You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Organ Donation - "Opt in" or "Opt out"?

Carradona

Would you be in favour of an "opt out" system?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in favour of an "opt out" system?

Speaking as someone who currently requires a kidney, I want whatever option gives me the best chance/odds of receiving an organ, which is 'opt out'. I Have experienced the joy of getting a kidney (1981) which lasted 18 years. ( yes they are not for life because your body eventually works out how to reject it) and I hav experienced the devastation of losing them, twice over. I am now back on dialysis for the last 13 years. I've heard numerous arguments for and against both options and agree that everone has the right to own their body and refuse automatic retrieval of organs but it works in several other countries where as a result their waiting lists are minimal. Unlike ours which are rising because of lack of donors, infact people who require organs are dying every day because of shortage.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Speaking as someone who currently requires a kidney, I want whatever option gives me the best chance/odds of receiving an organ, which is 'opt out'. I Have experienced the joy of getting a kidney (1981) which lasted 18 years. ( yes they are not for life because your body eventually works out how to reject it) and I hav experienced the devastation of losing them, twice over. I am now back on dialysis for the last 13 years. I've heard numerous arguments for and against both options and agree that everone has the right to own their body and refuse automatic retrieval of organs but it works in several other countries where as a result their waiting lists are minimal. Unlike ours which are rising because of lack of donors, infact people who require organs are dying every day because of shortage.

Firstly, I'm really sorry to hear that you're needing another kidney and that you're back on dialysis. I wish you the speediest of recoveries and hope you find a new organ soon.

You're right though: Many, many people are dead because they didn't get an organ. Something needs to be done and it needs to be done now. Personally, I don't think that's the opt-out system, but we need to dramatically improve the availability of organs.

I'm not opposed enough to the opt-out system that I'd protest against it, you do after all have the option of opting straight out. I just think it's the wrong way to approach it. We need to be pushing in other ways.

Been signed up as an Organ Donor for years now. I don't understand why people are against it, it's not as if you need the shit if you're dead. Saying that, I did say they could not have my eyes. Don't know why but I'm against any cunt having my sexy blue eyes.

They can have the rest though.

I think the opt out system would be better than the opt in system in place now. People who didn't want to donate their organs are more likely to opt out than for people who do to opt in. It's easier not to bother if it's not going to happen if you do nothing.

I have had a donor card since I was 16 butt I have taken my eyes off what they can have, don't ask me why just the thought of it I don't like, which is strange as I don't believe in life after death, reincarnation or any of that stuff.

• 6 years later...

Joined the organ donor register the other day.  Was renewing my driving licence online and they ask you if you want to join at the end of the process.  Thought may as well, can't take them with you.

Unless you're buried.

Or cremated.

There is no argument against "opt out". It is quite simply the right thing. The thought that a person could die with organs that could save someone else life when they would have happily offered their organs but never 'got around' to signing the organ donation register, is terrible. To the people at the start of this thread who didn't want their organs used, then just opt out. If you feel that strong about your organs after you've died and you have no use for them, then the onus should be on you to opt out.

I also said earlier in this thread that if you've opted out then you shouldn't get someone else's organs. I don't actually really believe that and can only assume I said it 6 years ago to get a reaction from the ones against "Opt out". However, I do think you are extremely selfish if you're against the policy.

There is no argument against "opt out". It is quite simply the right thing. The thought that a person could die with organs that could save someone else life when they would have happily offered their organs but never 'got around' to signing the organ donation register, is terrible. To the people at the start of this thread who didn't want their organs used, then just opt out. If you feel that strong about your organs after you've died and you have no use for them, then the onus should be on you to opt out.

I also said earlier in this thread that if you've opted out then you shouldn't get someone else's organs. I don't actually really believe that and can only assume I said it 6 years ago to get a reaction from the ones against "Opt out". However, I do think you are extremely selfish if you're against the policy.

Fuck 'em.

When you die it's not yours because there's no you.

I'd also make blood donation mandatory by lottery. People get picked randomly, a range of appointments offered and if you don't turn up you don't get a donated organ or blood.

Organ donation goes without saying. Blood donation has proved a bit more tricky over the years to the point where I've practically given up. I've been turned away from having taken a painkiller that week, having had acupuncture within the previous 6 months, being on medication, being iron deficient. Nearly always being iron deficient