You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

In an ideal world there'd be enough good local players to break through to our first team, but there's definitely not.

There never will be. There's a limit to how many good young kids there are on Merseyside and we have to comepte with Everton for local youngsters (as well as Tranmere, Wigan, Blackburn, City, United etc, for kids in the wider local area).

We need to compete with the likes of United for the best young talent wherever they're from.

Barcelona have the best youth system in the game for developing local talent, but it doesn't stop them bringing the likes of Messi over.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really.

"Our academies are not just full of local players. They are full of foreign players too. That's a bit of a problem for me.

"I think no foreign players should leave their country until 18 or maybe 21 and I think I think the academies should be for local players."

Scary to think that some would want him in after Kenny.

I knew there would be people who would interpret his comments in completely the wrong way.

Merseyside has given birth to some of the greatest footballers this country has ever seen.

I quite like Stan Collymore on the station as well. He is very knowledgeable when it comes to football and his shows are often good debates with Mark Saggers mainly. I don't agree with everything he says but despite his accent he is a good listen. When we were at our lowest under the previous owners he regularly raised the topic on his shows and put some of our so-called legends to shame who were scared of losing their perks.

I agree with this. Collymore certainly has his faults but he went up in my estimation over G&H.

I knew there would be people who would interpret his comments in completely the wrong way.

Merseyside has given birth to some of the greatest footballers this country has ever seen.

And still will. But you can't be insular about it. We need to be competing for the best young players wherever they're from. We always have to compete with Everton for local youngsters and missed out on Barkley and Rooney who are the best two players to come through in Merseyside since Gerrard. So that leaves us restricted if we keep the academy for just local players, while other clubs are bringing quality youngsters in from everywhere.

Who cares if we bring foreign players through? If they're good enough then great, if they aren't then that's when it's a problem. Houllier and Rafa brought too many average foreign youngsters over, but why did they? Because the players coming through the academy were not up to scratch. The likes of Robinson and Kelly are a lot better standard.

"Our academies are not just full of local players. They are full of foreign players too. That's a bit of a problem for me."

Little scope for interpretation there. He's saying he has a bit of a problem with academies taking foreign kids as well as locals. It's obvious he would prefer them full of local players. I agree with him to an extent - but players like Messi expose his dream as a fallacy and that's just one incredible example.

The comments about foreign first-team players at the club (wives, meals etc.) were far more questionable, depressingly predictable as they were.

"Our academies are not just full of local players. They are full of foreign players too. That's a bit of a problem for me."

Little scope for interpretation there. He's saying he has a bit of a problem with academies taking foreign kids as well as locals. It's obvious he would prefer them full of local players. I agree with him to an extent on this one - but players like Messi expose his dream as a fallacy - and that's just one example.

The comments about foreign first-team players at the club were far more questionable, depressingly predictable as they were.

Ant says scousers have produced loads of top players, which we have, but who's produced more top local players than Barcelona? Doesn't stop them bringing over Messi and other talent from places like South America to complement them. I guess he should have stayed in Argentina to keep Carragher happy.

It's a parochial, narrow minded outlook which we could do without.

Ant says scousers have produced loads of top players, which we have, but who's produced more top local players than Barcelona? Doesn't stop them bringing over Messi and other talent from places like South America to complement them. I guess he should have stayed in Argentina to keep Carragher happy.

It's a parochial, narrow minded outlook which we could do without.

Carra's honesty is something to be applauded since most footballers are happy mouthing moronic soundbites, however it's becoming clear every time he does these interviews that his reputation as a "scholar of the game" will take a rightful battering.

So what good young foreigners have made it here over the past 5-6 years then?

Compared to the money we have wasted in bringing sub standard Vitor Flora, Jordy Brouwer, Carl Medjani, etc types over the years here the return is minimal.

I'm sure Carragher for instance would be delighted if Coates ends up a mainstay taking his place in the side for the next 10-12 years for instance.

A lot of people are suggesting this is our best crop of young players to come through for a generation. I am sure by having overseas players in the academy, this has helped those local players step their game up. By this I mean when you play with better players you improve your game.

Is it a coincidence that this highly rated group of young players has had the access to playing with overseas players and overseas coaches, I very much doubt it.

This is a good example of Carragher's lack of conceit.

He thinks he made it because he was "given a chance" whereas he Owen and Gerrard were far better than everybody else. There hasn't been anyone of that calibre at that level of the club since.

I'm not surprised by the reaction to his comments, he seems pretty much fair game now in certain circles - not that it's going to do them the slightest bit of good.

Free yourselves, folks. Carragher and internet abuse did not get rid of Rafa Benitez, nor could they ever have done so and two wrongs won't make it right anyway.

His problem seems to be the "full of" bit of it and not just that there's anybody foreign here. He wouldn't be the only red to think a load of shite foreign mediocrity was brought in over the last ten years when a similarly mediocre job could have been done by academy products but a lot cheaper.

But then I keep forgetting that if you didn't worship Rafa you must be xenophobic.

So free yourselves a second time. Internet abuse will not get rid of Carragher.

That'll be down to a manager who still thinks he's good enough (for the moment) and has just spent 80m on English players and given chances to Flanagan and Robinson so I assume shares a few of his opinions and concerns.

But, y'know, knock yourselves out.

He thinks he made it because he was "given a chance" whereas he Owen and Gerrard were far better than everybody else. There hasn't been anyone of that calibre at that level of the club since.

I'm not surprised by the reaction to his comments, he seems pretty much fair game now in certain circles - not that it's going to do them the slightest bit of good.

Free yourselves, folks. Carragher and internet abuse did not get rid of Rafa Benitez, nor could they ever have done so and two wrongs won't make it right anyway.

His problem seems to be the "full of" bit of it and not just that there's anybody foreign here. He wouldn't be the only red to think a load of shite foreign mediocrity was brought in over the last ten years when a similarly mediocre job could have been done by academy products but a lot cheaper.

But then I keep forgetting that if you didn't worship Rafa you must be xenophobic.

That'll be down to a manager who still thinks he's good enough (for the moment) and has just spent 80m on English players and given chances to Flanagan and Robinson so I assume shares a few of his opinions and concerns.

If his problem was with the "full of" bit, he probably wouldn't have stated, unequivocally, academies for locals only. He's getting stick because it's daft, unenlightened, impractical, etc etc.

You're point being what exactly?

So what good young foreigners have made it here over the past 5-6 years then?

About as many locals have in the last ten years.

Why are you still so obsessed about Rafa? Time to get over it perhaps?

Edited by The Dude Abides

My point is. If you stop making an effort with local lads. It's just not Liverpool Football Club, it's just a football club.

Yes we should be looking far and wide, but we should also be looking much closer to home. If we didn't, we wouldn't have Fowler, Carra and Gerrard. We haven't produced much since then I agree, but there has been fuck all chances given. Flanno possibly the only exception.

Kelly?

Shit, totally overlooked him.

Yeah Kelly is one as well. Speo perhaps finally getting some games as well.

My point is, I don't for one moment believe that out of all the lads playing football in Liverpool and coming up through the ranks. We don't have one or two that can actually make it. Because Liverpool has and always will be a bastion of footballing ability.

It's a fucking damn shame Rooney went to Man United.

The Dude Abides you could argue that Kelly, Spearing, Flanagan, Robinson have shown good potential wheneve they have played. Nobody of any note who we have signed over the past 10-12 years since GH took control maybe has done anything of any note when they have been bought young, yes I know Djimi has a CL medal but for the outlay we have spent on foreign players over the years hasn't really been worth it.

People may laugh at the likes of Butt, O'Shea, Fletcher, Brown at United and their abilities but the way I look at it they between them played over 1000 games between them for the most successful side over the past 20 years so if the likes of Robinson, Flanagan and Spearing never tunr out to be world beaters as such, but if they end up as valuable parts of the squad as the United lads were then that is all good.

I flicked over to RAWK after someone mentioned them in this thread, I suddenly contracted eye AIDS from the hate they have for Carragher over there. Bunch of meffs.

If you want a good laugh look for posts by Al 555. The guy has constructed the world's most elaborate conspiracy theory, that proves beyond all doubt, that Carragher is the root-cause of original sin.

My point is. If you stop making an effort with local lads. It's just not Liverpool Football Club, it's just a football club.

Yes we should be looking far and wide, but we should also be looking much closer to home. If we didn't, we wouldn't have Fowler, Carra and Gerrard. We haven't produced much since then I agree, but there has been fuck all chances given. Flanno possibly the only exception.

Who's saying to stop making an effort with local players?

You're talking shit again, Ant.

Do you think everyone who says Carra is talking shit or isn't playing well are doing so cos they like Benitez?

Who's stopped making an effort with the local lads? Kelly, Spearing, Robinson and Flanagan have all played for the first team this season alone.

Then you watch the next gen series and there's a few good local lads developing well and the same in the under 18s. There's also - shock horror - a few good foreign players as well. And these foreign players are helping bring the local lads along - as are the foreign coaches. But according to Carragher the academy should be for locals only. I just disagree with him.

Let's not get all little England again. Doing that brought Roy fucking Hodgson here and look how that turned out.