You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

André Villas Boas (Manager)

Roger Hunt

Roman has a track record of sacking managers whenever they fail to meet whatever target he sets (I assume the target is always the European Cup for him). Surely everyone knows that when the fair play rules come into force and spending will have to be controlled, he'll axe the manager if Roman doesn't get his beloved European Cup? He selects the players he wants to buy, and then buys them - Torres, for example. Who knows who else he's already bought BEFORE Villas Boas takes the helm.

So what's in it for any manager who comes to Chelsea? Will he get a say in who he wants to buy/sell? Will he get the time to accomplish something? Managers with better CVs than AVB have been sacked, even when they've been successful.

Chelsea, steered to the title by Ancelotti the year prior, were comfortably leading the league when Abramovich decides that he wants to change the backroom staff. Chelsea then go on a diabolical run and surrender the title. They get back on track around mid-January and are actually the best team in the league from then until the finish, despite having another Abramovich folly foisted upon them.

They were actually the best team for most of the season, certainly the mos consistent. Their bad run was just -that- bad. If Boas is as good as everyone says and indeed wants to be in a job this time next year, a league or European Cup has to be the minimum requirement.

I'm not sure that you can really heap all of the blame for that appalling 3 month period to mid-Jan on the sacking of Ray Wilkins.

I'm not sure that you can really heap all of the blame for that appalling 3 month period to mid-Jan on the sacking of Ray Wilkins.

Don't need to though. At that level all you need is to lose couple of games and the vultures will be out to pile up the pressure. And I genuinely believe Roman was the catalyst last season.

No you can't, but you could very well argue that it undermined Ancelotti in the eyes of the fans and especially his players when Abramovich imposed it on him and he did nothing to fight it, even though he was clearly unhappy. From that point onward he was still walking, but becoming ever more corpse-like.

No you can't, but you could very well argue that it undermined Ancelotti in the eyes of the fans and especially his players when Abramovich imposed it on him and he did nothing to fight it, even though he was clearly unhappy. From that point onward he was still walking, but becoming ever more corpse-like.

But how does that explain the fantastic run of form post Mid-Jan to March?

Great move from Chelsea, shit move from AVB. I give it 2 years before he's off for not winning the CL.

For his sake i hope that when he's inevitably sacked on Roman's whim he'll still have enough reputation left to keep his career on track and manage another top club like Mourinho, unlike, say, Ancelotti who's reputation now seems to be in tatters and he's touted for jobs like Villa.

Great move from Chelsea, shit move from AVB. I give it 2 years before he's off for not winning the CL.

For his sake i hope that when he's inevitably sacked on Roman's whim he'll still have enough reputation left to keep his career on track and manage another top club like Mourinho, unlike, say, Ancelotti who's reputation now seems to be in tatters and he's touted for jobs like Villa.

I don't see how you can argue both of those. If he gets booted after not winning, how was it a great move for Chelsea?

Unbelievable if Ancelotti can't get another top job, I'd expect him to go to Inter once Leonardo goes to PSG

Don't know if Ancelotti can (or wants to) go to Inter after having been a player and manager at Milan. Maybe the Italians are different where inter city rivalries are concerned. Would have liked to see him stay in the Prem though. Class act.

I think AVB wins both ways. If he isn't successful the first year, well we can chalk that up to players, ownership, new system bedding in. If he wins a trophy, even if it isn't the most coveted, he's a genius, The Chosen One.

I don't see how you can argue both of those. If he gets booted after not winning, how was it a great move for Chelsea?

Because Roman's expectations are ridiculous and he meddles in the manager's job. AVB can do a very good job there and still get booted, that's what Chelsea do after all. In the next 2 seasons he can win the Prem, the Carling Cup and the 2 FA Cups and still get booted i reckon.

In 2 seasons Ancelotti won the double & 2nd place finish. Not bad by any means. Yet now his stock is shot to shit to the level where he's taken a year off because he has no job offers from big clubs.

Don't know if Ancelotti can (or wants to) go to Inter after having been a player and manager at Milan. Maybe the Italians are different where inter city rivalries are concerned. Would have liked to see him stay in the Prem though. Class act.

Lots more transfers with players and managers moving from rival clubs happen in Italy

Once it became obvious Chelsea were going to sack him he was my second choice for our job after Kenny

I would have thought Ancelotti as a suitable manager as well for any premier league team. I'm was so happy (and relieved) when we finally signed Kenny though. Seeing him walk out at Old Trafford for his first game had me close to tears. Someone who knows our system, has winning experience both as a player and a manager and, well, he's the King. AVB has a long loooong way to go before he reaches the dizzy heights of a Dalglish or an Ancelotti, in my opinion - and for someone who never played the game? Whether he can do it with Chelsea (and if he gets all three years to do it) remains to be seen.

Didn't Ancelotti say he's choosing to take a year out? Maybe a more cynical mind might say that's not entirely his choice, but I'm sure he could walk into another top job should he choose to if one became available.

For instance, while we have Kenny now, if we were still looking for a manager I'd take him in an instant.

Look at Real Madrid - Del Bosque is now a World Cup winner, Capello is probably the highest paid manager in world football (any FA twattery aside, his still-intact reputation helped command it), Pellegrini was wanted by many (myself included) in the period between Rafa's sacking and Kenny's appointment, and now has a job with a well funded upwardly mobile La Liga outfit. Them getting the sack said more about Real Madrid than it did them, and Chelsea are basically the English equivalent of them these days when it comes to sacking managers.

My problem with you is that you convey the notion that Benítez was our biggest problem without even mentioning the conditions he was working under.

It's fucking horseshit.

Who cares if he was the biggest problem or not, the main thing is that he was a problem and that he wasted the transfer funds he actually got on mostly horseshite the last three seasons.

Rafa was a problem and he had to go, learn to live with it.

I think AVB wins both ways. If he isn't successful the first year, well we can chalk that up to players, ownership, new system bedding in. If he wins a trophy, even if it isn't the most coveted, he's a genius, The Chosen One.

I see what you did there.