You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Allan

I have heard that for £80 you get some version of the game where you get a years subscription to the elite service, all future map packs for free and no doubt various other bits of tat. Anyone know it this is true ?

Might be worth shelling out up front coz their bound to mik this cash cow for all its worth and release at least 4 map packs

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard that for £80 you get some version of the game where you get a years subscription to the elite service, all future map packs for free and no doubt various other bits of tat. Anyone know it this is true ?

Might be worth shelling out up front coz their bound to mik this cash cow for all its worth and release at least 4 map packs

This is true, it is the Haredened Edition.

I've been toying with the idea of cancelling my current order, and getting this instead. There is no doubt that I'll save money longer term, as I always buy the DLC.

Rumours are that the DLC for MW3 will be monthly through the Elite service and every 2 months normally.

For those intrigued, here's a link to the Elite website, so you can have a gander for yourself.

EDIT: I've just changed my pre order to the Hardened Edition.

Any info on what the DLC are going to be? If it's just stuff like getting new face paint I'm not that fussed, but if they are looking at doing a lot more map packs or stuff like that it would possibly tip me over given I've spent £30 on map packs for Black Ops anyway.

The rumours suggest that each DLC will contain new maps for multiplayer and the new Survival mode, as well as some extra bits.

Nothing concrete has been provided just yet regarding the frequency or the content of the DLC available through Elite, but I would lean toward believing the rumours of monthly content via Elite.

Defo worth keeping an eye on the offal Call Of Duty: Elite site over the coming weeks.

Where is the cheapest place you've seen this yet mate?

Not really done too much digging mate, but I don't reckon you'll find the hardened edition much cheaper than £80. You may be able to save possibly a fiver, or at most a tenner, using some promo codes for any online stores, and Quidco.

80 quid? Could almost buy my own sniper rifle for that.

But who's gonna shoot it kid, you?

You bet I could! I'm not such a bad sniper myself.

I'm sure you'll be happy to hear that sniping has gone back to the MW2 style, so quickscoping a plenty will be on the cards.... Joy!

It never really went away because of the variable scope. The selection of sniper guns looks tasty... but. I'm wondering if I can arsed with the whole thing. Obviously I want to play it, but I'm tempted by a switch to the other FPS "Battlewhatsit". I don't like the sound of all this Elite malarkey, online play should be free.

It never really went away because of the variable scope. The selection of sniper guns looks tasty... but. I'm wondering if I can arsed with the whole thing. Obviously I want to play it, but I'm tempted by a switch to the other FPS "Battlewhatsit". I don't like the sound of all this Elite malarkey, online play should be free.

I suppose quickscoping actually takes an element of skill in BlOps in comparison to MW2, as the animations are different, with the in built 'lag' that Treyarch put in place to try and negate the masses of quickscopers. Now we'll be heading back to people trying all sorts of shit for their montage clips...

There's no way I could choose between the 2 games, so I'm getting both MW3 and Battlewhatsit.

Elite is an optional extra, you can sign up as a free user as well if you like, but you'd obviously miss out on the premium features. The more I read/hear about Elite, the more I'd compare it to buying a season ticket for this forum. Not essential, but you get the extra goodies...

Where does it end, though? They're taking the piss. If Battlefield is all free it gets my vote.

It doesn't end. This is just the beginning in my view. Before we know it, all the publishers will be supplying these additional services for an annual fee.

It's the value that these services represent that will obviously influence people to sign up, or not.

Based on 4 DLC releases at £15 a pop for MW3, you'll save £20 over the course of the years subscription, if you sign up and get the DLC through the Elite service.

If this "discounted" DLC was not available through Elite, there would be no chance that I'd sign up. Seeing as it is included, and considering the very high probability that I would buy any/all DLC released throughout the same period, it just makes more sense to me to bite the bullet and take the hit now. Horses for courses, of course.....

When the day comes that I have to pay to play a specific multiplayer title, and it will, then I'll stop playing online games, and just stick to offline modes.

What happens if you don't like it? 80 snickers down the snotter. I don't like the way that the publisher seeks to guarantee all of this revenue.

Well, it would be £40 down the shitter because the game will be ace, but I know what you're saying.

As you said earlier in this thread, and in previous threads when this topic arose, the publishers are taking the piss. They are pushing the boundaries to see how far consumers will go.

Other publishers will wait to see how receptive gamers are to this service, before they too unleash their own premium services. Nothing is safe from this. It is inevitable in my eyes.

I've never bought a special edition game before, so I'm going the whole hardened hog as a one off treat to myself....

Guest ShoePiss

I don't purchase dlc too often and I really don't like the idea of all this extra stuff at a cost. I want to buy a game and play it and not feel like I'm missing out.

Is it move compatible? :) I got the machine gun thing in March as a present, along with kz3 and went through the story mode in no time. I tried online right after and couldn't play it. Just couldn't get used to the feel of the gun. I started through the story again recently on the hardest level and then had another go online and I love it. I don't win too often but using the gun really is a hell of a lot of fun, so satisfying pointing and shooting as opposed to using the controller.

If Battlefield 3 and this are move compatible it's going to be a hard choice although I don't know how the gun would work controlling aircraft etc.

I don't purchase dlc too often and I really don't like the idea of all this extra stuff at a cost. I want to buy a game and play it and not feel like I'm missing out.

Is it move compatible? :) I got the machine gun thing in March as a present, along with kz3 and went through the story mode in no time. I tried online right after and couldn't play it. Just couldn't get used to the feel of the gun. I started through the story again recently on the hardest level and then had another go online and I love it. I don't win too often but using the gun really is a hell of a lot of fun, so satisfying pointing and shooting as opposed to using the controller.

If Battlefield 3 and this are move compatible it's going to be a hard choice although I don't know how the gun would work controlling aircraft etc.

I don't think either BF3 or MW3 will be Move compatible, but it has yet to be confirmed, or denied, by either publisher.

EDIT: They are porting MW3 onto the Wii, so you never know, Move and Kinect may well be supported after all, although I would anticipate a patch being released at a later date if it were to happen.

I really do hate the way gaming has gone in the past 5-10 years.

I still can't believe people actually shell out 40-60 quid for an incomplete game, lap it up and rave about it and then buy DLC.

I wish gaming was still seen as nerdy and not such big business.

Companies never got away with selling such incomplete products.

Also COD used to have a pretty healthy competitive scene which has been utterly destroyed by constant new releases in the franchise, its got so bad that Activison has had to hold a 1 million dollar tourney for COD, what is even more sad is that Aim assist is allowed and also that aim assist is set as default.

Causal (noob) gaming is destroying the quality of games.

I really do hate the way gaming has gone in the past 5-10 years.

I still can't believe people actually shell out 40-60 quid for an incomplete game, lap it up and rave about it and then buy DLC.

I wish gaming was still seen as nerdy and not such big business.

Companies never got away with selling such incomplete products.

Also COD used to have a pretty healthy competitive scene which has been utterly destroyed by constant new releases in the franchise, its got so bad that Activison has had to hold a 1 million dollar tourney for COD, what is even more sad is that Aim assist is allowed and also that aim assist is set as default.

Causal (noob) gaming is destroying the quality of games.

Consumer decides the market.

Hi,

I'm an XBOX gamer.

FUCK ME HARD IN MY ANUS.

Sick of paying £40 a throw for games, fuck off.

"Yeah but, the games take ages to make and cost loads."

Fuck off, films cost £100m or more and I can buy a copy for a tenner about 6 months after it's release. But I don't, I download them.

How many people here download copies of games and burn them to disk for use on a console?

Hi,

I'm an XBOX gamer.

FUCK ME HARD IN MY ANUS.

Sick of paying £40 a throw for games, fuck off.

"Yeah but, the games take ages to make and cost loads."

Fuck off, films cost £100m or more and I can buy a copy for a tenner about 6 months after it's release. But I don't, I download them.

How many people here download copies of games and burn them to disk for use on a console?

I download games for the 360 and the xbox unless they are decent games. PC games I buy if I like and want to play online (BF3). I only buy 360 if I appreciate a game and will be paying for Gears of War 3. No way am I buying MW3 though.