You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, why won't someone offer me out for a fight online?

I'll do it, I'm 'ard now I've turned 18.

Not outside KFC though, I hate chicken.

Surprisingly, that's the first threat I've received on here and the comments that provoked it dont even make it in my top 1000 most offensive things I've said.

Because my opinion needs to be forced on everyone else.

In all seriousness however.

Purslow is a fucking quality fella, he helped get rid oft the Yanks. He's just an all round legend.

Benitez on the other hand is sitting on a tv sofa on a Saturday hoping to be picked as manager by some.

Broughton took one look at Benitez and probably saw what a divisive figure he was.

cunt

Bascombe had an agenda against Benitez, but imo at least some of that was well justified. Benitez should not have been managing us anyway after last season - nothing to do with Bascombe, Purslow or Dale Winton. Bascombe has no axe to grind with Dalglish, and Dalglish would see him off in no time if he ever started.

Bascombe was going after Benitez well before last season. He seen his arse because Rafa took him out the loop when he went to the NOTW.

Every other week in the NOTW seemed to be another hatchet job against Benitez. He was slating him every week even when we finished 2nd. And then last season he took pleasure in the "senior players have lost faith in him" line.

What's Chris going to do now there's no one to stick the knife in? He'll have nothing to write about.

it's sad really that whilst loads dislike Bascombe and Purslow for their agenda against the Liverpool manager of the time - rather than the owners of the time - loads on here love them for the same reason.

Even atk said on this thread that he got on well with Bascombe partly because of their mutual loathing of Rafa Benitez.

Edited by ritchie

Purslow is a fucking quality fella, he helped get rid oft the Yanks. He's just an all round legend.

Benitez on the other hand is sitting on a tv sofa on a Saturday hoping to be picked as manager by some.

Broughton took one look at Benitez and probably saw what a divisive figure he was.

Purslow a bigger legend that Benitez? come on, Ant.

Purslow is a fucking quality fella and a legend.

But the bloke who managed us to a CL victory against Milan is merely "a divisive figure".

You're amazing. And by "amazing" what I actually mean is "a total cunt"

This forum is no worse for the amount of so called "Anti Benitez" posters then any other one, the difference here is they shout and abuse extremely loudly at every single opportunity and call a former successfull manager of ours a cunt, etc. Funny that for a footy forum called "The Liverpool Way" this minority couldn't be any further from The Liverpool Way if they tried. I can certainly say that Shanks would be spinning in his grave at the thought of a European Cup winning manager of ours been called some of the things he is called by some.

A very good example is the Benitez recent appearances on Football Focus. Most people didn't really care but said they'd watch this former manager interviewed out of an obvious interest anyway. Of course he said nothing really of any significant interest, and the only thing that really came out of it was a genuine and significant love of the club and the people. However, the small minority were mortally offended by the utter disgrace of this man having the temerity to comment on our club now he'd left, while laughably being delighted a few days later when the likes of Fowler is commenting on us. They come out with lines like "That cunt is gone so he should shut the fuck up about us and move the fuck on", only for a few days later to come out with lines like "ace, Fowler is on Sky", or "Did you here Thommo / Aldo / Rushy on TV earlier, fucking legend" and other such beauts of hypocritical nonsense.

There are a good few people on here who are very happy benitez is gone, but they carry themselves in an adult way and are able to criticise the former manager while absolutely accepting and appreciating his successes with us also, and while agreeing that he cocked up badly over the last season, are also able to see that he was certainly helped along the way by the worst owners imagineable.

Some can't though and will continue to spread the misinformation to make out Benitez did much more to damage the club then Hicks and Gillett, and that I have personally only seen on this forum, but it is by a small, but very loud minority.

They have a go at his every act like it was an act of treason. I remember someone on here making a post of how much of a disgrace it was that Benitez had the nerve to bring in the youth managers and have a go at them for poor performances while the senior team was in the middle of a bad run. There was silence on the thread initially, as I would imagine, like me, others were scratching there heads thinking "He's the manager and we've produced no youth talent in years, fucking right Benitez is giving them an earfull" yet to others who hated the man they now couldn't see beyond this hatred and were using anything to try and create an anti-Benitez slant while most were able to see it for what was.

I don't think it'll ever stop as there are some who are unable to see in any other colours then black and white, but, as I say, it is the same few names time and time again coming out with it, while the vast majority are able to see the positives of the tenure while also very aware of the negatives that, in the end, probably rightly cost him his job. The difference is we don't feel like we have to despise the man and call him every extremely abusive name under the sun to get across our point at almost every opportunity when the man is mentioned.

Great post

Purslow is a fucking quality fella and a legend.

But the bloke who managed us to a CL victory against Milan is merely "a divisive figure".

You're amazing. And by "amazing" what I actually mean is "a total cunt"

Ignore him, he's playing to a gallery.

Look.

As I said after it, it's pointless going into sensible conversation with 1,000 word posts. Because no matter what we say, or do. We will not agree on it.

Purslow is not a bigger legend than Benitez.

But Purslow is however, boss. Proper boss. Because he helped save the club. The leg.

Sweet baby Jesus and the orphans.

Out of Purslow and Benitez one is a Liverpool legend and the other one had his hand held by Broughton.

I will give you a clue one person was the manager when the club won the European Cup, FA Cup and its highest finish in years whilst the other person thought it was a good idea to appoint Roy Hodgson.

Look.

As I said after it, it's pointless going into sensible conversation with 1,000 word posts. Because no matter what we say, or do. We will not agree on it.

Purslow is not a bigger legend than Benitez.

But Purslow is however, boss. Proper boss. Because he helped save the club. The leg.

I agree on this. However, as you admit you will never change your views, could you therefore shut the fuck up about Benitez, rather than looking to put in a dig whenever you get the chance?

Thanks.

Sweet baby Jesus and the orphans.

Out of Purslow and Benitez one is a Liverpool legend and the other one had his hand held by Broughton.

I will give you a clue one person was the manager when the club won the European Cup, FA Cup and its highest finish in years whilst the other person thought it was a good idea to appoint Roy Hodgson.

Hand held by Broughton? Come on Coop, that is just silly. I would in fact say Broughton succeeded because of Purslow and Ayre. But it really doesn't matter, all 3 played a blinder to this club.

As for appointing a good/bad manager, well, Parry appointed Benitez didn't he? Does that mean we are going to forgive him for selling us down the river to C&A? Of course fucking not. Appointing a good manager is one thing but selling us down the river to a couple of cunts is totally a different thing and unforgivable.

On the other hand, Purslow made a very bad judgement call by going for Hodgson. But, in my opinion, he more than compensated for that by getting rid of the two cunts. It wouldn't have mattered if Purslow had got Mourinho or Hiddink or Capello or Kenny, if those 2 are in charge now, we will be fucked to the core.

I cannot forgive Parry, ever. I don't think I need to even blink before forgiving Purslow.

Having said all that, considering the kind of snake he was early on, I'm glad he is not at the club. But I will happily remember him for as long as I can if FSG turn out good and proper owners in the long term.

Bascombe was going after Benitez well before last season. He seen his arse because Rafa took him out the loop when he went to the NOTW.

Every other week in the NOTW seemed to be another hatchet job against Benitez. He was slating him every week even when we finished 2nd. And then last season he took pleasure in the "senior players have lost faith in him" line.

What's Chris going to do now there's no one to stick the knife in? He'll have nothing to write about.

it's sad really that whilst loads dislike Bascombe and Purslow for their agenda against the Liverpool manager of the time - rather than the owners of the time - loads on here love them for the same reason.

Even atk said on this thread that he got on well with Bascombe partly because of their mutual loathing of Rafa Benitez.

I don't know every reason why Bascombe took against Benitez, but I know it wasn't just because he had his nose pushed out. The rest of your post I agree with. It all comes down to whether you think Benitez was a positive or a malign influence on the club.

The role Purslow played alongside Broughton and Ayre in getting rid of Gillett and Hicks was more important than anything else of recent times, more important than Rafa's contract, more important than Hodgsons more important than anyone we have signed or sold. If those 3 hadn't played a blinder and we kept Gillet and Hicks I think we would be destroyed as a top level competitive club. We can already see the effects of those leeches on our club and how much time and money its going to take to fix.

Im in no doubt Purslow was crucial in helping save the club so for that regardless of how many decisions I think he got wrong, regardless of me being relieved that he has gone im going to refrain form calling him a cunt and slating him. Lifes too short onwards and upwards.

The role Purslow played alongside Broughton and Ayre in getting rid of Gillett and Hicks was more important than anything else of recent times, more important than Rafa's contract, more important than Hodgsons more important than anyone we have signed or sold. If those 3 hadn't played a blinder and we kept Gillet and Hicks I think we would be destroyed as a top level competitive club. We can already see the effects of those leeches on our club and how much time and money its going to take to fix.

Im in no doubt Purslow was crucial in helping save the club so for that regardless of how many decisions I think he got wrong, regardless of me being relieved that he has gone im going to refrain form calling him a cunt and slating him. Lifes too short onwards and upwards.

Ayre and Purslow were lobby fodder once Broughton was brought in.

The crucial, absolutely crucial, moment was when RBS put the owners' arms up their backs and forced Broughton upon them.

Broughton's terms were so solid that he knew that he could control the sale of the Club no matter what Hicks and Gillett said.

It can be said that Purslow and Ayre supported Broughton (and that would be fair and they should get recognition for that) but realistically what choice did they have?

By late Summer the Club was looking at one of three scenarios - sale, refinance or administration.

Broughton knew refinance was just delaying the implosion of the Club so he and the two other UK Directors took legal advice about voting against this on the terms put to them (again credit all round).

Once they had the legal advice then a sale was the only option - that happened to be to FSG and it was a given that the best offer had to be voted for by the UK Directors. Firstly, if they had not we might not have been sold and secondly the result of that would have been administration.

Broughton controlled the sale and at the end of the day Purslow or Ayre had little choice but to allow it through. If either had voted with the owners then they would have not been able to show their faces in Merseyside again.

Broughton's control of the Board's membership was the crucial factor as it allowed him to block the sacking of Ayre and Purslow - their support for no refinance and the sale to FSG, while creditable, was a no brainer.

Ayre and Purslow were lobby fodder once Broughton was brought in.

The crucial, absolutely crucial, moment was when RBS put the owners' arms up their backs and forced Broughton upon them.

Broughton's terms were so solid that he knew that he could control the sale of the Club no matter what Hicks and Gillett said.

It can be said that Purslow and Ayre supported Broughton (and that would be fair and they should get recognition for that) but realistically what choice did they have?

By late Summer the Club was looking at one of three scenarios - sale, refinance or administration.

Broughton knew refinance was just delaying the implosion of the Club so he and the two other UK Directors took legal advice about voting against this on the terms put to them (again credit all round).

Once they had the legal advice then a sale was the only option - that happened to be to FSG and it was a given that the best offer had to be voted for by the UK Directors. Firstly, if they had not we might not have been sold and secondly the result of that would have been administration.

Broughton controlled the sale and at the end of the day Purslow or Ayre had little choice but to allow it through. If either had voted with the owners then they would have not been able to show their faces in Merseyside again.

Broughton's control of the Board's membership was the crucial factor as it allowed him to block the sacking of Ayre and Purslow - their support for no refinance and the sale to FSG, while creditable, was a no brainer.

Which is all fair enough I just dont see the point in a continuing hate campaign. Its over and done with. I do think purslow is a genuine Liverpool fan and excluding his involvement with ousting the owners I think his role with the club was a poor one and he done more harm than good but why waste the energy going over it all. He may not of pioneered the ousting of the last owners but he played his role for me thats enough to just leave him alone, no abuse just consign him to history. Feels like the passion in football is mostly converted to hatred as opposed to anything else.