You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Early thoughts on Rodgers

fowler9

Yes as he failed to bring in someone along side him! we still rely on him etc this clearly should of been addressed by now! that is his judgement is it not? some of them players that looked bad last year now look even worse and more marginalised...

Nobody plays alongside him though!

We play with 3 forwards, one central - unless there is a play better than Suarez then you play with Suarez, and the two either side have to have the ability to play wide e.g. Sterling.

Some of the players that looked bad last year, have simply continued to look shit - that isn't his fault. Downing and Enrique have been lazy and cowardly (as well as plain old shit), the only difference is that Sterling and Wisdom being so positive has meant that we don't need to play them, so they are not marginalised they are just no indulged.

Lets turn this around.

What good exactly have Rodgers done in his 5 months here?

I cant see anything positive at all, unless of course you think playing youngsters without actually getting results is some kind of achievement.

Boundless enthusiasm, brave decision making i.e. giving young players their chance, attractive style of play, freezing out the shite from the worst transfer spree in our history. There's 4.

Boundless enthusiasm, brave decision making i.e. giving young players their chance, attractive style of play, freezing out the shite from the worst transfer spree in our history. There's 4.

I think all the above is well open to interpretation.

No more boundless enthusiasm than Kenny.

Young players would likely have played anyway.

Freezing out the shite isn't necessarily true - we just witnessed a terrible 45 minutes from Joe Cole in the league cup exit, whereas we probably shouldn't have sent Carroll out on loan.

Brave decision making could equally be seen as foolhardy.

I can't see a great leap forward in entertainment from last season either. It's often a bit tramp Barca.

I wouldn't say any of your BR positives are 100% concrete factually.

I'm really unimpressed by him, dead annoying when taking plaudits. There was that Sterling goal that he was banging on about the methodology and how exactly how and why we scored that. Oh, do me a favour. Maybe he can talk through each goal we concede - soft rubbish goals that soft rubbish teams let in.

What I would say is he 100% deserves to get at least a striker in of quality in January if possible but if we languish around 10-14 by the end of the season, then I think he'll be in trouble and rightly so. I can easily see us finishing bottom half.

Maybe he can talk through each goal we concede - soft rubbish goals that soft rubbish teams let in.

No, no, no - those things are the players' fault. Something magical happens at those moments - all of his preternatural coaching powers disappear and all he can do is go off to the press to complain about the dross - highly paid dross - he has to work with. "All I can do is send them out and give them their chance to shine. That's all I can do as a manager". A bit less verbose, then, than when, as you say, he's taking all the credit for something that goes well.

On balance I quite like him and the fact is barring unforseen events he is going to be our manager for the next few years even if I didn't. The results are still disspaointing on the whole but a few good youngsters cant hide the fact that the squad in very thin on quality players . Expensive acqusitions such as Henderson and Downing look second rate and Gerrard is in decline. I don't really know how much more it's realistic to expect him to deliver with what he has to play with. He is hoping the likes of Sterling and Suso become top flight players and he gets some cash to bring in a decent striker. I think in Allen we have a really solid player and hopefully Lucas can come back and get back to where he left off.

I think all the above is well open to interpretation.

No more boundless enthusiasm than Kenny.

Young players would likely have played anyway.

Freezing out the shite isn't necessarily true - we just witnessed a terrible 45 minutes from Joe Cole in the league cup exit, whereas we probably shouldn't have sent Carroll out on loan.

Brave decision making could equally be seen as foolhardy.

I can't see a great leap forward in entertainment from last season either. It's often a bit tramp Barca.

I wouldn't say any of your BR positives are 100% concrete factually.

I'm really unimpressed by him, dead annoying when taking plaudits. There was that Sterling goal that he was banging on about the methodology and how exactly how and why we scored that. Oh, do me a favour. Maybe he can talk through each goal we concede - soft rubbish goals that soft rubbish teams let in.

What I would say is he 100% deserves to get at least a striker in of quality in January if possible but if we languish around 10-14 by the end of the season, then I think he'll be in trouble and rightly so. I can easily see us finishing bottom half.

mmm, maybe, but Code asked what he had brought, the inference being nothing of course, but he has brought with him great enthusiasm/determination for the role regardless of the fact that Dalglish had it. He is definitely preaching an attractive style of play, whether this becomes successful only time (ha) will tell, he's shown great trust in youngsters imo, more than any previous manager and that has to be a plus and he has moved on and frozen out quite a large chunk of the dross brought in at criminal expense, he can't get shut of all of them at once. Perceptions I guess.

Yes, and remember that. He didn't lose it. We, they, someone else, always loses games. That's how out of their depth managers fight for their lives to stay in their jobs.

So would I if I was on a Liverpool manager's wage. Although I could probably live off the compo if I reused my teabags and left things on stand-by less.

I seen Rodgers post game interview, did he watch a different game to me because I thought joe Allen had a poor game as did the rest of the midfield, and he was going on like it was a Momo cup final 2006 performance.

In fairness hes not the first manager to do that. I'm pretty sure he knows full well Allen was poor.

I think managers have to find the right balance in praising and sticking the boot in to their players when needed.

I think Rodgers has done alright in that respect so far.

Yes' date=' and remember that. He didn't lose it. We, they, someone else, always loses games. That's how out of their depth managers fight for their lives to stay in their jobs.[/quote']

He's not fighting for his job though is he. We were outplayed by Swansea and rightly lost the game.

One game.

You carry on though.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Apart from the matches we've won, we've not won any games all season. If that's not reason enough to sack him, I don't know what is. Add to the fact that other than wins or draws, we've lost all our matches, well, I think it's pretty obvious what has to happen.

All you nay-sayers, what would you prefer we did? Get rid of Rodgers and replace him with who?.

I'm not in the "nay-sayers" camp, but the answer would be the man who shouldn't have been sacked, to start all this off. Not the last one, but the first one.

The one whom we mustn't mention.

Tottenham have just sold Modric for £30m +, we don't have players who could raise cash - Downing, Henderson and Caroll probably, but I would be surprised if collectively they get £35m for the them and they cost £70m!

It isn't about being a 'selling club', but outside Chelsea and City, most do raise extra by doing this. We have 3 or 4 players who won't contribute, can't be sold and whose wages are far too high to move on and this isn't his fault. Cole, Downing, Caroll and Enrique are closing in on £20m a year in wages.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I'm not in the "nay-sayers" camp, but the answer would be the man who shouldn't have been sacked, to start all this off. Not the last one, but the first one.

The one whom we mustn't mention.

Can you imagine how many games Rafa'd get before people were on his back? One? Two?

Apart from the matches we've won' date=' we've not won any games all season. If that's not reason enough to sack him, I don't know what is. Add to the fact that other than wins or draws, we've lost all our matches, well, I think it's pretty obvious what has to happen.[/quote']

The games we win in the future can't really count either. So it's perfectly clear to me that Rodgers is the worse manager of all time.

I seen Rodgers post game interview, did he watch a different game to me because I thought joe Allen had a poor game as did the rest of the midfield, and he was going on like it was a Momo cup final 2006 performance.

You could say the same thing about Kenny and Downing, Henderson, Adam, Carragher (didn't cost us so doesn't really matter) and Caroll for all of last season!