You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Not a bad performance at all, although they never pressured us at all and were happy enough just to sit and let us play, which was nice of them, all very comfortable. My only concern is that my laptop was starting to overheat during the last 10 minutes, which isn't a good sign.

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zig, he is supposedly an almost 20 million pound player. He should be able to put his stamp on a match like this. He hasn't even come close.

I have very grave doubts about his ability to adapt mate, and I have since I first saw him play for us, but I think if he was perfectly comfortable and used to his team-mates we could still see quite a player. Problem is, it's more difficult to integrate a touch player into the team, as we saw with Garcia who was a very frustrating but ultimately worthwhile member of the squad as he had lots of quality but never quite fitted into our system. I think it's fair to say if you play with Aquilani or Garcia in your team you might have to change things around to get the best out of them.

I'm quite satisfied with that, considering it looked as though an upset could potentially be on the cards beforehand, given the squad they had out. Obviously it turns out that they were utter shite, and I'd fancy me and my mates to give them a game, but that's by the by. As the old cliche goes, you can only beat what's in front of you.

Two well taken goals from Ngog and I thought Jovanovic looked quite handy as well. I was quite impressed with Amoo at times as well in how he always looked to make something happen, even if his final ball was a bit suspect at times.

I'd stick with that side for the return leg.

Good result, young lads did well.

I must admit I was disappointed with Aquilani and this is the second time he has done that this pre season. He seems to be a total luxury player in my opinion and I think he really has to up his game and from what I have seen thus far - I don't think he gets in our best XI.

I think you're asking a lot of Aquilani by the way El Rojo. I'm not a particular fan of his, but he's a touch player and this is his first game of the season and he hasn't played with half of this lot before, let alone had the time he needed last season to get used to the style of football we play or the senior players on the team. It's one of the question marks I have over him as well as his lack of defensive qualities; he's always going to be a luxury player but will we ever have time to gel him into the team? Really, really should have took the opportunity while we were fucking abject last season to give him as many minutes as he could walk unaided for.

Yep, fair enough points. He just looks fearful when there's a risk of any physicality with opponents, hopefully it's something he'll get over.

FFS, just drop the price tag for crying out loud. It's not his fault we overpaid.

Correct. But lets say he is worth half of what we paid for him, he should still be able to go into a game like this and put his mark on it and he really didn't.

Yep, fair enough points. He just looks fearful when there's a risk of any physicality with opponents, hopefully it's something he'll get over.

If you were a defender up against him, or a midfielder, the first thing you'd do is give him a kick. After that I think he'll bottle it. I can understand that considering his injury record, that's not his fault.

Could be a very good player with quality players around him though. If he gets another injury at the start of the season that'll be it for him I think. He needs some games and a goal or two would be a big plus!

If you were a defender up against him, or a midfielder, the first thing you'd do is give him a kick. After that I think he'll bottle it. I can understand that considering his injury record, that's not his fault.

Could be a very good player with quality players around him though. If he gets another injury at the start of the season that'll be it for him I think. He needs some games and a goal or two would be a big plus!

We were okay against a very shit team. What was most apparent watching that for me though is just how poor we are in the middle of the field, probably the most important position on the pitch and it's our weakest. Lucas is an average to decent player, Spearing will be never good enough and Aquilani isn't any more of a central midfielder than Gerrard is these days.

Aquilani was really very disappointing tonight I thought. Aside from the abject performance, his whole demeanour doesn't inspire any confidence. Never looks up for it.

Amoo has a way to go, if he can learn how to dribble with the ball he'd be a world beater.

We were okay against a very shit team. What was most apparent watching that for me though is just how poor we are in the middle of the field, probably the most important position on the pitch and it's our weakest. Lucas is an average to decent player, Spearing will be never good enough and Aquilani isn't any more of a central midfielder than Gerrard is these days.

Aquilani was really very disappointing tonight I thought. Aside from the abject performance, his whole demeanour doesn't inspire any confidence. Never looks up for it.

Amoo has a way to go, if he can learn how to dribble with the ball he'd be a world beater.

What? How can you say the above and then say the following?

Either he should take it easy to avoid getting injured or he should risk it all in a pre-season nothing match. Which is it? Surely you can understand him wanting to save himself and build confidence in his body?

After a 2-0 away win in a pretty much pre season game with lots of reserves why would anyone bother to criticize individual players or the team. They did well, the manager did well, and Aquilani's a good player. Yes, he needs more games, just like the rest of the team.

Decent performance overall.

Today I decided that I still really like Spearing and Darby as Liverpool players. They both have some way to go but if we wrote players off at 22 we wouldn't have Carra with us today. One more season to prove themselves (we need them for the 25 man squad anyway).

I also quite like Eccleston, I really couldn't see what all the fuss was about last season and I still get annoyed as he gives up on things too easily. But he has become a lot more direct since his loan spell, he's lost the naivity that Amoo still has. I'm warming to the little egotist. That's my judgement from the three games, not just this cameo.

Amoo is Amoo as I said earlier, naive but dangerous.

Aquilani was poor, but I kind of expected it, he doesn't like playing without the likes of Gerrard and Maxi about, he needs close passing in the final third to shine.

Kelly looked a bit laboured in the first half but shone in the second.

Jovo showed some skill and obviously wanted to get in the middle more but stuck to his task dilligently. Traded places with Aquilani and Amoo during the match really well. If Gerrard/Cole/Maxi/Aquilani/Kuyt/Jovo can pull of that trick together through the season we'll confuse a few defences.

N'Gog looks fit and determined. Quality finish for the second.

I thought Aquilani did okay tonight. I still don't think that we'll get the best outta him playing him off the front man. Him and Gerrard with Lucas behind them as a midfield 3 would work far better. He just seems a bit lost in the role.

He's, like many, not even close to being match fit. He's had what an hour before tonight?

Anyway, job done with a great deal of professionalism. It shouldn't have been a tricky tie for us and we made sure that it weren't. For that the boys deserve some credit.

I also quite like Eccleston, I really couldn't see what all the fuss was about last season and I still get annoyed as he gives up on things too easily. But he has become a lot more direct since his loan spell, he's lost the naivity that Amoo still has. I'm warming to the little egotist. That's my judgement from the three games, not just this cameo.

After seeing him in the same games he's another player I'm hoping to see more of. Amoo looks great at times, but then his final ball seems to let him down. Hopefully he'll sort that out over time, but would love to see how Eccleston would do as a striker with our 1st team behind him.

After seeing him in the same games he's another player I'm hoping to see more of. Amoo looks great at times, but then his final ball seems to let him down. Hopefully he'll sort that out over time, but would love to see how Eccleston would do as a striker with our 1st team behind him.

Remember how poor Lennon was to start with though. These things take time.