You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Allan

It's certainly going to be the biggest battle between the 2 publishers, Activision and EA, that I've known.

My early prediction is that MW3 will have the better multiplayer, while Battlefield will be far superior on the campaign side of things. The Frostbite 2 engine that EA are using is outstanding. Battlefield looks like it plays like Medal Of Honor, which is my favourite FPS campaign ever.

Talking of Medal Of Honor, there have been plenty of whispers that a sequel will be released sometime next year. Cannot wait, if these whispers are true.

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some bloke on you tube says it's the same engine as mw2. He seems to think if mw3 doesn't produce something different, battlefield will over take it. I'm not convinced myself.

The CoD games are an absolute con and the ultimate example of style over sunstance. The basic difference between Modern Warfare 2 and 1 was that 2 was shorter. I call that shite.

If you're not into the online bollocks then it's worthless.

Guest TK-421

I like all COD, I'm a proper CODhead me. Would prefer it to be the original Infinity Ward set up but you can't really go wrong with a new COD game.

They are going to start to charge for some aspects of Call of Duty online in November.

Activision has ended months of speculation and announced a subscription service for the biggest game series in the world: Call of Duty.

Call of Duty Elite, according to a report on the Wall Street Journal, launches this November with Modern Warfare 3.

Parts of Elite are free and parts are not. Free is a Facebook style system that helps players meet.

Elite gives players Bungie.net style tools that allow them to analyse their in-game performance. It also provides extra content, including downloadable map packs.

The monthly subscription fee is yet to be determined.

Activision was at pains to stress that Elite does not force players to pay to play online.

The general embargo for Call of Duty Elite lifts later today. Eurogamer will have much more information soon.

If it's going to be subscription based they can fuck right off.

Loved MW2 online, black ops less so and was planning on this being a possible later purchase once I had a gauge on how it was panning out. However they have just made my decision for me and I simply won't be buying it at all now.

They are going to start to charge for some aspects of Call of Duty online in November.

Activision has ended months of speculation and announced a subscription service for the biggest game series in the world: Call of Duty.

Call of Duty Elite, according to a report on the Wall Street Journal, launches this November with Modern Warfare 3.

Parts of Elite are free and parts are not. Free is a Facebook style system that helps players meet.

Elite gives players Bungie.net style tools that allow them to analyse their in-game performance. It also provides extra content, including downloadable map packs.

The monthly subscription fee is yet to be determined.

Activision was at pains to stress that Elite does not force players to pay to play online.

The general embargo for Call of Duty Elite lifts later today. Eurogamer will have much more information soon.

If it's going to be subscription based they can fuck right off.

Loved MW2 online, black ops less so and was planning on this being a possible later purchase once I had a gauge on how it was panning out. However they have just made my decision for me and I simply won't be buying it at all now.

I'll play another FPS where they don't charge subs. Simple.

Calm down dears. The subscription will not be for playing the game online, merely an optional extra, if you wish to analyse your gameplay. Same thing Bungie did for Halo.

Microtransactions are the in thing right now, and it would not shock me if this Elite program also includes the possibility of greater customisation of both your character and your weapons. For a small fee of course.

This is all just the opening shots before they do start to make it subscription only, they are testing the waters to see how many will pay for a bit of extra service.

I might just be very cynical (or should that be paranoid) but it seems to me the gaming industry is now at the stage where the market has grown and they are now looking to ring every last penny they can out of it for the minimum outlay to them. Or to put is another way, the bedroom programmers are out and the money men are in.

I do have a very long winded version of the above but you will all think I've started wearing a tin foil hat.

They were always going to make people start paying for services.They have been bitching about the secondhand market for a while nowso somthing like this was always going to happen.

Wasnt guitar hero activision aswell? because they have scrapped the title which will cost them shitloads,no doubt it will get a reboot in a few years.

Activision: COD Elite will kill cheaters News - - Page 1 | Eurogamer.net

Amid the ongoing Sony hack furore, Activision has pledged to ensure that Call of Duty: Elite, the new multiplayer-focused service set to launch alongside Modern Warfare 3 this November, will help rid the game of cheaters.

Call of Duty games have in recent years been prone to exploits, some of which have ruined the online experience of legitimate players by altering their statistics.

But Activision told Eurogamer the Beachhead-developed Elite should ensure such problems are a thing of the past.

"From a developer standpoint we put an extremely high premium on security," Beachhead boss Chacko Sonny said.

"We have dedicated staff focusing on that from an architectural standpoint, making sure nothing we design is exposed, and we're also making sure that we're securing the events and competitions that will eventually become part of the service."

"If we just built a platform and a technology, all those edge cases would still exist," added Activision digital boss Jamie Berger.

"That's why we have to have this big administrative team there to add the human level of understanding, and assessing individual cases. No machine will be able to tell if another guy cheated in the game. We need people to arbitrate."

In January Infinity Ward blamed Sony and the PlayStation 3's compromised security on PS3 Modern Warfare 2 exploits and hacks.

At the time Infinity Ward promised gamers that it would not rely on platform holders to stop hackers from ruining its future projects.

Being the cynical bugger that I am I struggle to believe they are going to manage this. It's all well and good them blaming the PS3 security but how do they explain the fact that the new MW2 patch is already getting hackers? And indeed the fact that the xbox version has been hacked to buggery throughout and that the ps3 version had hackers before the ps3 core security was hacked.

It's not as bad as it was (it was pretty much unplayable for a while) but I've so far spotted definite wall hack use, rocket launchers/grenade launchers that shoot around corners and I'm pretty certain some aimbots too going off some of the across map shots some of them have managed.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...