You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Paying for Public Toilets

Pay for Poo  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Pay for Poo

• Yes - 50p for pleasant experience
    • No - I'll sit on an aids-pan for free

Just got back from a break in Gdansk which I really enjoyed, obviously beer flowed and a good time was had by all. One thing I noticed was that public toilets, in tourism hotspots or not, were all manned by rough looking Polish ladies and charged anywhere between 1-3zlt to use them (20-70p-ish) however the presence of the live-in-scrubber meant that they were all clean, fresh smelling and I was confident of placing my rosey cheeks on the bowl.

I know there's one or two paid-for toilets in Liverpool, most noticeably in Liverpool One and Lime Street Station but I would be quite happy paying such a nominal sum to access bogs that were hygienic and it meant not sneaking into a pub/bar for a stealth-shit.

What's the general consensus? Would you be happy to pay?

Guest davelfc

Well we have less and less public toilets these days. I remember as a kid there used to be loads and often with an attendant.

They've all but gone now and yet there's still the requirement for people to use the toilet.

Personally if I'm in an eatery or a pub and spending my cash in there then I begrudge having to spend further to use their toilet facilities. Next they'll be collecting for coins for the meter or asking if someone can help with the washing up.

As a requirement of their food licence they must provide clean toilet facilities, if they do not then report them. Don't give them an avenue to further screw us for cash.

But getting back to public toilets, I can't think of any around here now.

Guest davelfc

While I'm on the subject of toilet facilities I'm sure many of you have seen the portable pissers that they put on to the streets in Amsterdam.

portable-urinals3.jpg?w=300&h=222

I think they are an excellent idea, instead of just fining people in the city centre out drinking of an evening for urinating down alleys why don't they provide an alternative, like the dutch do.

They have these in Southport, you have to pay 20p and they are pretty clean as they get cleaned 2-3 times a day (total wash out.) They were a nightmare at first as all the tramps used to sleep in them and shoot up of a night. Was speaking to one of the cleaners and he said many a morning there would be piss, shit & blood all over the place.

This was until they figured out the automated locking system and they all get locked out now about sixish.

I don't mind paying 20p for a clean place to have a shite.

Guest San Don

Wouldnt use a public bog for a shit! Always make sure I've 'been' before we go out.

Those things in amsterdam would be no good to me either. I'd get embarassed bladder and wouldnt be able to pee knowing the public was right behind you.

Waste of time introducing them here too. I mean how many pissed up party goers are going to use them? They'll still piss in the street.

We were paying around 30p to use the toilets in Croatia, but they weren't of a good standard.

We have them portable toilets (like the ones in Amsterdam) in Belfast and they are brilliant for when you are dying to take a piss on a night out. They should have them in every city in the UK.

Thats a great idea, but how about taking it one stage further and inventing a system were tubes attach to your testes and send the warm piss around your back and chest like a cental heating system. On a night out in the winter you could save your whizz until you left the bar. Imagine walking out the pub doors into the icey cold night and then hey presto, your as warm as toast. Surprised this hasn't already been invented for people climbing Everest and stuff.

Guest davelfc
Thats a great idea, but how about taking it one stage further and inventing a system were tubes attach to your testes and send the warm piss around your back and chest like a cental heating system

Wow you piss from your testes? Personally I piss from my bladder. Or are you taking the piss?

Got caught out the other week in Wales for this, couldn't figure out why the door to the public gents wouldn't open then I heard a sarcastic attendant sitting in a booth in the middle of the gents and ladies telling me I had to pay to get in, as if I was trying to break in there like a cheap skate.

Made the point of telling him I was paying 20p to have a shit. Felt good when I saw his reaction.

Anyway I did my business and a few minutes later Mrs Juniper returned to the car from the ladies in a hurry and panicking, informing me that her toilet had blocked and she had flushed it too many times, resulting in an overspill. Hate to think what the guy had to clean up after her.

She made me proud that day.

(although women don't poo, so I was also slightly confused)

Temple bar in Dublin was a cunt for this. Some Nigerian fella hands you a bit of kitchen roll and wants a quid. The bogs were filthy everywhere and stank of shit. Fair enough the first time but after 10 or so beers I go 4 or 5 times per hour. No fucking way was he getting any more. We actually avoided pubs because there was a big scary black fella in the bogs.

Pub owners in Dublin take note, you are losing punters.