You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Buying property in the UK from abroad

JagSquared

Not sure if this is right forum so mods, feel free to move it if needs be.

I have a relative who is looking to buy a very small flat on the south coast from a EU member country nothing fancy and they wouldn't require a mortgage.

What they asked me to do was to find out what legal stuff they need to do as they are foreign nationals to purchase a property and as this isn't something I am familiar with I thought I would open it up to the Forum to pitch in with ideas.

I tried to google it but I cant find what I'm looking for. Any advice would be great.

Not really anything unless you want to point them towards the sra webiste or moneylaundering leaflets.

They need to appoint a uk solicitor, have photo id, utility bills and maybe a letter from their employer and proof of funds. They either need to come over in person with the documentation or get things notarised their end and send it over.

Cheers, one final thing if he wanted to put this in his daughters name (she studies here) would that involve any payment of tax? Or can he simply gift / sell it to her for a nominal amount?

She can buy it, he can provide the money - again there will be money laundering checks. If she is a first time buyer she will avoid stamp duty too.

He needs tax advice and needs to decide whether it is a gift or a loan etc