You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Things that are really tall

Pony Princess

Did one of those slightly wussy base jumps in New Zealand once, pretty memorable feeling stepping off into nothing but air from the tallest structure in the southern hemisphere though. Piece of piss those really, with the line attached. I'd love to do a parachute jump. Those vids of people hanging off towers... that's a bit much.

I only climb houses, flats and similar 'small' structures but you wouldn't get most people doing it. The health and safety element has gone mad - when im on a chimney these days it looks like im about to go mountineering with all the safety ropes and harnesses i have to wear. To be honest i love that side of the job, there's something empowering about being really high and looking down on everyone. I was always really scared of heights as a kid, then i decided to combat it by doing a skydive. Now i work at heights as i job - and i love it. Life works in mysterious ways.

I'm the same as you mate. I was scared of heights as a kid,i even baulked at some rollercoasters.

Now im a roofer , have been for about 13 years,and it dosent bother me at all really.

Saying that, i'l be fucked if im climbing that aerial :wow:

I can stand on high building,look down etc no problem but the feeling on dropping be it on a roller coaster is a nightmare.Even if im playing GTA or the first crackdown game if my character falls from a hieght my eyes close and stomach ends up all over the place.I get the same feeling while on a plane aswell.

I would be a shit superman.

It's not heights that bother me as such, it's just that I don't trust my brain and my legs...

I get this almost uncontrollable urge to jump, just to see what will happen. I know the answer, fall and go splat but that does not stop my traitorous brain from suggesting it anyway. I can feel the muscles in my legs start to twitch and tense up in antici...

...pation of the leap.

Cunting brains. You feed them good quality books, drugs, music and visuals and they go and do this to you.

• Upvote 1

Its not my stomach that goes when I watch those kind of videos its my balls. Like theyre trying to get back inside me. I kept thinking watching that first video, should he not be a little bit closer to the thing hes climbing? Then when he leant back to have a rest... bloody hell. I couldn't watch all of it.

Simply awesome. Also interesting to see the Twin Towers still standing.

Phillipe Petit rigged a wire between them and walked it several times before being arrested. The mad fuck.

Man on Wire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's not heights that bother me as such, it's just that I don't trust my brain and my legs...

I get this almost uncontrollable urge to jump, just to see what will happen. I know the answer, fall and go splat but that does not stop my traitorous brain from suggesting it anyway. I can feel the muscles in my legs start to twitch and tense up in antici...

...pation of the leap.

Cunting brains. You feed them good quality books, drugs, music and visuals and they go and do this to you.

I get this too, but mainly when I'm driving quite fast, part of my brain says 'why don't you just drive into that wall, to see what happens?'

• 3 months later...
I'm going to Nevada next month, hiring a Harley and going round monument valley, grand canyon etc. I've been told to avoid the skywalk as people say it is a rip off. You are not allowed to take pictures, have to pay them for their pictures etc. I'd go anyway to have a nose but its way off the beaten track of the usual amazing viewpoints, the west, southwest and south rims (snigger) but its a pure hike and the road isn't suitable for motorbikes.

I've been there, before they built the skywalk. It's on the Hualapai Indian reservation, which meant the tour bus had to go through a crazy Joshua Tree park/desert area. So definitely not for bikes.

But I will say the viewpoints are absolutely stunning, regardless of what rim you're at. The grand canyon is one of those places that seriously delivers a jaw dropping experience.

At the works Christmas meal, one of the managers - a 60 something woman / life long spinster - goes to my mate (who's finishing his Knickerbocker Glory), "That's an impressive erection you've got there Billy..."

Without pausing, he fixes her in his stare and says, "I'll tell you what's impressive...I can eat the cherry at the bottom of that glass without a spoon."

Boom, fucking beetroot she went. Pissed herself right there. Ha ha.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...