You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

André Villas Boas (Manager)

Roger Hunt

Repped LOL

Your obviously right but if he joins we will need to sign the likes of Sanchez, Modric, Sanchez and Hazard to have any chance.

Putting the best players with the best coach is a recipe for huge success.

Villas Boas is a proven winner with a great CV to boot and I am sure he will be a huge success.

I am obviously making an assumption that he is going to be getting the best quality players available to go with what he already has.

How is one season proof that he is a proven winner?

How is one season proof that he is a proven winner?

He's got winner written all over him - it's the managers aura thing that leads to 'real' success as a manager. You can win a bit by being a tactical genius but I firmly believe the top man has to be a real motivational leader rather than his skills be all technical.

Got it:

Kenny

Fergie

Mourinho

AVB

Not got it

Wenger

Benitez

Ancellotti

Grant

I think you have explained yourself well, but I strongly disagree with some of your points.

For me, it isn't because I don't rate him, he looks like he will go on to be s top manager if his early career is anything to go by, but I think people are expecting him to just sail through. Part of becoming a great manager is dealing with dips. Ancelotti is a great manager but even though he turned it round, the midseason implosion was enough to see him lose his job a year after winning the double. That is what AVB is up against.

If kenny hadn't been around I would have been delighted with a punt on him, but luckily for us he was, and his record last season, with an inferior squad was impressive.

I look forward to next season and it will be interesting to see how AVB does. I hope he fails mind.

The point about having to deal with dips and testing times as a manager, I guess, you could apply to life, generally, to test someone's mettle.

However, I don't agree that this is a prerequisite to be a great manager or prove yourself to be one. Some managers can be that good that they don't encounter many difficult moments in their career due to preparation and organisation etc; and luck. Just like any professional. I don't think that should be used as a stick to beat them with or be a strike against them.

I don't think Bob Paisley experienced many dips or adverse times as a manger, he himself said the following:

"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second."

Does this detract from his achievements or standing in any way? No it doesn't. He is one of the greatest football managers of all time.

Some people often make the point that in order to see how good a Jose Mourinho or Wenger are, we should see them managing in the lower leagues in this country with those conditions and resources, for them to really test themselves. This point made by those people is a pretty moot and obsolete one.

*Andre Villas Boas did start off his career in difficult circumstances when he took over bottom of the table Academia in Portugal, couple of months into the season, from his cosy role at Inter Milan, and comfortably managed to stave off relegation and reach the semi-final of the Portuguese Cup as well.

This is why this guy impresses me so much - in his short career, he has excelled at both ends of the table with contrasting clubs, with contrasting resources and expectations. He has shown steel and courage, particularly at Academia.

To answer Jose Jones' question - he actually believes in Mourinho's defensive discipline and solidity, combined with a more attacking, expansive and fluid style of play. Hence, Porto scored goals galore last season, while maintaining an equally impressive defensive record.

You can check the following link to get an indication of the stats Porto racked up:

FC Porto 2010-2011 Home - statto.com

There are so many record breaking reasons why this guy is so impressive and is so highly rated within the game.

The guy is going to be absolutely sensational in the PL!

And some of you dinosaurs are going to regret wanting Kenny ahead of him:monkeytongue:

I think it's important to note that Kenny Dalglish has been more successful in English football than any manager in the job today, barring Ferguson.

Some concerns were initially raised about whether he still has it, but those were surely completely extinguished after the amazing turnaround in our performances he presided over last season; arresting a slump which had begun under Benitez and had been accelerated by Hodgson to the point where we looked more like relegation battlers than title contenders.

In Kenny's spell in charge last season, we were second only to Chelsea in form and results.

To argue that we have appointed the wrong man is therefore naive and churlish, without even taking into account the man's legendary status at our club and his perfect embodiment of the ideals and style which made us great.

I said earlier that some people just don't get it, and I stand by that: anyone arguing that we have appointed the wrong man simply does not understand this club or what Kenny can offer us.

There is certainly far less risk in appointing a man who has proved again and again that he can cut it in this league, including a great spell last season with one of our worst squads in living memory, over a flash in the pan who still has it all to prove, even after a single remarkable season in a foreign league.

The point about having to deal with dips and testing times as a manager, I guess, you could apply to life, generally, to test someone's mettle.

However, I don't agree that this is a prerequisite to be a great manager or prove yourself to be one. Some managers can be that good that they don't encounter many difficult moments in their career due to preparation and organisation etc; and luck. Just like any professional. I don't think that should be used as a stick to beat them with or be a strike against them.

I don't think Bob Paisley experienced many dips or adverse times as a manger, he himself said the following:

"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second."

Does this detract from his achievements or standing in any way? No it doesn't. He is one of the greatest football managers of all time.

Some people often make the point that in order to see how good a Jose Mourinho or Wenger are, we should see them managing in the lower leagues in this country with those conditions and resources, for them to really test themselves. This point made by those people is a pretty moot and obsolete one.

*Andre Villas Boas did start off his career in difficult circumstances when he took over bottom of the table Academia in Portugal, couple of months into the season, from his cosy role at Inter Milan, and comfortably managed to stave off relegation and reach the semi-final of the Portuguese Cup as well.

This is why this guy impresses me so much - in his short career, he has excelled at both ends of the table with contrasting clubs, with contrasting resources and expectations. He has shown steel and courage, particularly at Academia.

To answer Jose Jones' question - he actually believes in Mourinho's defensive discipline and solidity, combined with a more attacking, expansive and fluid style of play. Hence, Porto scored goals galore last season, while maintaining an equally impressive defensive record.

You can check the following link to get an indication of the stats Porto racked up:

FC Porto 2010-2011 Home - statto.com

There are so many record breaking reasons why this guy is so impressive and is so highly rated within the game.

And some of you dinosaurs are going to regret wanting Kenny ahead of him:monkeytongue:

And what's to say he'd even come here? You can call some of us dinosaurs but do you really think he'd choose us over Chelski? Would you have kept Woy on for another half a season? Would you have risked a relegation scrap? What would that do to our transfer targets this year?

Would Suarez have stayed? Would we have been active already or still looking to tie up AVB? Would we have even procured his signature. I think that dinosaur comment is a bit flippant. What Kenny did in half a season made it impossible for anyone else to be considered!

I don't think that is true at all. I think the great managers come past the difficult moments and make people forget them, because they come back as strong, or stronger. Obviously, what counts as difficult times is a relative thing, but all top managers have gone through rough patches. As you say, Boas has done well at both ends of the table, but it is too early to project that across a whole career.

He's got winner written all over him - it's the managers aura thing that leads to 'real' success as a manager. You can win a bit by being a tactical genius but I firmly believe the top man has to be a real motivational leader rather than his skills be all technical.

Got it:

Kenny

Fergie

Mourinho

AVB

Not got it

Wenger

Benitez

Ancellotti

Grant

You've got Avram Grant in a list that also inhcludes Benitez and Ancellotti, who have won three European Cups and a variety of domestic titles and cups between them.

For that reason, I am going to neg you into spastication.

I am really wondering about the sanity of some liverpool supporters on here. The thought of saying that we have missed out on this lad is just ridiculous. We have King Kenny FFS. I would never swap him for anyone as he is the best man as our manager. Yeah this lad looks like he has all the attributes to be a top coach but it remains to be seen what he will amount to. Get a fuckin grip lads. Kenny has turned this club around and I for one am ecstatic that we are going into a new season with Kenny as our manager.

up yours bumface.

You love it.

In all seriousness Hugo; it's best not to consider a neg personal. You don't seem to be taking into account Kenny's record or legend at all though; however valid your arguments for Villas Boas may or may not be. Maybe something to have a think about. He is not called the King for no reason and has fully earned all of our undying respect and faith.

Wenger and Rafa had it and have lost it Rafa since his Ego fell out with Pako but to write off Ancellotti after one season and no support from the directors of the club the season after doing the double is damin stupid

And to put Grant in there in mindblowing to say the least

My point still stands a winner is a winner, doesnt matter if its one season or several, its pretty clear he has what it takes, winning the Europa league with the Porto team was a brilliant achievement

Obsequious to the point of nausea. Negged.

You love it.

In all seriousness Hugo; it's best not to consider a neg personal. You don't seem to be taking into account Kenny's record or legend at all though; however valid your arguments for Villas Boas may or may not be. Maybe something to have a think about. He is not called the King for no reason.

If you read my previous posts on this thread, I think you'll find I do. I have the same feelings towards the King as you. I also rate him highly as a manager.

But if I was open to someone else as manager, that doesn't mean I'm disrespecting Kenny or undermining him personally or diminishing his legend status, though, does it mate?

However, I don't think "legend" status per say should play a part in appointing a manger. In Kenny's case, he obviously has the ability to match.

Most of them don't, though.

If you read my previous posts on this thread, I think you'll find I do. I have the same feelings towards the King as you. I also rate him highly as a manager.

But if I was open to someone else as manager, that doesn't mean I'm disrespecting Kenny or undermining him personally or diminishing his legend status, though, does it mate?

However, I don't think "legend" status per say should play a part in appointing a manger. In Kenny's case, he obviously has the ability to match.

Most of them don't, though.

Perhaps I should have read back further before negging, but I'm not really that interested in who is Chelsea manager so only stumbled on the thread this morning and skim-read it.

The point I made above in my longer post, is that Kenny is better qualified for this job than AVB. Did you read that post?

Also, the point about bringing back a club legend is that he will offer us something Villas Boas can't possibly offer.

FSG, Comolli and Borrell have all talked about recapturing the "Liverpool DNA" and playing in the style the club made famous, just like clubs such as Bayern, Barcelona and even (spit) the Mancs do.

Is there honestly anyone better qualified to return us to the blueprint which people recognise as The Liverpool Way, both on and off the pitch?

I don't believe there is, and when you also grock the fact that there is no-one more successful than him in this league who we could appoint, then I simply don't understand why anyone would want it another way.

The point I made above in my longer post, is that Kenny is better qualified for this job than AVB. Did you read that post?

Also, the point about bringing back a club legend is that he will offer us something Villas Boas can't possibly offer.

This is all very true for now, however for all his legendry status its the teams performance on the pitch with the resources at his disposal that will decide if he is a success in his role.

What one can say is that Kenny got the job because of the brilliant job he did on the pitch last season with shit resources

Guest Numero Veinticinco
You've got Avram Grant in a list that also inhcludes Benitez and Ancellotti, who have won three European Cups and a variety of domestic titles and cups between them.

For that reason, I am going to neg you into spastication.

Quite right, too.

Wenger: 3 Premierships, including the only ever team to win the league unbeaten. 4 F.A Cups.

Benitez: 1 European Cup, which just happened to be the best final ever. 1 F.A. Cup, which just happened to be the best final ever. 1 UEFA Cup. 2 League titles.

Ancellotti: 2 European Cups, 1 Premier League, 1 Serie A, 1 FA Cup.

And these people aren't winners or haven't 'got it'. Fairly bizarre, to be honest.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Kenny: four league titles and two FA Cups.

To be fair, he didn't include Kenny on the list of people who haven't got it, so there was no need for me to defend him.

Quite right, too.

Wenger: 3 Premierships, including the only ever team to win the league unbeaten. 4 F.A Cups.

Benitez: 1 European Cup, which just happened to be the best final ever. 1 F.A. Cup, which just happened to be the best final ever. 1 UEFA Cup. 2 League titles.

Ancellotti: 2 European Cups, 1 Premier League, 1 Serie A, 1 FA Cup.

And these people aren't winners or haven't 'got it'. Fairly bizarre, to be honest.

I had to read it twice to make sure it wasn't some kind of elaborate, if unfunny, joke.

But no. He's just a giant spazmo.

To be fair, he didn't include Kenny on the list of people who haven't got it, so there was no need for me to defend him.

I know, but some people seem to have forgotten his record. Just thought I'd better make sure.

Should have included that Kenny also built the best team ever to play in this league though.