You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Your first cup final

Antynwa

Mine was the 1988 FA Cup Final against Wimbledon. I was 14 at the time and on the books at Chester City, and got my ticket via their keeper at the time as he couldn't go. My stepdad had to drive me down from Cheshire and then as I went into the ground by myself, he went off to find a pub to watch the match. It was an emotional game, just for all the wrong reasons I suppose. Seeing Aldo miss that pen will forever live long in my memory.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was a big fan of Heighway myself. Badgered my dad to take me but he went with a few of my uncles while i watched it with my cousins at their house and stayed the night.

It was a great day as they had a lovely big house in Roby with a tree house in the garden and a field to play footy on.

It was a poignant moment in retrospect as the FA Cup later held less than happy memories for this family.

see what you mean. Poignant indeed.

2001 was definatly my year went to my 1st F.A Cup final in fact went to all 3 finals that year , didnt think we were gonna do it till the little sit popped wiv 2 at the end crackin seat row 1 were the dip is in the millenium was in dortmund the following wednesday for a rollacoaster of a match slept in the airport got the 1st flight back another belting day out were picked up at the airport ferried all round Germany lunch by the rhine in Cologne free ticket all on the company [ our firm is owned by germans ] cracking seat just where gary mac swung the last free kick in from

My first final was Athens 2007.

As previously mentioned before, it was a horrible day. Pissed down, shithead coppers, dickhead fans, no beer, cold chips, getting beat.

My first domestic final was this season's CC final. Awesome day if not a bit hairy with the way the game went. Wembley took my breath away when I first walked out of the concourse and into the stadium itself.

The semi vs Everton will live long in the memory. Especially singing all the way down Wembley Way heading back to the tube station.

Here's hoping for more of the same on Saturday evening

COME ON YOU REDMEN!

2001 UEFA Cup final. I was 9, my dad gave me the choice of that or the FA Cup Final and I choose that.

I was probably too young to really appreciate it all, I remember going to the game decked in my full Liverpool kit and crying when my old man took my Liverpool scarf off me and swapped it with an Alaves fan.

My arl fella took me to the 77 final, when I was 5, it was one of the first games he ever took me to. The only real things I remember are how green and huge the pitch looked, how much noise the crowd made and crying when we got beat. Luckily we had many more finals to erase that memory. Really hope we can do the biz on Saturday.

74 Newcastle. Went by coach off the estate. Left at 11 30 Friday night and got to wembley at 5 30. I was 13 and our coach was 90% kids some older lads and a few mums. All flares,feather cuts and budgie jackets.

At the ground we mooched about and got into the ground through the entrance where the players coach used to go. We fucked about as kids will and soon got bored climbing up the goals. Got chased out and about 10 of us bunked on the tube into London whipping milk off the steps and generally misbehaving.

Got off the tube at some stop and thought we saw a load of reds on the other platform until they saw us and we realised they were cockneys looking to cop for scousers to knock fuck out of.

Got a good chasing but made it back to wembley ok. When the reds specials arrived the sight of them coming down wembley way flags flying all singing sent shivers down my spine and I knew we would fucking batter them that day. We were unstoppable. None of us had a ticket but nearly everyone of us got in. 2 of the older lads decided to hide in the ground after we got in earlier but got frogmarched out just after they opened the gates. Poor cunts had hid from 6 00 until about 12. where was you hiding we asked when we met them " in the royal box, didn't think they would bother looking there they said. We all agreed that was bad luck. Happy days

77 two of them, one good one not so. We won the League and was there as well so it went on from there. Blessed is not the word, seven big ears, five won and two lost, five carling cups or whatever you want to call it and three FA cups. Soon to be four.

Fucking hell it makes me smile as so many memories.

Seen us beat the best and the rest.

I had to wait until the 2003 Worthington - fantastic day, always remember the "Owen, weapon of Manc destruction " banner (highly ironic now.) One bright spot on an otherwise dismal season. Cardiff was great for finals - you could walk to the stadium from the station in 5 minutes.

It was the queuing up for 5 hours on the way back that took the edge off it a bit.

74 Newcastle. Went by coach off the estate. Left at 11 30 Friday night and got to wembley at 5 30. I was 13 and our coach was 90% kids some older lads and a few mums. All flares,feather cuts and budgie jackets.

At the ground we mooched about and got into the ground through the entrance where the players coach used to go. We fucked about as kids will and soon got bored climbing up the goals. Got chased out and about 10 of us bunked on the tube into London whipping milk off the steps and generally misbehaving.

Got off the tube at some stop and thought we saw a load of reds on the other platform until they saw us and we realised they were cockneys looking to cop for scousers to knock fuck out of.

Got a good chasing but made it back to wembley ok. When the reds specials arrived the sight of them coming down wembley way flags flying all singing sent shivers down my spine and I knew we would fucking batter them that day. We were unstoppable. None of us had a ticket but nearly everyone of us got in. 2 of the older lads decided to hide in the ground after we got in earlier but got frogmarched out just after they opened the gates. Poor cunts had hid from 6 00 until about 12. where was you hiding we asked when we met them " in the royal box, didn't think they would bother looking there they said. We all agreed that was bad luck. Happy days

Cracking story. Especially the Royal box bit! I was 9 then and would have given anything to have gone that day. My dad and mate's dad would take me to just a few home games a season those days in the paddock or the Kemlyn stand and have cherished memories of those early 70's seasons.

My first domestic Cup Final was the 1987 League Cup final against Arsenal when I was 14. Not a good way to see your first major Liverpool final. It was much nearer the end of the season back in those days too and we were really struggling in the league at the time but when Rushie scored we all breathed a sigh of relief as we’d never lost when he’d score in the previous 149 (I think) games. Getting to Wembley and stepping out into the stand and seeing the pitch still sticks with me to this day though. I was dumb struck.

My first cup final as well, remember the lovely weather and being dumb-struck at the pitch and stadium..Rushie scoring and thinking we will win - Charlie Nicholas' goals..long journey back..

..other final was Wimbledon in 1988..

..you'll be glad to hear I am not going on Saturday..

In the spirit of another FA Cup Final. I thought it would be nice to share memories about your first ever cup final.

Mine was the 2001 FA Cup Final. I was about 10 at the time, and went with my Dad. I remember my Dad bringing the ticket with him when he picked me up from school, I was showing all my mates being the big show off I was. Now to to the day itself, Bacon and Egg butties at 5 in the morning, me Dad had packed a cool box full of other shite, we got picked up by our friend who drove us there and back.

It was a decent car, I think it was Vauxhall Vectra, brand new. I had my full Liverpool Kit on, a scarf and I had some J-LO On me CD to play on the way which was boss. Took us a few hours to get there, and it was fucking boiling, I just remember the heat being so intense. We went to the Mitre Pub and watched Soccer AM I think, or something like that was on the tele. They had a BBQ out back and it was ace, I had been to a few games prior to this, but this was different this was special.

We walked around the city, through the castle, Dad was drunk as a fart, and i got my programme, and got one of those horns. Cue headaches all round. Oh and it was boiling, did I mention it was boiling.

Now to the game itself, I was smack bang in the middle of the upper tier behind the goal, about 2 rows from the front. The hot weather was just simply too much and I just had scarf, my horn and my liverpool shirt over my back.

I can't really remember much about the game itself to be honest, all I remember was crying my eyes out when Ljunberg scored. I was devastated, I was in buckets, my Liverpool Shirt was soaked in tears. However, when we came back, it was crazy everyone was holding me up, I shit myself at one point because I thought i was going to fall!

I can honestly say that it was the best moment I've ever felt going the match, it was an incredible feeling, the day, the occasion, I know Owen isn't loved anymore, but part of me still loves him for that, he was my hero as a kid.

On the way home, Dad kipped in the back and I sat in the front, on the way out of Cardiff a bunch of Arsenal Fans in a people carrier shouted 'Good Luck in Dortmund', I gave them 2-1 with my fingers and then got slapped by me Dad. What a knob, me I mean, not me Dad.

Being the young impressionable fan I was, the driver taught me the words to Poor Scouser Tommy, How he dealt with me I'll never know.

We got home just as the sun was setting over Merseyside, what a day.

You see, we had this discussion about what is best, fourth or trophies. You can't buy memories like this, you can buy players, but you can't buy the feelings you get when you lift the cup. It'll remain my best ever cup final, until hopefully this week, when I see the reds at Wembley again.

Love this idea. Good effort, beats all the arguing about shite league form.

Mine was the 1988 v Wimbledon! Not much else to say about this one? The semi was great, as was the game v forest in the midweek that followed. (5-0)

Charity shield the same year brought a smile to my face.

1989 I had my ticket already when my dad rang me (I was 16) saying he had got two freebies with a meal thrown in as he was working with NEC at the time. I was considered a tout and even had teachers asking me for spares Sold mine at face value to a bloke I knew and took a mate down with the other. Overnight coach from lime street and I believe sandbach services was emptied of supplies en route.

It used to be sunny in may?

1989. Obviously everyone knows the events leading up to the final. My Dad had got us 3 tickets for the semi final but gave them back at the last moment as we were going on holiday the next week. They were for the Leppings Lane end as well but the people he gave them to came home. We went to the ground to see the display of flowers on the pitch went to the Catholic Cathedral for a memorial service, I can remember standing on the steps with thousands of people all silent outside listening to the mass on a warm spring evening.

The day after we had our first family holiday to Italy, something I should have been really hyped up for but I was a bit indifferent to it after the events of the past week. I can remember watching the Everton V Liverpool game as it was live on Italian TV, it was on the same night Napoli were playing Stuttgart in the UEFA Cup, I was surprised that our game took equal billing on Italian TV as I thought that Italians would have hated us after 1985.

Two days after we got home my Dad arrived home from work with 2 Cup Final tickets, straight away me and my brother (I was 14 and he was 9) bagsied them, leving my other brother to watch it at home.

Got the coach there and ours was a strictly red coach, there were hardly any songs on the way down until we pulled up alongside an Everton coach on teh M6 who all decided to show their arses at us, we then started singing lots of songs and all got hyped up about the game.

Got goosebumps on the way up

1989. Obviously everyone knows the events leading up to the final. My Dad had got us 3 tickets for the semi final but gave them back at the last moment as we were going on holiday the next week. They were for the Leppings Lane end as well but the people he gave them to came home. We went to the ground to see the display of flowers on the pitch went to the Catholic Cathedral for a memorial service, I can remember standing on the steps with thousands of people all silent outside listening to the mass on a warm spring evening.

The day after we had our first family holiday to Italy, something I should have been really hyped up for but I was a bit indifferent to it after the events of the past week. I can remember watching the Everton V Liverpool game as it was live on Italian TV, it was on the same night Napoli were playing Stuttgart in the UEFA Cup, I was surprised that our game took equal billing on Italian TV as I thought that Italians would have hated us after 1985.

Two days after we got home my Dad arrived home from work with 2 Cup Final tickets, straight away me and my brother (I was 14 and he was 9) bagsied them, leving my other brother to watch it at home.

Got the coach there and ours was a strictly red coach, there were hardly any songs on the way down until we pulled up alongside an Everton coach on teh M6 who all decided to show their arses at us, we then started singing lots of songs and all got hyped up about the game.

Got goosebumps on the way up

Cont'd

Apart from Aldrige'd goal the whole game was completely forgettable apart from Pat Van Den Hauwe dragging one of their bellend fans off.

Felt a bit cheated that the game was a bit of an anti climax but after they equalised the game exploded into life and was very nerve wracking. Unfortunately the only goal I got a decent view of was MCall's second as by this time me and my brother were sitting on the greyhound track behind the goal.

Due to loads of pitch invasions mainly by them there was no lap of honour so we left, straight away me and my brother bumped into my Dad who informed us that he had sneaked in after the gates had been opened on 90 minutes and seen the entire extra time, plus some bird who took her top off when Rush scored his header!

Just about got back on the coach as it was pulling out of the car park, our coach driver managed to get us home for 9 despite a tyre blowout by Birmingham.

Couldn't wait to go into school on the Monday and tell everyone about it.

1989. It seemed to pass in a blur to be honest. I remember it being very hot, pretty tense, a shit 90 minute game (Aldrige's goal aside), and then jumping up and down and hugging some bloke I'd been stood next to, and dancing with him (!) after Rush scored the last goal. I remember the drive back was weird. Both exhausted and on cloud nine at the same time.

1977. I was gutted

Arguably, THE worst day of my childhood. Cried myself to sleep.

Then won Big Ears four days later. Happiness.

(But that loss at Wembley still eats at my craw. Still. We were the side that deserved that treble first, not fucking "Injury Time United" in 99.)

86 vs Everton - 18 yrs old and went on my own - on a coach from Scunny Utd F that me mas blagged me on - coach only - the tkt came via Allan Clarke (ex SUFC manager) paid £40 for a £15 tkt - well my Uncle Brian did - had a couple of beers en riute and sat near corner flag at end where all the goals were - I recall the fans stealing in by climbing and leaping - loons, also a huge banner - "Red and Blue side by suide gathering cups for Merseyside" - great memories - also a veteran of 2001 and 2006 - we won em both - 2001 I was trolleyed and we stole it from the Gooners who bossed us - West Ham in 06 was bizarre - we didnt play - bar one exception - "Stevie G" he was immense - two of THE best goals EVER