You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

You're getting negged for this. I've backed up my assertion that you were wrong, with stats.

Whilst the stats show that Skrtel is effective at winning headers 50-50s and tackles, compared to his contemporaries; what Code means is that if you look at the amount of times Skrtel goes in for headers or tackles, they are less frequent than other players. Which would statistically look like he either gives the opposition more space or doesn't read the game well enough to be in a position to make a challenge.

e.g. Mins per aerial 50-50s

Terry - 22.8

Vidic - 20.4

Agger - 31.1

Skrtel - 30.3

Kompany - 32.0

So Skrtel makes slightly more challenges in the air than Agger and Kompany, but compared to the best in Terry in Vidic he is a way behind. This is actualy Skrtel's best stat, when you start to look at the others:

Mins per ground 50-50s

Terry - 10.5

Vidic - 9.9

Agger - 10.9

Skrtel - 13.5

Kompany - 10.8

Mins per tackle

Terry - 41.7

Vidic - 42.1

Agger - 41.9

Skrtel - 74.3

Kompany - 34.0

Skrtel makes far fewer challenges and tackles than the other defenders - which would suggest he doesn't get in the right positions to make challenges.

However! It's a shame Carragher wasn't included as well really - and you'd also want to compare partnerships too. If Carra is making a similar number of challenges to Terry and Vidic, and Skrtel compares well with Ferdinand/Smalling and Alex/Luiz that would then suggest he is perhaps doing a decent job as the secondary defender.

'

This is my favourite paragraph. I think the same applies to Downing too.

Obviously the player needs to be good enough, but to also have that desire to maybe give a little bit extra when other players might not. It's a reason I love players like Kuyt so much.

The desire to play for Liverpool Football Club is paramount. Fuck mercenaries.

Theres no doubting its important to want to sign player's who want to play for us. But there seems to be this attitude with a significant amount of our fanbase that any player we want should dead set on us and only us and should never leave us.

Its madness and its not the real world. There are many players we have signed(and done very well for us) in the past who had been fluttering their eyelids at other clubs either before we signed them or a few years down the line.

You cannot base your transfer strategy on that because basically its impossible to guarantee any player will ever be that way. Some will stick for the long haul, others won't.

@John_W_Henry John can you tell me why the preseason game against Valencia, ticket prices are £18-£22 and £10 (cont) TwitLonger: @John_W_Henry John can you tell me why the preseason game against Valencia, ticket prices are £18-Â

3 hours ago

in reply to ↑

@John_W_Henry

John W. Henry

@Yeehaaman No. Call Tom Werner! Is it because Mata is playing?

@John_W_Henry

John W. Henry

Hopefully in our team Mr Henry...

For those posting and talking about stats, I've still got no further with this question, so if Code or anyone else can help, thanks loads : http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/102326-chance-creation-stats.html

Saw something in the Express yesterday comparing Nasri, Modric and Sneijder, that had all types of stats including chance creation and was done by Castrol Edge, but having checked their site those details weren't there. Some site will have to do it soon as it's a decent niche that'd get a lot of traffic I'd guess, seeing as there's hardly any competition, if any.

Follow up :

@John_W_Henry John W. Henry

@njny @Yeehaaman I was kidding about Tom. We don't know what drives friendly matches/econ etc. Still learning. Kidding around dangerous

Whilst the stats show that Skrtel is effective at winning headers 50-50s and tackles, compared to his contemporaries; what Code means is that if you look at the amount of times Skrtel goes in for headers or tackles, they are less frequent than other players. Which would statistically look like he either gives the opposition more space or doesn't read the game well enough to be in a position to make a challenge.

Terry - 22.8

Vidic - 20.4

Agger - 31.1

Skrtel - 30.3

Kompany - 32.0

So Skrtel makes slightly more challenges in the air than Agger and Kompany, but compared to the best in Terry in Vidic he is a way behind. This is actualy Skrtel's best stat, when you start to look at the others:

Mins per ground 50-50s

Terry - 10.5

Vidic - 9.9

Agger - 10.9

Skrtel - 13.5

Kompany - 10.8

Mins per tackle

Terry - 41.7

Vidic - 42.1

Agger - 41.9

Skrtel - 74.3

Kompany - 34.0

Skrtel makes far fewer challenges and tackles than the other defenders - which would suggest he doesn't get in the right positions to make challenges.

However! It's a shame Carragher wasn't included as well really - and you'd also want to compare partnerships too. If Carra is making a similar number of challenges to Terry and Vidic, and Skrtel compares well with Ferdinand/Smalling and Alex/Luiz that would then suggest he is perhaps doing a decent job as the secondary defender.

74.3 mins per tackle? That suggests that in all the minutes he played this season (and Skrtel played every minute) it would appear that opposition teams either don't challenge him much, or he makes a tackle towards the end of each game. Or Carragher accounts for a majority of tackles on forwards. That can't be right?

74.3 mins per tackle? That suggests that in all the minutes he played this season (and Skrtel played every minute) it would appear that opposition teams either don't challenge him much, or he makes a tackle towards the end of each game. Or Carragher accounts for a majority of tackles on forwards. That can't be right?

It would be good to have the Carragher figures too – looks at moof – but centre backs don’t actually tackle that often. Even John Terry only averages two tackles a match.

Skrtel’s low rates could be down to a number of things, poor positioning and reading of the play, team playing so deep that he is mainly called upon for blocks and headers, the midfield doing all the tackling and the defence not really being called upon, etc.

It would be good to have the Carragher figures too – looks at moof – but centre backs don’t actually tackle that often. Even John Terry only averages two tackles a match.

Skrtel’s low rates could be down to a number of things, poor positioning and reading of the play, team playing so deep that he is mainly called upon for blocks and headers, the midfield doing all the tackling and the defence not really being called upon, etc.

I can't remember the exact number, but Lucas made the most tackles for our team (and for the league). Not saying that he is solely responsible for Skrtel's low rates, but with Lucas breaking up the play in midfield, may give our CBs that much less work to do on the ground. It could just be, like you say, that Skrtel doesn't read the play well enough or fast enough.

I think statistics in football can be extremely misrepresentative. Not only can they be interpreted differently by different people in order to suit their agenda, they provide just a small glimpse into the actual contribution of a player. Over-reading and over-analysing statistics don't do justice to the intangibles of our game.

I think statistics in football can be extremely misrepresentative. Not only can they be interpreted differently by different people in order to suit their agenda, they provide just a small glimpse into the actual contribution of a player. Over-reading and over-analysing statistics don't do justice to the intangibles of our game.

Yeah I agree really. You have to look at the whole team and how it works. It's when you get some glaring example that I suppose it can be useful in winning arguments.

Terry - 22.8

Vidic - 20.4

Agger - 31.1

Skrtel - 30.3

Kompany - 32.0

Mins per ground 50-50s

Terry - 10.5

Vidic - 9.9

Agger - 10.9

Skrtel - 13.5

Kompany - 10.8

Mins per tackle

Terry - 41.7

Vidic - 42.1

Agger - 41.9

Skrtel - 74.3

Kompany - 34.0

It could just as well be that Skrtel read the game so good that he doesnt need to challenge that often. Stats can tell you what you want.

Exactly. Statistics can be used to give weight to any point.

87% of people know that.

Wor Horse is actually one of the better posters left on here right now.

The better posters engage with people they don't agree with, they don't just resort to telling them to 'fuck off'. You may agree with his views, but he isn't that good a poster at all in my view.

On topic: Mata quoted in the Mirror as being £15m rated. No chance!

Stats tell you whatever you want them to tell you. I fucking hate stats, you can do use stats to reach the conclusion that Lucas is a better midfielder than Xavi, if you spin them in a certain way.

Yeah, they can be used poorly. For example, 90% of Code's posts include stats, and they're all shit.

@John_W_Henry John can you tell me why the preseason game against Valencia, ticket prices are £18-£22 and £10 (cont) TwitLonger: @John_W_Henry John can you tell me why the preseason game against Valencia, ticket prices are £18-Â

3 hours ago

in reply to ↑

@John_W_Henry

John W. Henry

That's interesting, he also mentions Mata's official twitter account in a later tweet. Hmmm....

Totally agree.