You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New HBO Series: Game of Thrones

Mr Nando

As a few have said on the page so far, I can see why it felt a bit of a filler episode and was a bit disappointing. However those who have read the books will know how crazy and unexpected things get in book 3 with the different story lines, some ending some beginning. It should be a great series if the book is anything to go by.

Also anyone worried that the kids are all going to get older faster than they are in the books!

It wasn't a brilliant opening episode but it's setting the scene for what's to come. I'm still looking forward to the remainder of the series. Would've preferred they axed the Sansa scene and instead find out what's going on with Arya, Bran or Jamie.

I read yesterday that they've increased the length of each episode by about 5 minutes, to about 56-57 minutes.

That isn't true.

I picked a random episode from series 2, which was episode 6 titled 'The Old Gods and the New'. Its run length was 40 seconds less than this weeks.

It wasn't a brilliant opening episode but it's setting the scene for what's to come. I'm still looking forward to the remainder of the series. Would've preferred they axed the Sansa scene and instead find out what's going on with Arya, Bran or Jamie.

Don't think anyone is making any assumptions on the whole series from one episode. Just stating that the one episode was a bit shit for a premiere.

It was a mid season pace changer before any pace had been gathered.

That isn't true.

I picked a random episode from series 2, which was episode 6 titled 'The Old Gods and the New'. Its run length was 40 seconds less than this weeks.

‘Game of Thrones’ Season 3 Gets Longer Episodes; Finale To Run Over an Hour

To quote the gentlemen responsible for keeping Game of Thrones moving full-speed ahead:

“There’s almost another full episode’s worth of extra minutes spread across the season,” Weiss says. “One of the great liberties with HBO is we’re not forced to come in at a specific time. We can’t be under 50 minutes or over 60, but that gives us a lot of flexibility.”

“A super-sized season, as befitting Storm of Swords,” Benioff adds. “Last year we had a lot of 52-minute episodes. This year is a lot of 56, 57.”

The average run time for last season was 56 minutes 09 seconds. Well, the downloads where anyway. But doesn't overly matter.

As for the episode, I seem to have seen a different one to some here. What last seasons finale did so well was brilliantly continued in this episode. There was so much story left untold from 'Blackwater' that what was essentially an uneventful episode still needed to be aired.

The scenes involving Tyrion was some of the best written and acted I've seen in a while. Both his sister and father showed so much contempt at his mere being alive that is does leave him in that endless life circle. He is so distanced by his family it leaves him to whore and fuck around. This further distances him, especially from his father, which ultimately leaves him to further whore and fuck around and so on....

Whilst the episode continued to deal with those fallouts from last season, it further progressed numerous characters into position for what will be their arcs within this season and potentially future ones. Daenerys, for example, is shown with ever-growing dragons etc.

The reintroduction of Barristan Selmy was done very well and at a time when I'd completely forgot about the whole 'previously on'.

Boss piece-moving, arc-setting season opener that.

'Game of Thrones' renewed for season 4 | Inside TV | EW.com

It is known: HBO’s Game of Thrones will continue its epic tale into a fourth season.

The network just renewed the show for 10 episodes to premiere next year.

The announcement was expected. Thrones returned to series-high ratings on Sunday night and stands as the network’s biggest current moneymaker. The show’s annual production cost (north of $55 million per season) is offset by strong international and DVD sales. If ratings trends for Thrones and HBO’s top-rated True Blood continue this year, Thrones could replace the vampire drama as the network’s most-popular show.

Creative details for the fourth season have not been announced, but Thrones is expected to primarily use material from back half of the lengthy third book in George R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire saga, A Storm of Swords, as well as pull in content from other novels in the series.

‘Game of Thrones’ Season 3 Gets Longer Episodes; Finale To Run Over an Hour

To quote the gentlemen responsible for keeping Game of Thrones moving full-speed ahead:

I've checked the rest of season 2 and they are all of similar length, within a minute of the one I posted before.

However, I am taking into account the intro and the package highlighting the previous events, I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

I've checked the rest of season 2 and they are all of similar length, within a minute of the one I posted before.

However, I am taking into account the intro and the package highlighting the previous events, I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

I've not seen the new episode and aren't inclined to check against previous seasons, so I don't doubt what you're saying, just rehashing what I'd read.

It may well be an average of an extra 5 minutes excluding titles, etc, as you say.

I reckon John snow is rhaegars son to Ned Starks sister so he has a shout but really I guess it has to be stannis considering bastards are not entitled to shit. But then would John snow be a bastard. That's the reason Ned kept it all secret because he knew the king would have his nephew killed if he found out. So yeah I know how it all ends. John snow ends up fucking his own family member deanerys and they rule together with dragons and shit.

Next week I will be revealing exactly who Jack the Ripper was and his motivations.

Who do people think has the most legitimate claim to the crown?

Right now? Joffrey.

Otherwise, Stannis. As Ned's backing of him shows Gendry and the other bastard children of Robert wouldn't be considered even if they were recognised. I think Jon Arryn was more interested in them as evidence than anything else.

Dany has no claim over westeros as her father lost the throne to Robert who claimed it by right of conquest. Joffrey isnt Roberts son and neither are their siblings so that leaves stannis as the only one with a real claim.

Robb is fighting for a war of independence for the north and the riverlands.

This series is looking good, having read the books shit is about to go down. I just hope they don't change too much to make it fit for a tv audience.

On the hottness front dany is winning but I really would smash most of the birds. I reckon ygritte is the dirtiest.

Right now? Joffrey.

Otherwise, Stannis. As Ned's backing of him shows Gendry and the other bastard children of Robert wouldn't be considered even if they were recognised. I think Jon Arryn was more interested in them as evidence than anything else.

I'm just wondering how can you can say Joffrey has the most legitimate claim when he has the least legitimate claim? Being a child of incest and all and thus no possible relation to Robert? Unless you are talking about one of those wild theories that Jamie and Cersei are the spawn of Aerys raping Joanna...

Now if the question was, who has the most backing? or who looks most likely to win? Then it still wouldn't be Joffrey as Danny has Dragons....

Biggest gripe from new episode: You cut Vargo Hoat and the Brave Companions! Now we wont get the classic "You thlew my bear!" sigh