-stop and blaming players for whatever goes wrong. As for those two goal scoring wide forwards he's going to get - forgive me if I don't hold my breath.

He's a coach isn't he? That's what he keeps saying. So it's up to him to use this brilliant coaching brain to cut out the defensive 'lapses'. Maybe he's too hoarse from bigging himself up non-stop and blaming players for whatever goes wrong. As for those two goal scoring wide forwards he's going to get - forgive me if I don't hold my breath.

so it's the 'Mike Walker' syndrome - a little man from a little club comes to a big club and starts acting the big man - maybe you're right, he is all this but I think he's got a bit of Mouriniho 'belief' about him which makes him act like a twat sometimes (the envelopes) but so far I like what I'm seeing in terms of playing style...remember 10 years ago this weekend walking out of West Ham at Anfield top of league under Ged - I felt embarrased with the dross we played....two banks of football and knock the ball the forward for the big man (Heskey) to knock on to the poacher (The Little Bastard) - give me Rodgers any day!

Guest ShoePiss
If all we're doing is faff about fairly attractively whilst being humiliated at regular intervals, give me Roy Evans any day. At least he didn't cream himself in self-adoration every time the team passed the ball to each other.

Yeah that's all that we did under Evans, faff about fairly attractively. He was deemed a failure overall but under him we finished what, 4rd,3rd,4th,3rd?

Now it's a good thing getting knocked out of a cup and we should be happy if we can finish 6th.

Still hoping for the best, understand he needs time but the entire project is a concern. I'm really worried about his defensive philosophy. I've said this before but his quote that it always takes longer for the defence to get to grips with the way he wants to play is scaring the shit out of me.

I still don't understand what he's actually basing that on. Some people brought up Swansea last year saying they did better than the other teams that came up, that all great but his defence was still leaking goals left and right. So far our defensive record is poor, oh and we have trouble scoring still.

Hopefully things start clicking, the squad depth is a huge problem though and he was fucked over with that. He needs time and our support.

Our organization is shambolic. 2 sometimes 3 players going for the same ball. No sign at all of an organized press. It's done as individuals and results in spaces all over the place.

And that's above and beyond the basic shit like, you must close down players on the edge of the box else you will concede three goals from set piece clearances in your first 9 games. You must have someone drop into the defensive line if the CH goes out wide, or you will leave open a free shot to, of course, untracked runners from midfield.

It keeps happening.

But Lucas will fix all that!

Front of tomorrow's Telegraph Sport supplement says: "Rodgers ready to ditch highly paid stars in summer clear out".

yawn.... at some point Brendan needs to start looking for some fuckers to bring in and willing to work under him; all this provided he plans to be successful in Liverpool. Unless he's been tempted from the Being Liverpool success and is looking to quit coaching and chase a career in Hollywood.

In the meantime from next summer the Hedge Fund owners will be cashing in £100m per season only from TV rights....

Guest ShoePiss
yawn.... at some point Brendan needs to start looking for some fuckers to bring in and willing to work under him; all this provided he plans to be successful in Liverpool. Unless he's been tempted from the Being Liverpool success and is looking to quit coaching and chase a career in Hollywood.

In the meantime from next summer the Hedge Fund owners will be cashing in £100m per season only from TV rights....

Really? Thats a little under £40m per season above what we currently get for broadcasting, not bad at all. Where did you get that figure? It could pay for the stadium expansion within a few years or so.

Yeah, cos they've pocketed so much money from the club so far.

I didn't know that "next summer" equals "so far".

I am confident though that they bought the club way below its real value, for some decent profit when they sell it in mind as well as the new TV rights and sponsorships deals in the meantime. Not but for the FSG Sports charity.

Really? Thats a little under £40m per season above what we currently get for broadcasting, not bad at all. Where did you get that figure? It could pay for the stadium expansion within a few years or so.

I think we currently get around 40-50m if I'm not wrong. I have posted two links a while ago. I was lurking at RAWK and took them from there, they were posted by their admins. It summed up the new TV rights deal from next season. The figures were somewhere between 90(worst scenario)-105m(best scenario) per season..

So keep that in mind when we debate about player contracts, transfer budgets etc...

I didn't know that "next summer" equals "so far".

I am confident though that they bought the club way below its real value, for some decent profit when they sell it in mind as well as the new TV rights and sponsorships deals in the meantime. Not but for the FSG Sports charity.

They are obviously looking to make a profit and I dont think anybody is naive to think that they arent or that any other owners wouldnt be looking to do the same.

But, there is a difference between making money and deliberately asset strpping and taking everything for themselves which they arent going to do. Which is what it looked like you were suggesting.

They are obviously looking to make a profit and I dont think anybody is naive to think that they arent or that any other owners wouldnt be looking to do the same.

But, there is a difference between making money and deliberately asset strpping and taking everything for themselves which they arent going to do. Which is what it looked like you were suggesting.

No I'm suggesting that they will pocket big part of our new sponsor and TV rights deal and won't invest the money the club generates, nevermind investing their own funds.

I'm also suggesting that the manager, instead of making a soapopera with envelopes of who is going to betray his "Jogo bonito" style of play, deadline dramas about 30yr old strikers from Fulham, or who is going to leave next summer, he should be focusing on convincing some serious talent to join us. If he wants to be a success...

The club is getting more £££ from new deals, the wage bill has been reduced, so there is no excuse whatsoever for not investing what the club generates back to the team. The manager should be aware. That's what I was talking about when I said he is inexperienced on internal politics a couple of pages back.

No I'm suggesting that they will pocket big part of our new sponsor and TV rights deal and won't invest the money the club generates, nevermind investing their own funds.

I'm also suggesting that the manager, instead of making a soapopera with envelopes of who is going to betray his "Jogo bonito" style of play, deadline dramas about 30yr old strikers from Fulham, or who is going to leave next summer, he should be focusing on convincing some serious talent to join us. If he wants to be a success...

The club is getting more £££ from new deals, the wage bill has been reduced, so there is no excuse whatsoever for not investing what the club generates back to the team. The manager should be aware. That's what I was talking about when I said he is inexperienced on internal politics a couple of pages back.

Youre a bit fucking dim arn't you.

Still hoping for the best, understand he needs time but the entire project is a concern. I'm really worried about his defensive philosophy. I've said this before but his quote that it always takes longer for the defence to get to grips with the way he wants to play is scaring the shit out of me.

I still don't understand what he's actually basing that on. Some people brought up Swansea last year saying they did better than the other teams that came up, that all great but his defence was still leaking goals left and right. So far our defensive record is poor, oh and we have trouble scoring still.

Hopefully things start clicking, the squad depth is a huge problem though and he was fucked over with that. He needs time and our support.

It doesn't matter what his philisophy is really. Without top class players we aren't going to achieve what we want the club to achieve. It's that simple.

I think Rodgers success will be far less determined by his tactics, than by the quality of players he is able to bring in under the budget he's given. If he can get some top class players for bargain prices (it's definitely possible) then he will be fine. If he brings in shit, then there are no tactics that will allow him to succeed IMO. Not Shankley, not Paisley, not even Fergie could have success with shit players in todays footballing climate. It's simply far too competitive, much more so than 10 or even 5 years ago.

Guest ShoePiss
It doesn't matter what his philisophy is really. Without top class players we aren't going to achieve what we want the club to achieve. It's that simple.

I think Rodgers success will be far less determined by his tactics, than by the quality of players he is able to bring in under the budget he's given. If he can get some top class players for bargain prices (it's definitely possible) then he will be fine. If he brings in shit, then there are no tactics that will allow him to succeed IMO. Not Shankley, not Paisley, not even Fergie could have success with shit players in todays footballing climate. It's simply far too competitive, much more so than 10 or even 5 years ago.

It really does matter what his philosophy is but yes, we do need some better players. If you look at how we've conceded goals though it's a lot more due to how we're set up (or the lack of execution) than it is poor players. Just look at those players, Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Kelly/Wisdom/Enrique, we hardly need an upgrade on them.

Oh and it's fucking Shankly. I'm sorry but the amount of reds that can't spell his name right drives me up the wall.

You can't separate the style and tactics from the kind of player. If he wants to play the same style as Barca he needs players with the vision and first touch of Barca players, able to trap a sharply played pass made at 3 yards. We don't have many players like that at the moment.

For the record, while he wasn't my first hope as manager, I think we have to give him the run of his contract - instability breeds instability. I think he could help his own cause with people that are losing patience by explaining what we are NOT doing in terms of his plan and project. We are certainly shipping goals and creating less chances than we did last year, or so it seems. And this with Luis with 10 goals in 13 games.