You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

André Villas Boas (Manager)

Roger Hunt

I think he is more knowledgeable and tactically astute than Ferguson, for example. He also has excellent man-management skills. I don't think he has got the hunger of a Ferguson though. Ferguson will go down as an all time great, however distasteful that may sound. I think Hiddink is more talented than Ferguson in purely footballing terms. But obviously other factors come into it such as personal attributes (hunger, desire, ambition etc) and this is where he falls short. So, in that sense I think you are correct - and of course being a great manager isn't just about one or two attributes - but, I think he has got the natural talent, knowledge and tactical acumen to have achieved truly great things. I think winning the European Cup with PSV in 1988, their only E Cup triumph (albeit on penalties), and securing the treble in the process, is indicative of this.

Due to personality flaws and choices, he hasn't achieved what his ability warrants and what some inferior managers have.

I guess, you could also say this about plenty of footballers who had the talent to be truly great and remembered as such, but fell short in the personality aspect.

We did catch a glimpse of what Hiddink could do in his short spell as Chelsea manager, when he was able to make an instant impact, galvanize and unite the players.

In years gone by, I would've been happy with him as LFC manager; but he would only have been a short term option, as he could've done great things over a period of 3 years; but don't think he has the will to do this for 5-10 years.

I guess, to prove yourself as an all time great, longevity or sustained period of success at a club is also important. This is where he falls short and I think associating the word "potentially" is fair.

I think his talent is beyond doubt, though.

"Natural talent"? He's a fucking manager not a striker.

Oh, the wasted potential of the "naturally talented" manager Guus Hiddink!

What a fucking football tragedy!

Oh, if only the 64 year old manager had allowed his natural talent to blossom! What a managerial story it could have been!

"Ahhh, Guus Hiddink. What a talent. I first saw him manage when he was....what was it? 50? 55? Even then you could see what a natural talent he had. He was just.....gifted, even at that early age"

Begun under Benítez? Did you not mean under G&H?

It didn't begin until the season before last, but they certainly didn't help his cause by messing him around with transfers. My only point though was that the slump had been in progress for eighteen months when Kenny arrived. If you want to make that into an argument about Rafa you will have to have it by yourself because I'm not interested.

what if he win,s nothnig next season will he be sacked? would not put it passed abrmovich. bad choice should have stayed at porto for another season. the sky wankfest will follow

He certainly should be. Ancelotti won the league first year and only lost out this yearbecause the Russian interfered horribly. If Boas fails to land one of the big two next season despite the amount of money Chelsea have had lavished on them, he's failed to step up into the true big time and questions would asked if he is even capable.

Oh yes it did, it just didn't become apparent before then.

So we were mid-slump when we finished second playing the best football he had us playing in his reign?

I am talking about a slump on the pitch and being entirely factual. I reckon you just want a fight. Again.

Seriously, this is my last post on the subject. I am totally uninterested in whether or not Rafa was the messiah.

Have fun.

It was going to be my last post but I am not going to let your vicious implication stand.

I have spent years making my feelings known about Hicks and Gillette; on this forum, by email, by written letter, by supporting SOS, by boycotting merchandise and by boycotting games. I really can't be arsed getting involved in your pathetic attempts to start a row. From this point on you are on ignore, because this is the second time you have tried to do this and even though we sorted it out by PM last time, I have not got the time, energy or inclination to go through it all again.

Kindly fuck off and crawl up your own hole.

It was going to be my last post but I am not going to let your vicious implication stand.

I have spent years making my feelings known about Hicks and Gillette; on this forum, by email, by written letter, by supporting SOS, by boycotting merchandise and by boycotting games. I really can't be arsed getting involved in your pathetic attempts to start a row. From this point on you are on ignore, because this is the second time you have tried to do this and even though we sorted it out by PM last time, I have not got the time, energy or inclination to go through it all again.

Dont let the barstards grind you down, most importantly I and all good Reds on this site know how much you care and how much you stood up for the club om hard times for us all

Just leave the petty childish kids to play their own games and alas this is what happens when you leave the safe haven of the MF

Thanks for the kind words.

Like I said, by then the club was in a slump, not the team. Later on, it did get worse for the team as well.

I don't know who this cunt thinks he is or what his problem is with me but from now on I don't have to read the crochety bastards posts which is something at least.

My problem with you is that you convey the notion that Benítez was our biggest problem without even mentioning the conditions he was working under.

It's fucking horseshit.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Like I said, by then the club was in a slump, not the team. Later on, it did get worse for the team as well.

Obviously I don't know about any history between you two, but I don't see what is remotely controversial about that, or anything else you've said on the subject. I think transfer time is driving Zig, like many of us, right 'round the bend.

Obviously I don't know about any history between you two, but I don't see what is remotely controversial about that, or anything else you've said on the subject. I think transfer time is driving Zig, like many of us, right 'round the bend.

Captain wants to equate some imaginary position he thinks I am taking on Rafa with some idea he has that I thought he was worse than Hicks and Gillett. It's an extremely poor form of ad hominem argument and he has got history with me on it, and I won't stand for his uncalled-for bullshit needling, especially after we had a discussion about it by PM last time when I had thought it was resolved. I apologise to everyone else on the forum for blowing my top but not to Captain because he got what he wanted out of it.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I'm out.

Although, I do have a slim and stumpy sausage that you can nibble on. I'll provide the mayo.

Captain wants to equate some imaginary position he thinks I am taking on Rafa with some idea he has that I thought he was worse than Hicks and Gillett.

Not quite. I can only rely to what you write, not what you think. As quoted above.

If you want to go on about how we regressed under Benítez, feel free. Just don't expect me not to pull you up on your failure to mention the circumstances of that regression.

Dont talk bollocks.

He's completely rebuilt the squad that Rijkaard gave him and built a team around players that Rijkaard didnt build a team around.

correct but Rijkaard completely lost his way with the side once Ten Cate left, Guardiola already had the tools there but fair play to him for utilising them to beyond anyones expectations but it still remains to be seen whether he could even compare to that starting of with a squad including the likes of Darren Fletcher and Michael Carrick rather than Xavi and Iniesta, albeit I hope we never find out

What do you mean?

Chelsea, steered to the title by Ancelotti the year prior, were comfortably leading the league when Abramovich decides that he wants to change the backroom staff. Chelsea then go on a diabolical run and surrender the title. They get back on track around mid-January and are actually the best team in the league from then until the finish, despite having another Abramovich folly foisted upon them.

They were actually the best team for most of the season, certainly the mos consistent. Their bad run was just -that- bad. If Boas is as good as everyone says and indeed wants to be in a job this time next year, a league or European Cup has to be the minimum requirement.

If he doesnt win a trophy - does he get the sack??

what a bunch of idiots!! they really are at the mercy of one bloke and his knob throbbing moods. if hes not getting any (im presuming) all hell breaks loose on the club. If he fancies a player he undermines everyone to bring his new favourite rent boy in. Tbh it doesnt really matter what arsenal villa boatista does - its all about whether abramovich is in the mood.