You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FAO Out of towners, wools, mongs and the Irish.

Sugar Ape

Dear OOT's, wools, mongs and Irish,

Settle an argument for me please. Do people outside of Merseyside use the word ' boss ' to describe something good? As in :

My word George, that is a boss T-shirt you are wearing.

Or

That sex was fucking boss last night ( sadly no one has ever said this to me. )

Feel free to ask your own questions to our resident OOT, wool, mong and Irish brigade. In return you may ask us scousers some questions and we may even answer them for you.

Thank you.

Definitely an OOT (exiled). Define wool

'Boss' is not used as a term of approval in these parts, Ednburgh, but I think it in my head...but, like Melons, never in relation to sex (read what you will into that)

Why do you ask?

Definitely an OOT (exiled). Define wool

'Boss' is not used as a term of approval in these parts, Ednburgh, but I think it in my head...but, like Melons, never in relation to sex (read what you will into that)

Why do you ask?

I maintain it is mainly used only on Merseyside. A work colleague disagrees. Think melons has used it in relation to sex.

To me a wool is from ormskirk, st.helens, Runcorn etc.... You can't really define it as different people will have different definitions.

I maintain it is mainly used only on Merseyside. A work colleague disagrees. Think melons has used it in relation to sex.

To me a wool is from ormskirk, st.helens, Runcorn etc.... You can't really define it as different people will have different definitions.

Borderline OOT/wool then

Re the use of 'boss' I'm thinking you're right.

Re Melons, you're right about that too.

Ha, i should clarify, it depends on the situation, he really had to be good for me to use the word boss, and not someone i'd expect a loved up relationship with because for me to use it, it'd be pretty hard for that sex to get any better, ad we all know once you get loved up sex more often then not becomes shit.

I think I’m all of the things mentioned in the thread title and I can for almost certain answer, no. One of those rare occasions where a word is very much of a certain town. I’ve never heard an Irish person use it in the context that it is used in Liverpool.

However, what "milky" says is correct, and after initailly been a traveller word it has migrated somewhat into the Irish vocab. I use the word "chief" on occasion. In the context, of "Thanks for that chief". And others use "boss" in that way, but even that is fairly rare.

I think I'm all of the things mentioned in the thread title and I can for almost certain answer, no. One of those rare occasions where a word is very much of a certain town. I've never heard an Irish person use it in the context that it is used in Liverpool.

However, what "milky" says is correct, and after initailly been a traveller word it has migrated somewhat into the Irish vocab. I use the word "chief" on occasion. In the context, of "Thanks for that chief". And others use "boss" in that way, but even that is fairly rare.

I wouldn't say you are all the things mentioned in the thread title johnny. You're not really a wool.

Given that I live with the Frenchies, boss is not the word I hear. I don't hear it with the ex pats, either. They say cool, great, all the normal stuff. The locals go with "super", which is annoying, and "hallucinant", which is kind of OK. Change "boss" to "hallucinating", be pretentious like the frogs...

I say 'boss' around West Cork a lot. It makes me appear sophisticated and well travelled.

Any time you hear "boss" around west cork it's normally followed by,delete as applicable, "..would you like to buy a carpet,wood,gates or your tools back I stole of you earlier"

Is that you Jim?

Never heard anyone say boss outside Liverpool unless am with a gang of wools and will guarantee that they will be saying boss with a couple of hours of being with me. Apparently the scouse accent is very infectious. They also start to say la at the of their sentences when they are with me. And not in that harry enfield way.