You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Stewart Downing

RobbieOR

I could really give a fuck about "width", or "delivery" tbh. I want players that play between the lines, players with imagination, guile and craft. Who are willing to receive the ball in tight areas, get their foot on it, turn and make something happen.

Especially after what we saw last night, that is the bench mark, that's what we should be aiming for.

What a load of fucking shite.

What we should be aiming for is a team that can win the fucking title that United have just won for the 19th time.

Fuck Barcelona and their tippy-tappy bellend football that only the highest paid team and players on the planet can achieve.

I don't fuck a merry fuck about them. I just want the title.

I could really give a fuck about "width", or "delivery" tbh. I want players that play between the lines, players with imagination, guile and craft. Who are willing to receive the ball in tight areas, get their foot on it, turn and make something happen.

Especially after what we saw last night, that is the bench mark, that's what we should be aiming for.

The team last night play in a different league with different demands, Arsenal show how far that gets you in our league and the Mancs, sadly, have shown what you need.

At the end of the day you need a good blend of both, having someone like Downing out wide stretching teams allows you to then utilise that or allow space for players like Gerrard and Suarez etc to operate between the lines in the middle of the pitch but let me be clear Barca are a freak product of 15 years work at academy level to get a nucleous who can operate with one mind.

To match that requires a youth production line we can still only dream of, it did not come about by signing a bunch of strangers and sprinkling fairy dust on it. In the meantime we have to build a team that can create the spark to set a standard for those youth players to aim for when they start to come through.

This is from someone who has been one of Downings biggest critiques on the merits of his ability for the past 3/4 seasons but he is the 'type' we need unless you prefer Jovanovich?

The team last night play in a different league with different demands, Arsenal show how far that gets you in our league and the Mancs, sadly, have shown what you need.

At the end of the day you need a good blend of both, having someone like Downing out wide stretching teams allows you to then utilise that or allow space for players like Gerrard and Suarez etc to operate between the lines in the middle of the pitch but let me be clear Barca are a freak product of 15 years work at academy level to get a nucleous who can operate with one mind.

To match that requires a youth production line we can still only dream of, it did not come about by signing a bunch of strangers and sprinkling fairy dust on it. In the meantime we have to build a team that can create the spark to set a standard for those youth players to aim for when they start to come through.

This is from someone who has been one of Downings biggest critiques on the merits of his ability for the past 3/4 seasons but he is the 'type' we need unless you prefer Jovanovich?

Arsenal failing to win the league has nothing to do with having players who run between the lines and we wouldnt be better of with having old fashion wingers. We have other problems. But I would prefer David silva type of player to a Downing type of player myself. And Liverpool are in dire need of someone who can run between the lines. Suarez is more of a forward a Tevez type of player, he's a forward who is at his best when he has the freedom to do what he wants and be all over the place. He's not a midfielder and shouldnt be the main creator, even though he creates his share bit

I don't get why this thread is still going, still near the top of the discussion list, still fresh, jesus, what are people talking about?

Fuck me, I've said everything I need to say and I said it two weeks ago when all this speculation gathered pace.

What's changed? What arguement have I overlooked? What aspect of Downing-Mania have I missed, what club statement have I not heard?

Fucks sake, let this thread slide miserably down the page like a speck of jizz on the side of a kettle, it just makes the front page look fucking gay and tiresome.

I don't get why this thread is still going, still near the top of the discussion list, still fresh, jesus, what are people talking about?

Fuck me, I've said everything I need to say and I said it two weeks ago when all this speculation gathered pace.

What's changed? What arguement have I overlooked? What aspect of Downing-Mania have I missed, what club statement have I not heard?

Fucks sake, let this thread slide miserably down the page like a speck of jizz on the side of a kettle, it just makes the front page look fucking gay and tiresome.

I see Liverpool might be looking at the Villa lad, that Downing. Worth a punt do you reckon?

Also, I think NV holds him in quite high reagrd.

• 1 month later...
I don't know what we'll pay, i'm not Nostradamus. I do know, however that we're fully aware that we'll have to pay much closer to £20M to get him. We have said we're prepared to pay it but that could be gesturing - time will tell won't it?

And time told!

Stewart Downing will wear number 19 this season. Just hope this number hasn't been jinxed by the recent players wearing this shirt, which have not been very successfull at the club. Torben Piechnik, Mark Kennedy, Brad Friedel, Pegguy Arphexad, Fernando Morientes, Ryan Babel is previous owners of this number. :eek:

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Stewart Downing will wear number 19 this season. Just hope this number hasn't been jinxed by the recent players wearing this shirt, which have not been very successfull at the club. Torben Piechnik, Mark Kennedy, Brad Friedel, Pegguy Arphexad, Fernando Morientes, Ryan Babel is previous owners of this number. :eek:

We managed to break the jinx of number 7, so 19 can be broken. If anybody can... Stewie Khan.

• 3 months later...

Looks like the 19 curse has struck again as he's been absolute gash so far.

Gash?

He put in a very good cross which was headed wide by Kuyt today.

Against United he put in two balls in the final 10 minutes alone that both should have resulted in goals for Kuyt and Henderson.

That's the last two games alone. He hasn't been brilliant, he hasn't been gash - he has been decent with a few moments of quality. But he needs to offer more threat as I think Bellamy is our best left winger at the moment.