You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The god Delusion: Richard Dawkins

niallers

[YOUTUBE]7UmotTE-VlY[/YOUTUBE]

She obviously hasn't read her bible. Dozy bint. I hope she's at least knocked up.

1st Timothy 2 11:15

"Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.; she must be quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety."

• 3 years later...

What is wrong with this man? He's like one of those Z-list celebrities who just has to say something offensive if they are out of the news for more than 5 minutes.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/aug/21/richard-dawkins-immoral-not-to-abort-a-downs-syndrome-foetus

Richard Dawkins: 'immoral' not to abort if foetus has Down's syndrome

Scientists says a mother has a responsibility to ‘abort it and try again’ if she knows her baby would have the disorder

The scientist Richard Dawkins has become embroiled in another Twitter row, claiming it would be “immoral” to carry on with a pregnancy if the mother knew the foetus had Down’s syndrome.

The British author made the comment in response to another user who said she would be faced with “a real ethical dilemma” if she became pregnant and learned that baby would be born with the disorder.

Dawkins tweeted: “Abort it and try again. It would be immoral to bring it into the world if you have the choice.”

He faced a backlash for his comment, with one mother, who has a child with the genetic condition, saying: “I would fight till my last breath for the life of my son. No dilemma.”

Dawkins later defended his view, saying he would not apologise “for approaching moral philosophic questions in a logical way”. He went on to point out that Down’s syndrome foetuses are aborted in many cases, and that abortion was a woman’s choice.

Some users supported the God Delusion author, agreeing with his assertion that there is a difference in deciding on a termination before a child is born, and suggesting after the child is born that it should have been aborted.

The Down’s Syndrome Association (DSA) issued a response to Dawkins’s initial comment. “People with Down’s Syndrome can and do live full and rewarding lives, they also make a valuable contribution to our society.

“At the Down’s Syndrome Association we do not believe Down’s syndrome in itself should be a reason for termination, however we realise that families must make their own choice.

“The DSA strives to ensure that all prospective parents are given accurate and up to date information about the condition and what life might be like today for someone with Down’s syndrome.”

Previously Dawkins has caused controversy on Twitter by saying the world’s Muslims had won fewer Nobel prizes than Trinity College Cambridge; and by arguing some types of rape or paedophilia are worse than others, then telling people who couldn’t understand his logic to “go away and learn how to think”.

Christ, read what he said in the tweets rather than what the press said.

90% of DS pregnancies in Europe are aborted, 75% in the US, he said he'd do the same. So why have a go at him in a hypothetical situation, would you have a go at the parents who made the decision to abort?

• Upvote 3

Christ, read what he said in the tweets rather than what the press said.

90% of DS pregnancies in Europe are aborted, 75% in the US, he said he'd do the same. So why have a go at him in a hypothetical situation, would you have a go at the parents who made the decision to abort?

I've read the tweets. My opinion hasn't changed. The fact you disagree confirms I was correct in this assumption.

I've read the tweets. My opinion hasn't changed. The fact you disagree confirms I was correct in this assumption.

Oh no, I feel bad that some internet cock doesn't like me. Might cut myself.

Back in the grown up world...he was asked what he'd do if he knew about DS in a pregnancy. He said he'd abort and try again, that HE felt it immoral to bring a baby into the world that was potentially very ill (I don't want to put words in his mouth but that's how the subsequent tweets read). At no point did he talk about forcing other parents to do the same. His position is vindicated because a huge majority of people actually in the situation do the same thing.

• Upvote 1

Indeed it is. I don't often agree with Christopher Hitchens,but he's a very good journalist and writer.

Also very funny when he's pissed and being interviewed. A fearsome debater who deffo doesn't suffer fools gladly.

At least he was when he was alive.

Back in the grown up world...he was asked what he'd do if he knew about DS in a pregnancy. He said he'd abort and try again, that HE felt it immoral to bring a baby into the world that was potentially very ill (I don't want to put words in his mouth but that's how the subsequent tweets read). At no point did he talk about forcing other parents to do the same. His position is vindicated because a huge majority of people actually in the situation do the same thing.

The majority hardly vindicates an opinion, we all have are our views. I understand the logic but I still believes he doesn't really get humanity.....a bit like Spock. Maybe he is just the next step on the evolutionary ladder!!

That doesn't mean I dislike you mind, I don't even know you.

So Dawkins wants to play god, pretty ironic really.