You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Favourite *reasonably priced* car?

Pony Princess

Say you have up to £30k to spend on a car (you have to spend it on a car) what you get and why? This is like a 'car within your reasonable-est dreams' choice.

I know it is a lot of money but dream car threads usually just end up with ferrari's, lotus, bentleys etc. What would you get that was practical for your life and would make you happy? There are some amazing cars out there for that kind of money - what would you fancy? What do you drive now and what are its pros and cons?

I have a Toyota Celica which I love, but high running costs are a problem and if I was commuting a long way to work everyday it would not be a great choice.

If I had 30k to spend I'd be torn between:

Mazda RX8

imgmazda%20rx-81.jpg

Great build quality, amazing looking, nice interior, rotary engine. Desirable and likely to retain a low depreciation. I believe they have stopped making them now due to the high carbon output of the rotary engine - so should be able to snap up some nice ones a few years old as opposed to buying new.

Honda Accord

hire_honda_accord.jpg

Again, great build quality, top of the range models have a lot of cool features and it looks great. A real mile-eater.

Would be a tough call between the two. My penis would want the RX8 but my head would want the Accord. I know there are flashier cars like some of the BMW's and Audi's but I think I'd be after those two. I love the Audi A6 as an alternative to the Accord but I'm not sure about the availability of parts and the steep price tag. Essentially, I'd want a car that is nice but I can park it on the road without worrying about people keying it out of jealously, supermarket dints etc and not ridiculous running costs (although I think the car tax due to the carbon output on the RX8 is bad).

So, GF, what practical car would you get if you had a decent chunk of money to buy it with?

I don't drive, but if I did, ChickenLicken, I think I would be following your example and opting for one of those sporty Japanese efforts. That said, I have always had a soft spot for Lotus too.

Funnily enough, the missus's father was just shopping in this kind of price range and he went for a BMW 320D M Sport Convertible.

Guest ShoePiss
RX8s look great but the engines have a habit of flooding on startup and the rotary seals go at about 70k (engine rebuild).

Merc SL55 is an awesome car and a low miles well looked after one can be had for under 30.

Owning an RX8 is a little different to most cars because of the rotary. I've never had a flooded engine once, you're supposed to let the car idle for a while and warm up and certainly don't shut it off cold like pulling it out onto the drive to wash it.

Paid $35k and sold it for $12k 4 years later, the mpg can be a problem for some and that's the main reason the arse drops out of them on resale. Very reliable car although I didn't get anywhere near 70k buying it new ;)

It's a motorbike on 4 wheels, wonderful power delivery and sound. Great build quality and a lot of fun.

I was looking at a BMW M5 estate yesterday. It was black, only done 16,000 miles and was one of only 1,000 they ever made.

It was up for £31k. Bear in mind some poor cunt had spent well over 80 grand on it only 2.5 years ago!

I reckon they'd have taken £30k for it, so I'd have that.

Now that's a car that does and has absolutely everything you could ever possibly want a car to do.

It's an estate, so you can terrify your dogs and four friends at over 200mph after you've taken off the speed limiter.

Ridiculous car.

Downside? RED leather seats. No thanks!

Reasonably priced?

Fucking hell, I am assuming the amounts being bandied about we have, for some bizzare reason taken to Ugandan dollar currency in this thread? If thats the case then Ill keep the thirty grand if its all the same to ewe. Surely itd be better to use it to fuel a fire, get some toast on an that?

Guest Slim(fast)Shady

Clio Sport....

And pocket the rest...from the days of my all time fave Hot Hatch Renault GT Turbo...have loved the fast Renaults

Guest ShoePiss
Reasonably priced?

Fucking hell, I am assuming the amounts being bandied about we have, for some bizzare reason taken to Ugandan dollar currency in this thread? If thats the case then Ill keep the thirty grand if its all the same to ewe. Surely itd be better to use it to fuel a fire, get some toast on an that?

To be fair I don't think the op is saying 30k is reasonably priced, he's basically saying dream car within reason of say 30k. It does initially read like 30k is reasonable for a car but I think he didn't want loads of pictures of Ferrari California Spyders, here's one though and the last one at auction went for over $10m at Pebble Beach.

calspyderpebblebeachlead.jpg

Reasonably priced?

30k is a lot of money, but it is not 'a lot' for a nice car.

And you can't keep the money, you have to spend it on a car! I made that clear in the first post! So - what car would you buy Mr Tooth you lovable lefty commie fruit-bowl <3?

Some interesting choices for the rest of you though, I'm liking it.

Lee - I too would have a field day if I had 30k to spend on a motorbike. But I think I would be happy with one of these bad boys.

BMW R1200 Adventure

R1200GS_ADVENTURE_LHS.jpg