You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely red, stupid two footed tackle.

It is utterly pathetic that that is classed as a red though. Not by yourself but by the laws of the game. I've said elsewhere that Rosicky mistimed one that meant that Lowe couldn't continue for Blackburn but never got carded. Whereas Givet goes in and gets a touch on the ball, van Persie can continue and he gets sent off for the potential of causing an injury? How about the actual causing of an injury or is that just a hazard of playing the game?

Would be a massive boost for us that. I don't think Arsenal would be in the top half without Van Persie. Same with Newcastle and Demba Ba.

Btw, I thought that was a foul on the goalie by Faubert, how can you allow that goal?

definately and I'm one very against goalkeeper protection!

It is utterly pathetic that that is classed as a red though. Not by yourself but by the laws of the game. I've said elsewhere that Rosicky mistimed one that meant that Lowe couldn't continue for Blackburn but never got carded. Whereas Givet goes in and gets a touch on the ball, van Persie can continue and he gets sent off for the potential of causing an injury? How about the actual causing of an injury or is that just a hazard of playing the game?

I agree with you mate. The problem with two footed tackles is that I think referee's have been instructed to send anyone who goes in two footed off while one footed tackles are down to interpretation of the referee.

Its the same with loads of one footed tackles. If you compare Givet's tackle to Assou Ekotto's on Di Santo then Givet's tackle was a much less dangerous tackle and it was only Di Santo that had to go off with an injury. Yet one wasn't even a yellow card and the other is a straight red and a 3/4 match ban.

That really did look like an awful challenge.

I take the points made about tackles and red cards, injuries etc but it's been clear for some time that the EPL, FA, EUFA are now more worried about protecting clubs assets than they are in the spectacle.

I'd hate to see a return to the type of tackling common in the 70's and 80's where good players were literally kicked out of games, but equally I'd hate to see tackling taken out of the game completely.

It's a fucking minefield, that's for sure.

I agree with you mate. The problem with two footed tackles is that I think referee's have been instructed to send anyone who goes in two footed off while one footed tackles are down to interpretation of the referee.

Its the same with loads of one footed tackles. If you compare Givet's tackle to Assou Ekotto's on Di Santo then Givet's tackle was a much less dangerous tackle and it was only Di Santo that had to go off with an injury. Yet one wasn't even a yellow card and the other is a straight red and a 3/4 match ban.

I do agree that it is tough on refs because they have been instructed to behave like this but they don't make it easy for themselves by sending off them all in this situation. It is also, for me at least, unclear what is a two footed challenge. Johnson on Lescott, I think it was, for example was a pure two footed one as his feet was together and he fully left the ground. Both reds so far today, Givet and Nolan, haven't been like that at all. Both have gone in with one foot and needed the second to raise to add balance because they are reaching for it.

I understand the logic behind protecting players, hence why the tackle from behind has been near enough outlawed. Not that I agree for a minute that every one of them is a danger to players. But if you are wanting to stop incidents that can cause injury to players then any slidey is gonna be included because any tackle of that manner has the opportunity to injury a player. Be it for the rest of the game or the rest of the season.

You've gotta, to a degree, be in control of what you are doing as a player and win the ball for it to be a fair challenge, in my book. Doesn't matter how stong you are in that regard. Look at the Spearing red at Fulham. Proper hard challenge that caught the lad on the follow through. Rosicky today wasn't as strong in the challenge, didn't win the ball and caught the lad on the follow through. Spearing got a red. Rosicky got fuck all. It is this kinda thing that allows the refs to look fuckin' daft.