You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Walking Dead Thread (spoilers and zombies inside)

William_Ulsterman

I'm starting to think that they should actually kill Rick off. I'm not sure where there is for him to go as a character, and he shouldn't really be able to continue to get away with the shit he does. It would also completely change the dynamic of the show and would perhaps allow them to do things a bit differently.

I'm starting to think that they should actually kill Rick off. I'm not sure where there is for him to go as a character, and he shouldn't really be able to continue to get away with the shit he does. It would also completely change the dynamic of the show and would perhaps allow them to do things a bit differently.

I don't think you could get away with that on TV as maybe you could in a comic. Viewers want characters that they can attach to and killing off Rick without ending the show just wouldn't work. You are effectively ending the journey of the show if the POV character is killed off.

I don't think it's a great show, it relies too heavily on having a good zombie set piece every week. It builds and demolishes stories too quickly, and it never gives enough backstory to peripheral characters for you to care when they're inevitably killed. Plus we all know the core cast will never die which reduces the jeopardy of the show.

You can't beat a bit of zombie action but the show is so heavily flawed.

• Upvote 3

I think putting him in a coma for 12 episodes would be more prudent. It would change the dynamic while he's out of action and allow him to wake up wih a renewed sense of purpose, etc

I don't think you could get away with that on TV as maybe you could in a comic. Viewers want characters that they can attach to and killing off Rick without ending the show just wouldn't work. You are effectively ending the journey of the show if the POV character is killed off.

Works well enough in Game of Thrones, and in fact in Walking Dead too, and I think Rick is losing his likability, which I think they've possibly done on purpose so that they can bring him back (again), but for me, Michonne is now the better, more sympathetic character, and could easily take over Rick's role in the show. The journey of the show would move to her bringing up Judith, looking after Karl and leading the the rest of them. It would give the programme a new dynamic and it would also be good to have have a black female as the main character on one of the biggest show's on TV

Ok the big moral question.

When the tasty blonde got bit because of her son would it have been legitimate to cop a quick feel before running off?

That's what Karl was upto wasn't it, teenagers and their hormones hey!

I actually think that Rick getting with the tasty blonde would have been good, would have softned him up, would have given his character somewhere to go. Its only since the last episode that I've felt its time for him to be killed off, maybe that's why

GoT established several characters from the beginning with their own stories and started offing what was seen as a major character from the first season. Walking Dead only established the zombie world when Rick awoke in the hospital and the dynamic of the group has been based on his actions. You would kill the narrative by killing off Rick, especially 6 seasons in. The only way it'd work is to finish the show.

GoT established several characters from the beginning with their own stories and started offing what was seen as a major character from the first season. Walking Dead only established the zombie world when Rick awoke in the hospital and the dynamic of the group has been based on his actions. You would kill the narrative by killing off Rick, especially 6 seasons in. The only way it'd work is to finish the show.

I think the programme has been pretty good at establishing some of the other characters throughout the series, and I'd say that after about 2 to 3 seasons, it was no longer about Rick. There have been a few occasions where we haven't seen Rick for a good 3 or 4 episodes in a row and its been fine.

At the moment, I'd say that the narative is that they do what they need to do to survive, and Rick isn't needed for that, if he dies the rest still have to survive. If the narative was to get to some point where there is some kind of cure and no more zombies, then Rick would probably need to stick around. I've not read the comics, so don't know what the end game is, but at the moment, its doesn't seem to be about a magic cure.

I think the programme has been pretty good at establishing some of the other characters throughout the series, and I'd say that after about 2 to 3 seasons, it was no longer about Rick. There have been a few occasions where we haven't seen Rick for a good 3 or 4 episodes in a row and its been fine.

At the moment, I'd say that the narative is that they do what they need to do to survive, and Rick isn't needed for that, if he dies the rest still have to survive. If the narative was to get to some point where there is some kind of cure and no more zombies, then Rick would probably need to stick around. I've not read the comics, so don't know what the end game is, but at the moment, its doesn't seem to be about a magic cure.

There's no foreseeable end game in the comics (so far). You just see the further development of the post-zombie apocalypse world and how the characters fit into it. Suffice it to say, the comics are still boss; the TV show dips in and out of their plot lines now and changes the order/pace occasionally. Broadly it's still in line with the comics, but there's loads of great suff that hasn't been touched yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, another good one.

I just wish that whoever is responsible for choosing the music in this would get eaten alive by zombies as it has possibly the shittest music of any TV show ever. It is always, without fail, fucking atrocious.

Don't mind a bit of Hozier tbh