You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Its exactly the same as it was/is with Mourinho.

People who dislike Rafa seemed to have less of a problem with Mourinho being a massive cunt.

People who dislike Rafa will give Purslow the benefit of the doubt.

So are you saying these people are more understanding and dont hold grudges like the others?

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In terms of those suggesting Hodgson may have wanted the mural taken down, I think there are a few things to consider.

1) Hodgson - by all accounts - is a pretty nice guy. Why would he risk alienating Gerrard/Carragher by effacing a monument to their greatest professional achievements?

2)Why, also, would one of his first acts be to erase remnants of the previous regime? It's not a pissing contest - all managers should want the same thing: the continued glory of the club.

3) The mural commemorated an achievement that is now five years old. Although it is, to a degree, inseparable from the last manager, it is far more a part of our history than it is a tribute to our most recent success, i.e it isn't comparable to a similar commemoration at Inter.

I tend to agree, to an extent, that the article is written in a tone that slings mud at Purslow, who is admittedly a popular hate figure.

However, I also find it more plausible that Purslow would have ordered its removal than that Hodgson would have. It's well documented that Purslow and Benitez didn't get on, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if Purslow would stoop to something so petty.

But to be honest, this shouldn't really be a bone of contention. Is Purslow's position really defensible? I already think he's a bellend whether he did or didn't do this, he's toxic to the club as are the Americans. Somebody earlier in the thread described themselves as 'numb' to this revelation (whether it's true or false). I tend to agree with that. Whether he did or didn't do this is just one more or less disgrace to add to a fairly immitigable list. It certainly shouldn't be an issue that's dividing support in the way it has - but I think the fact that it's done so is a sad illumination of the current state of affairs.

Guest davelfc

I'm shocked, staggered, wide mouthed, aghast and also at the same time furious.

If true, I cannot believe that someone at the club wants to denigrate the achievements of our previous manager. Don't these clueless bastards know that's the job of people on football forums?

Roy's only been here a few days and posters on here are already accusing him of acting like a cunt and ripping down Sammy's mural. Get behind him FFS.

To be fair I don't think anyone has a problem if Roy took it down. I think everyone will get behind him.

Roy's only been here a few days and posters on here are already accusing him of acting like a cunt and ripping down Sammy's mural. Get behind him FFS.

It's a misunderstanding. Hodgson was pointing out that the World Cup players were returning soon and training needed to be stepped up.

Unfortunately "Sammy, we need to get more real down at Melwood soon" can be misinterpreted if said by Roy.

It's a misunderstanding. Hodgson was pointing out that the World Cup players were returning soon and training needed to be stepped up.

Unfortunately "Sammy, we need to get more real down at Melwood soon" can be misinterpreted if said by Roy.

An easy mistake to make.

I'd have no compunction at all calling him a cunt IF HE DID DO IT.

Most people - talking about Purslow or Hodgson have put a rider on their comments to the effect that "if true" then..........

I think that's fair.

Hodgson - by all accounts - is a pretty nice guy. Why would he risk alienating Gerrard/Carragher by effacing a monument to their greatest professional achievements?

Is he? I've read quite a few accounts which suggest he can be quietly vicious if you cross him. Not that this is a bad thing in a manager. And no, I don't think he went on a snarling, poster-ripping frenzy through the halls and corridors of Melwood either.

As I've said elsewhere, I've no doubt Purslow is a slimy, corporate fuck but it's perhaps regrettable that he's fast becoming a bigger target than the yanks. I'm pretty sure this is all part of the plan and we're merrily falling for it.

Can’t imagine that Hodgson’s first request on arrival was that a mural of the club’s greatest recent achievement be taken down, can you?

Exactly, which is why I have no problem with his boss making the decision.

Guest PurpleNose
So are you saying these people are more understanding and dont hold grudges like the others?

No, I'm saying they're cunts.

Fuckin hell we originally thought it couldn’t get any worse then this cunt Purslow arrives, along with a Chelsea fan as chairman for good measure, LFC is being decimated by outsiders who have no regard for the club, outright liars with no apparent regard for the club (of which there seems to be plenty of evidence to support) yet still some can’t see.

Can’t remember a season I haven’t looked forward to, this is probably the first, some say optimism, fucknell I’m sure there were some on death row who were still optimistic that the phone would ring with a reprieve right up till the moment they got scorched.

Worried that if Purslows the one by the phone maybe he's put it on silent.

I know one of the staff at Melwood. I asked him about this today and he said it had nothing to do with removing Rafa, he said the mural had to be replaced purely because of the Carlsberg logo's on the player's shirts. They can't have that when we've got new sponsors, it would be ridiculous.

He also said that the new one will feature Torres, Gerrard, Pepe and Carra in colour, with the Standard Chartered logo on their shirts. He said Rafa will be on it too, presumably in black and white with the other former players/managers.