You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kenny Huang linked to Liverpool takeover

Wor Horse

If somebody else wouldn't mind doing the thinking for me please, I have a question - is there any difference between this Guang fella and Franklin Templeton distancing themselves from the bid now, and CIC distancing themselves from the bid yesterday? Or is it essentially the same thing i.e. Huang is gonna be in charge of a separate company which is buying the club, funded by these guys in the background, which is why they can deny any involvement

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I'm actually pretty bored of it. I enjoyed the football yesterday, I'm liking the look of the squad (to a point) and all this back and forth is starting to make me yawn.

Been through this shit too many times to worry about every little thing. Huang is either backed by people that are rich as fuck, or he's a fucking shit head. Broughton will find out, and we'll either be in the money or not be missing out on much because he's a twat.

I'll only be checking this thread a couple of times a day from now on. Glad I've missed most of today.

If somebody else wouldn't mind doing the thinking for me please, I have a question - is there any difference between this Guang fella and Franklin Templeton distancing themselves from the bid now, and CIC distancing themselves from the bid yesterday? Or is it essentially the same thing i.e. Huang is gonna be in charge of a separate company which is buying the club, funded by these guys in the background, which is why they can deny any involvement

That was my first thought as well.

What I cling to is the knowledge that two reds Barrett and Evans - who have been bitten before and are therefore extremely chary of being bitten again - went with the story only after much double and triple-checking. Everyone's fallible, of course, but I really doubt, after all that's gone on in the past, Evans and Co would have risked any more dejection by gambling on this.

I don't think they did at all.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

''to summarise, the big-shot US investment firm Huang's US partner claimed was raising the cash has denied any involvement in bid.''

Instead of going for Huang are the PR team now going for Ganis by discrediting what he said earlier.

Just a word to the wise Ganis, Hicks and Gillett have previous and its safe to say they are not friends and our two owners would hate to see him involved with anything to do with the club.

Paul Kelso on Twitter:

Twitter / Paul Kelso: Breaking Huang #LFC latest ...

Breaking Huang #LFC latest: Franklin Templeton Investments has no involvement in Liverpool FC bid and Guang Yang has no involvement.”

I give up trying to work out what's going on ...

To be fair, Marc Ganis never said that Franklin Templeton Investments were involved, he only said that Guang Yang (who is involved with FTI) was... The FTI-link wast started by "ITK's" at RAWK, and it may well be conjecture (a simple google search would provide the Huang --> Yang --> FTI connection).

It seems unlikely that QSL Sports Limited would bid for the club without Yang (who is their co-manager) being involved...

Instead of going for Huang are the PR team now going for Ganis by discrediting what he said earlier.

Just a word to the wise Ganis, Hicks and Gillett have previous and its safe to say they are not friends and our two owners would hate to see him involved with anything to do with the club.

Wasn't aware of this. Any idea what happened?

Proposed Chinese takeover of Liverpool FC 'would not involve direct government ownership'

Aug 6 2010

Kenny Huang

The proposed takeover of Liverpool by a Chinese consortium would not involve direct ownership by the country’s government, although they may have a passive role in the organisation, it has been claimed.

More details of the bid fronted by Hong Kong-based businessman Kenny Huang have come to light after it was revealed the Chinese investors are being assisted by Chicago-based company Sportscorp.

The consortium have yet to table a bid, although Liverpool have now requested all parties prove by next week they have the money to back up their interest, but appear to be in pole position to replace American duo Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

If successful Huang and Guang Yang, executive vice-president of Franklin Templeton Investments and chief investment officer of the China Life/Franklin Templeton Fund, would be in charge of a limited liability corporation in control of Liverpool.

Other investors, including China Investment Corp - the country’s sovereign wealth fund - would be passive with no more than a 20% share.

The Chinese bid has four major aims: to leave Liverpool debt-free; make significant investment and construct the long-awaited new stadium in Stanley Park; provide a considerable sum for transfers and expand more actively into the Asian market.

However, those behind the plan - the broad details of which have already been submitted to Liverpool chairman Martin Broughton and Barclays Capital, who are running the sale of the club - insist their offer would not be financially beneficial to Hicks and Gillett.

“future and nWhat is not one of our goals is the enrichment of the existing owners,” said head of Sportscorp Marc Ganis, who suggested should the takeover be successful there would not be widespread change behind the scenes at Anfield.

“If we submit a proposal and it is accepted, it would be focused on the ot the past.”

Cutting through the spin at Liverpool

Post categories: Football

David Bond | 17:46 UK time, Friday, 6 August 2010

More details emerged on Friday of the potential bid for Liverpool being lined up by Hong Kong businessman Kenneth Huang.

Although no formal offer has yet been made, it is understood the total value of the deal that has been put together by Huang and his backers is £450m. This includes around £300m to pay off Liverpool's debts and £150m to start paying for the construction of a new stadium and bring in players.

This is significant for two reasons.

Firstly, it demonstrates that Huang is not prepared to pay American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett a premium for selling the club. He is only prepared to pay off the debts they have run up.

Now, getting an accurate figure for the current level of debt is difficult. But what we do know is that Royal Bank of Scotland is owed £237m and that there are other borrowings outstanding on top of that.

It is also known that, according to the most recent accounts, Hicks and Gillett invested around £144m in guaranteeing loans, as well as the stalled stadium project and playing squad.

However, as things currently stand, if Huang's bid is successful, Hicks and Gillett would receive no profit for their three years as owners at Liverpool - a fact that will delight the majority of fans bitterly opposed to their debt-financed takeover and ownership of the club.

The second interesting thing to note is the relatively modest amount set aside by Huang for the stadium redevelopment and for new players.

The estimated cost of the club's new ground at Stanley Park was around £350m at the time it was put on hold in 2009, with Hicks and Gillett unable to raise the money to complete the project. Apart from some site clearance and initial preparations, no major work has been done.

Exactly how much of the £150m is to be set aside for the stadium by Huang is unclear but even if it was the full amount it would clearly be insufficient to pay for the modern home Liverpool need to compete with the best in the Premier League.

As for the money left over for the team, even if that £150m was split into two equal chunks it is hardly the sort of transfer kitty that would transform Roy Hodgson's team overnight.

Nevertheless Huang sees this as just the start. It is understood that he and his backers plan to raise more money for the stadium and the team if and when they secure the club.

It also emerged on Friday that Huang is not the only Chinese businessman leading the bid for Liverpool. Guang Yang, the vice president of investment bank Franklin Templeton Investments, is working with Huang as the joint head of QSL Sports Limited - the vehicle which would own Liverpool if the bid was successful.

The pair are also working with Marc Ganis, whose Chicago-based company Sportscorp Ltd has helped form the offer being put together to buy Liverpool.

Ganis was quoted as saying that a "formal proposal" for Liverpool had not yet been submitted but that the "broad parameters" of a deal had been outlined to the man handling the sale, club chairman Martin Broughton, on Monday.

He also cleared up some of the confusion surrounding the possible involvement of the Chinese government by revealing that the China Investment Corporation (CIC) - the communist state's main sovereign wealth fund and one of the richest of its kind in the world - could become a passive investor but would have no direct control.

That contradicted newspaper reports on Thursday that the Chinese government was the mystery financier behind the bid for Liverpool.

Sources have confirmed again to me that CIC currently have no direct involvement in the Huang deal but could come on board later on - perhaps to help provide some of the finance for the new stadium.

Having said all that, it is hard to imagine that Huang and Yang have not sought the support of the Chinese government in their venture, even if it isn't providing hard cash.

So what happens now?

Broughton and Barclays Capital will examine the funding of those parties who have expressed an interest next week ahead of choosing a preferred bidder by next Friday. Whoever that is will then need to carry out due diligence on the club's books and finalise a deal. Broughton's aim is to complete a transaction by the end of the month.

A spokesman for Syrian/Canadian businessman Yahya Kirdi claimed on Thursday that a deal with Hicks and Gillett was close to being agreed. But at this stage he is not being treated as a serious bidder by Broughton. It is also mystifying as to why Kirdi would go direct to Hicks and Gillett if, as they themselves claimed in April, they were responsible for the British Airways chairman's appointment.

The Al Kharafi family of Kuwait has denied it is preparing a bid but has expressed an interest in the past, as has the New York based Rhone Group.

The situation is so opaque and there are so many spinners and agendas involved that it is impossible to predict with any certainty who might end up owning Liverpool. But all the jostling for position at least shows there is interest and that Hicks and Gillett's misadventure in English football could soon be nearing the end.

Wasn't aware of this. Any idea what happened?

None here but it seems that all Huang has found himself a group of people that know the takeover business, as well as have an axe to grind with C n A. I for one think that's good enough reason to support their bid...

I also happen to believe they will be MUCH improved owners, but not make Liverpool a 'vanity purchase' and we will be in the place we have been seeking all along. Call me an optimist, but that's just my gut feeling...

And this stuff about Yang and FTI is either spin from C n A or its just like CIC and they will be in the background and can therefore plausibly deny involvement...