You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kenny Huang linked to Liverpool takeover

Wor Horse

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest davelfc

Well who would have guessed at the startling news that broke this afternoon concerning the sale of the club.

It appears that wh

Kenny Huang is G+H mark two. He may be able to raise money to but the club and a small amount for transfers but he cannot raise the money for the stadium. That would requrie separate loans and saddle the club with debt again.

Pass me the noose.....

Guest davelfc
Kenny Huang is G+H mark two. He may be able to raise money to but the club and a small amount for transfers but he cannot raise the money for the stadium. That would requrie separate loans and saddle the club with debt again.

Pass me the noose.....

And you KNOW this how?

Pass me the noose.....

You, just like everyone else, knows fuck all so stop embarrassing yourself.

Don't know about dodgy Ted as the impression i get is Canis is well respected in America and has plenty of experience in the Sports world through stadium builds and buying/selling clubs.

Who knows whats going off Ted and your right to be suspicous as we have already been done once with the current owners.

One thing to note though is the fact the media are targetting Huang and who is backers are.

Does it not seem strange that Kirdi has had a free ride so far yet he made claims of backers from the Middle East and Canada.

So who are these backers then and why are the media not trying to find out.

Anyone would think that most of the media are getting their information from one place.

Could this be because Huang is a media whore & Kirdi signed a confidentiality agreement? (Huang didn't)

Pass me the noose.....

The new stadium should be funded by the club & sponsorship/naming rights, and not from a consortium or individual.

I would expect new owners to use their own monies to buy the club, but not to build the new stadium.

Pass me the noose.....

i have no problem with the club having to take out a loan to pay for a new stadium,part of the cost will be offset anyway with naming rights.

The new stadium should be funded by the club & sponsorship/naming rights, and not from a consortium or individual.

I would expect new owners to use their own monies to buy the club, but not to build the new stadium.

Completely agree with this.... its us fans who want the stad, so its us fans who should pay for it, although you could say we've already paid for it over the years.

Edited by birkenhead

Trophy status wanes as Liverpool’s owners walk alone

By Mark Kleinman

Published: August 7 2010 05:36 | Last updated: August 7 2010 05:36

Football matches do not tend to go into extra time before they even kick off. But as the Premier League prepares for the beginning of another season, the owners of Liverpool FC might have to extend their four-month auction if they are to secure a long-awaited exit.

For American businessmen Tom Hicks and George Gillett, the final whistle on their three and-a-half year tenure at Anfield cannot come soon enough. Despised by supporters and without the financial firepower to compete with Roman Abramovich-backed Chelsea, they have realised too late the dystopian nature of the sport’s economics.

Ahead of next week’s deadline for bidders to prove their ability to finance a takeover, the auction remains shrouded in a greater degree of counter-claim than a football transfer window.

With China Investment Corporation distancing itself from any interest in controlling Liverpool, and purported bidders from Dubai, India and the US failing to materialise, the list of firm offerors fielded by Barclays Capital may end up resembling a substitutes’ bench rather than a starting eleven.

The recent history of football club ownership underlines why. Even for a globally famous name such as Liverpool, an enormous Asian fan base has yet to be translated into hard cash that can be earmarked for building either a new stadium or on-pitch success. Jumps in broadcasting revenues during previous television rights auctions have largely been directed into star players’ pockets through wage hyper-inflation.

Nevertheless, some bidders appear undeterred. One prospective investor is a member of the ruling family of Sharjah, the Emirate that borders Dubai. Internationally less well-known than trophy-hunting neighbours such as Abu Dhabi and Qatar, Sharjah has little public record of overseas investments.

People close to the situation suggest that its interest in Liverpool may be being channelled through an acquisition vehicle formed by Yahya Kirdi, a Syrian who claims to have backing from investors in Canada and the Middle East.

The Rhone Group, a New York-based private equity firm, Kuwait’s al-Kharafi family and Kenny Huang, a mysterious Hong Kong-based businessman to whom CIC’s funds were linked this week, may also yet submit offers. Sahara Group, an Indian conglomerate controlled by Subrata Roy, is also in talks with the club. Yet it is hardly the blue-chip list of names the owners would have desired; and it is not only Mr Hicks and Mr Gillett who have a lot riding on the outcome. The reputation of Martin Broughton, the Liverpool (and British Airways) chairman brought in to oversee the sale, is also at stake. People close to him say he would rather veto a deal than approve an unsuitable bid.

When Mr Broughton, a keen Chelsea supporter, was appointed to the role in April, he vowed to stay away from matches between the two sides until Liverpool’s future was resolved. With the London club not due to visit Anfield until November, Mr Broughton should be free to take his seat in the away supporters’ end – but it could be a close-run thing.

FT.com / Companies / Travel & Leisure - Trophy status wanes as Liverpool’s owners walk alone

Edited by Dirk

Even if Huang (or whoever) could get £100m of his consortiums money to get the project started we could then sell the naming rights and we may only need £150m on top via a loan to finish it.

Once we have the stadium though I'm sure we can secure the loan over many years at a lower rate against the bricks and mortar.

That's obviously the dream scenario

Everyone supposedly who backs Kenny has denied it.

Either they are lying, or this Kenny fella is having a laugh.

I would love to know The Times source on the info in the paper the other way.

Just cos you deny something doesnt mean its not happening ant.

David Bick's Square 1 Consulting backs Kenny Huang's Liverpool FC bid

Football finance expert David Bick is supporting Chinese tycoon Kenny Huang in his attempts to gain control of Liverpool Football Club.

Huang, who is partnered by an unnamed sovereign wealth fund in the Far East, has reportedly lodged a £325m bid for the club. Liverpool’s current American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett took over three years ago and owe Royal Bank of Scotland nearly £240m.

Bick and his consultancy Square 1 Consulting are advising Huang on all media matters in relation to the bid.

Bick is one of the leading names in football finance and has considerable experience of foreign takeovers of England’s top clubs. Square 1 Consulting handled US businessman Randy Lerner’s acquisition of Aston Villa in 2006 and former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s controversial takeover of Manchester City in 2007.

Square 1 also has past involvement in Liverpool itself, having worked on Dubai International Capital’s unsuccessful pursuit of the club in 2008 via the agency’s association with Amanda Staveley of PCP Capital Partners who led DIC’s bid.

Towards the end of last season Bick penned an article on Square 1’s website titled ‘Liverpool FC must act now or face permanent decline’.

Anyone know who this bloke is?

Posted by mikejefferiesL4 at 6:26 PM

"From spending all day today on the phone and emails the Ken Huang Chinese/Hong Kong 'bid' now just sounds to me like just another potential smoke & mirror leveraged buyout. Will post all my findings here tomorrow but it doesn't look good to me...."

POOR SCOUSER TOMMY: SURELY NOT AGAIN???