You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Chief

Even as a smoker I don't have any real issue with the ban in general; I never used to smoke in cinemas and the like even when you could, although I do miss being able to sit down and have a smoke after a meal in a restaurant rather than huddling outside in the rain like a tramp.

That said, it was very much the thin end of the wedge and it's being taken to ridiculous extremes now. For example, here's a picture of the Metrolink stop that I catch my tram from every morning:

3829107_bc6423d6.jpg

There are about five or six people waiting there at the most at the time I catch it, more usually one or two. The platform is well over 100 feet long. No smoking, not just in the shelter mind you but on the entire fucking platform. If any of you are familiar with Oldham, you will know that it tends to be a bit breezy a lot of the time especially in a location as exposed as that, so the chance of anybody having to endure any passive smoking at all, even standing a couple of feet away from me, is nil. It has nothing to do with health and everything to do with demonising a section of the population.

Incidentally, for anybody who wants to tell me what a burden I am on the NHS consider the following:

Cost to the NHS of treating smoking related diseases: approximately £2 billion per year.

Duty and VAT collected from tobacco in 2012-13: £12.3 billion.

Far from being a burden on the NHS, smokers are subsidising it (and other areas of government spending) heavily.

The next time you think you're being hammered for tax on petrol or beer, you might also want to consider that the price of tobacco products has risen by 80% in the last 10 years and approximately 75% of the cost of a packet of cigarettes is comprised of tax and duty.

A smoking ban in restaurants was a great idea for us non-smokers,and in food related buildings and areas, but it has reached Nazi-esque proportions in some instances. The smart move would be to quit and save you the breathing related problems in later life though. Not wanting that to come across like a smart arse,its just that Ive seen the damage it can do to family,even the non fatal illnesses that make later life a much bigger struggle than needed.

It's hard as fuck to give up though. I only smoke when I drink and I've tried a few times without any luck.

I know a boy who used to be a smackhead and he said he found it much easier to give up the heroin than the snouts.

It's hard as fuck to give up though. I only smoke when I drink and I've tried a few times without any luck.

I know a boy who used to be a smackhead and he said he found it much easier to give up the heroin than the snouts.

I can understand this a little as its the habit forming additives added to the tobacco that make it extremely difficult to kick the habit. As a youngish(?) fella yourself though you would feel so much better in such a relatively short space of time if you did kick it. Also you have a young'un and it wont be long before they are lecturing you on the evils of the deadly weed. It will also make playtime with them much easier when they become super active in a couple of years time. Surely to do it for your youngster is the ultimate motivation?

I can understand this a little as its the habit forming additives added to the tobacco that make it extremely difficult to kick the habit. As a youngish(?) fella yourself though you would feel so much better in such a relatively short space of time if you did kick it. Also you have a young'un and it wont be long before they are lecturing you on the evils of the deadly weed. It will also make playtime with them much easier when they become super active in a couple of years time. Surely to do it for your youngster is the ultimate motivation?

I agree with all of that.

Unfortunately the Mook who has had 4 or 5 pints doesn't agree.

Guest Pistonbroke

I know people who gave up smoking over 20 years ago and they still crave for a ciggie when they are in the vicinity of someone having a tab. 

I gave up myself last summer and found it initially quite easy, then I thought fuck it and started again after 6 months away from them, mainly because I enjoy a tab now and again. I only smoke between 3-5 a day like, depending on what I'm up to. 

I gave up last year after God knows how many years on the biftas

Put on a fair bit of weight but haven't touched one since December

Hangovers are a lot less fierce when you don't smoke and taste and smell are a lot more interesting

Gave up 10 years ago . Ponce the odd one or two now and then if i'm out with a mate that still smokes but scares the shit out me the next day that I might start again, Also notice that even a couple of tabs and I'm coughing in the morning, It's  true that you're never ever quite free of the fucking things but packing them in was probably the hardest thing I've ever done and for that reason I would never start again

If you want to quit smoking there is no better way than this...I used it to quite ten years ago (I had tried numerous times before that, failing miserably. This worked a treat.

51LI3C4BYPL._AC_US218_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking-ebook/dp/B012YRMG76/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496037349&sr=8-1&keywords=the+easy+way+to+give+up+smoking

Gave up 10 years ago . Ponce the odd one or two now and then if i'm out with a mate that still smokes but scares the shit out me the next day that I might start again, Also notice that even a couple of tabs and I'm coughing in the morning, It's true that you're never ever quite free of the fucking things but packing them in was probably the hardest thing I've ever done and for that reason I would never start again

I'd also give up the ponce who is your mate. A bad influence.

If you want to quit smoking there is no better way than this...I used it to quite ten years ago (I had tried numerous times before that, failing miserably. This worked a treat.

51LI3C4BYPL._AC_US218_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking-ebook/dp/B012YRMG76/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496037349&sr=8-1&keywords=the+easy+way+to+give+up+smoking

Just read all of this today (found it online).

Going to have my last cigarette tomorrow morning, cut the rest up, then, er, not smoke. 

I fear it would have lots of amateur psychology/bullshit in it, and, whilst it does have a bit, it is undeniably a decent book. 

I have been a consistent, but light, smoker. Five a day for about a decade. Perhaps even fewer for the first half of that decade. Anyway, I'm very confident this is it, and feel pretty decent. To be honest, I haven't really properly tried to give up before. So, I'm not sure whether I should be this confident. But I am.