You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lurtz

• 9 months later...

Bit of a review of last night's gig at The Movie Dome, Holmfirth if anyone's interested:

Well that was the best I've ever seen them play. That's what 35 years of practice will do for you I guess. Vanian and Sensible are the only surviving original members but with the possible exception of Rat Scabies, Vanian and Sensible are the Damned aren't they? Monty Oxymoron on keyboards is a very amusing (and highly talented) addition with his own unique brand of freaky dancing and Pinch on the drums chipped in with the occasional quip.

It's the first time I've ever been to this venue too - an old cinema converted into a blacked out dingey live venue which suits The Damned better than anywhere I've seen them play before.

Vanian ever the showman and Sensible played the red beret topped clown. I struggle to think of a band with so much charisma and fun who simultaneously deliver such a top class musical performance. The set was more eclectic than I've ever seen before too. They started with Wait For The Blackout and proceeded to bang out the first three tracks of The Black Album, plus Hit or Miss, which was a real treat. They launched into some old favourites like Love Song and New Rose and even ventured into some less well played pieces including Stretcher Case, Antipope, I Fall and Fan Club.

Plan 9 Channel 7 followed I Just Can't Be Happy Today and at one point we were even treated to Curtain Call which was unspeakably brilliant.

Two encores (the Yorkshire oaf behind me screaming "what's t' point gorinoff ifyer orrnleh gonna come back on agenn?") included a short punk version of Happy Talk which was hilarious, the entire audience singing Happy Birthday to Captain Sensible (having previously belted out the traditional "Sensible's a wanker"), a couple from Strawberries - Ignite and Disco Man, then Alone Again Or and Eloise and all topped off with the obligitary and utterly brilliant anthem Smash It Up.

Vanian and Sensible are well into their fifties now and they still perform with the energy they had in 1977. They're unique and an absolute class act and last night reaffirmed their place in my top two all time favourite bands. It felt special seeing them on this, their 35th anniversary world tour. I freely admit to "getting something in my eye" during both Plan 9 Channel 7 and Curtain Call which were two of the many highlights of a fantastic performance. I only hope that wasn't the last time I ever see them play. Long live The Damned.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Holy fucking crap, Al. Just found out The Dickies are touring with The Damned. This is the best day of my life.

There cant be many of the originals left in the Dickies as if I remember correct,theres at least 3 of them dead.

Was not into them much as the majority of there stuff was just cover versions speeded up,but I guess live it would come across pretty good.

They reminded me of a wannabe Ramones type of band.

There cant be many of the originals left in the Dickies as if I remember correct,theres at least 3 of them dead.

Was not into them much as the majority of there stuff was just cover versions speeded up,but I guess live it would come across pretty good.

They reminded me of a wannabe Ramones type of band.

Dawn of the Dickies is one of my favourite albums. Still got it on blue vinyl.

They did a few punked up covers but their originals made up 90% of their work. Stukas Over Disneyland, Waterslide, I'm a Chollo, Attack of the Molemen. All brilliant and distinctive. Cannot fucking wait to see Leonard Graves Phillips doing his stuff on the same bill as the Damned.